Brandon Deadrick talks punishment

sogaaufan

I'm not asking for this guy to be lynched. I'm just asking for some kind of punishment that is the least bit believable. Why should I think a few hours of community service will change this guy's life?

If Deaderick plays out his UA career spotless without causing any type of trouble whatsoever, will you admit that this form of discipline was enough?

I highly doubt it. The problem is, you don't know if this will change his life or not, yet you've already formed your opinion that it won't.

I'm not asking for this guy to be lynched. I'm just asking for some kind of punishment that is the least bit believable. Why should I think a few hours of community service will change this guy's life?

If Deaderick plays out his UA career spotless without causing any type of trouble whatsoever, will you admit that this form of discipline was enough?

I highly doubt it. The problem is, you don't know if this will change his life or not, yet you've already formed your opinion that it won't.

I bet you sported "Save Tookie" t-shirts.

So is this how we should measure all criminals? Give them a slap on the wrist and see if it works out in the long run? No punishment that fits the crime. So no, even if he stays spotless for the rest of his life, this form of discipline is not enough.

We had a player get a misdemeanor for underage drinking and he missed 6 games. You have a player who gets a misdemeanor that includes resisting arrest, lying to a police officer, and bashing his head against a car window and he got "talk to old people."

I'm baffled at how you can defend any of this.

So is this how we should measure all criminals? Give them a slap on the wrist and see if it works out in the long run? No punishment that fits the crime. So no, even if he stays spotless for the rest of his life, this form of discipline is not enough.

We had a player get a misdemeanor for underage drinking and he missed 6 games. You have a player who gets a misdemeanor that includes resisting arrest, lying to a police officer, and bashing his head against a car window and he got "talk to old people."

I'm baffled at how you can defend any of this.

A few things here.

1. I have not defended his not being suspended for a number of games. If you can, find one spot where I said that he should not have been suspended.

2. I am not a judge. I do not know what type of punishment from our judicial system he will/did face. I think he has applied for youthful offender, so we probably will not ever know. With that said, will you really be shocked if he does/did get a slap on the wrist from the judicial system? I'll be shocked if he didn't.

3. You asked, "Why should I think a few hours of community service will change this guy's life?" Explain to me how you've drawn the conclusion that community service won't change this guy's life, but being suspended for a # of games will.

For what it's worth, I think Deaderick should have been suspended if not thrown off the team. That is my opinion. Either way, I have no way to prove that nothing short of a suspension would change this guys life. It would be ignorant for me to make and argue that point. People make mistakes. If they are caught, they are punished by our law. It is up to them to decide whether or not they are going to change.

If he is the "low-life" you say he is, I don't see how being suspended for a number of games is going to change him.

Its an indictment of the public's feelings on the elderly when going to visit them in an assisted living facility is considered "community service."

It'd be one thing to visit your grandparents. But to visit strangers in an assited living facility, to me, is community service. It's a good thing. And I don't think one would just randomly hit up an old folks home to hang out.

Why do you suppose that Shula and (thus far) Saban seem utterly unwilling to put any real teeth into discipline? I thought Saban had a reputation for not putting up with s*** like this the way Shula did. He doesn't seem appreciably different so far.

Well he did suspend Keith and Prince. For what we don't know. I didn't think Simeon deserved a suspension. So really Deaderick is the only case of someone getting a free pass IMO.

And who knows, maybe he is soft on players, or maybe Deaderick was lucky to be the first one to get in trouble...and got a free pass.

...or maybe Brandon was lucky he plays DT. Saban doesn't have one to spare.

You know, guys, you can deflect this all you want, but the bottom line is that your 4 million dollar savior wimped out on this one. And you know it! Deep inside you know that the first time he was faced with adversity after he took this job, he totally lost his guts. He looked at the situation (and at the depth chart) and decided to let this guy off scot free for an offense that nearly every other coach in the country wouldn't have let slide. Of course, we can't let a little thing like a run in with the law cost us a game now can we.

Don't worry, guys, Saban DID send a message here. Hey recruits, do you like how they do it at ,FSU, VT,UF, and Miami? Well come on down to Bama. You ain't seen nothin' yet!

And you've already formed your opinion that it will. We'll probably never know, will we? Unless, of course, we hear his name on TV for robbing/killing/whatever.

When does he face the court system for the resolution of his misdemeanor charges? I'm guessing part of the court order will include an extended probationary period (particularly if he's granted youthful offender status as he's asking for)--in which case, I'd expect that to be a bigger deterent to future misbehavior than any time spent at the old folks home under Saban's orders.

And you've already formed your opinion that it will.

Wrong.

For what it's worth, I think Deaderick should have been suspended if not thrown off the team. That is my opinion. Either way, I have no way to prove that nothing short of a suspension would change this guys life. It would be ignorant for me to make and argue that point.

Those were my exact words.

for comparison.....Texas Tech LB suspended for marijuana possession. Now in AL the first time caught with marijuana is a misdemeanor. Yet Deadrick gives a false name (big no-no lying to a police officer), resisting arrest (second no-no, don't fight back), and busting a window (third no-no, don't damage a police car). OH, BG, just b/c they are misdemeanors doesn't mean you don't get jail time. I would have to look up the punishment, but I guess these could fall into the category of up to 6 months jail time, of course at the judges decision. But in my experience as a cop, something like this always got sometime, although it may be suspended sentence with probation. It's up to the judge. If he has never been in trouble before he might get probation especially b/c of age, depends on a lot of factors from the judicial system side.

But as a coach, something like that should not be tolerated. If the others got suspended then why didn't he? why did they?

Archived