UA responds to throwing objects

runswithscissors

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2007...LATEST/71003028

i'm glad they are attempting to do something about this. hopefully more schools follow suit. i'm not sure how many have policies like this in place. the fraternities that were identified from the UGA game are having their seats moved back as of now. i would have liked them to start on the scale below, but i guess UA didn't give warning to anyone (like its not common sense anyways) so maybe they decided to do it that way.

1st offense - student will be banned from using student ticket for 3 games

2nd offense - student cannot buy student tickets for that sport again

3rd offense - student cannot attend any UA sporting event for the remainder of their time at the university

and for the idiot frat kids that decide to throw, the fraternity will have to identify which students throw something. if they cannot identify or refuse to identify, then the entire fraternity will be subject to the above rules. i'm sure this will not end absolutely all throwing of objects, but at least it is a step in the right direction. its only a matter of time until someone is seriously injured by something.

I wish we'd do the same for our students throwing opposing team's footballs out of the stadium.

I wish we'd do the same for our students throwing opposing team's footballs out of the stadium.

are you aware of any schools who have a specific policy written out for throwing things onto the field? i'm sure there must be some out there (i can't seem to find any), but i'm wondering how UA's compares to others.

You can have the toughest policy in the world, but if you can't/don't enforce it, it is worthless. This policy won't matter until they start applying the consequences.

Good luck with that. One thing I know as an educator in 2007 is how hard it is to apply consequences and endure all the crap and complaining that comes with it.

You can have the toughest policy in the world, but if you can't/don't enforce it, it is worthless. This policy won't matter until they start applying the consequences.

Good luck with that. One thing I know as an educator in 2007 is how hard it is to apply consequences and endure all the crap and complaining that comes with it.

well, everyone now knows the rules and what will happen. so i don't see where they can have much room to complain. if they complain, oh well, they probably shouldnt have thrown something onto the field.

I would hope that it would be easier in college to enforce consequences. To say nothing of the assault charge that easily be levied at the bottle chucker.

But you know with some of the helicopter parents around now they will be bangin on the presidents office asking for little Bobby's student tickets back or they will whip out the lawsuit.

:no:

I'm glad to see they are taking steps to fix this. I also think it will be hard to enforce with so many people crammed into a small space. It would be easy to throw and duck

Yes, it will be hard to enforce, but its only going to take a few people getting busted to quiet down the masses. Its a good move. The universities should self police rather than the SEC getting involved.

I'm glad to see they are taking steps to fix this. I also think it will be hard to enforce with so many people crammed into a small space. It would be easy to throw and duck

True...it may require continuous security camera taping of the student sction, with extra monitoring during high-risk times such as when the opposing team is entering or leaving the field in front of the students. With such taped evidence, though, I don't see anyone having real grounds for a lawsuit.

I applaud the concept and effort, however! :thumbsup:

As an aside, though, I couldn't help but chuckle over this quote from the article:

The student must also attend "Capstone Character Class"...
"Capstone Character"? :lol:

crapstone character?...indeed.

Would that class be headed up by ray-ray or mariJUAN?

They are already enforcing rules. The frat groups responsible (that could be identified) for the chucking lost their reserve spot and have been moved back away from the field.

I've never heard of this. Is this like on field goals?

Guest Tigrinum Major

It is on field goals, not "like" on field goals.

What else would be "like" a field goal, outside of a PAT, which is just a gimme field goal?

They are already enforcing rules. The frat groups responsible (that could be identified) for the chucking lost their reserve spot and have been moved back away from the field.

Yes. It's pretty funny actually. When they kick a FG or XP, the student section passes the ball up to the top of the seats and then the final row tosses the ball over the side of the stadium. I am not sure if it is done everytime...

Ha, an easier fix would be for satan to TELL the heathens that if they throw anything on the field he will

leave and coach somewhere else.

Yes. It's pretty funny actually. When they kick a FG or XP, the student section passes the ball up to the top of the seats and then the final row tosses the ball over the side of the stadium. I am not sure if it is done everytime...

it's funny the first time but stupid after that. This is something they picked up from Kentucky I think.

They may not have been the first to do it but they did it a few years back. Now it looks like most places are starting to use the nets

Kentucky did it to us at their stadium. We started it (at least recently) against Florida last year. It was indeed funny the first time because the Florida ballboys reacted like spoiled children at someone else's birthday party. But after that, it got to be ridiculous.

I mean, honestly. Does New Mexico St have enough money to spend on new footballs?

it's funny the first time but stupid after that. This is something they picked up from Kentucky I think.

They may not have been the first to do it but they did it a few years back. Now it looks like most places are starting to use the nets

I think the student section in the "Big House" does this too. Maybe not anymore, but did.

Call me what you want or call it stupid...but I get a chuckle when I see it.

Also, yeah...I remember listening to Jim Fyffe call the Kentucky game when it was first done to us. If memory serves me correcty, Auburn scored a ton that day and Jim made the statement that the Kentucky's student section was going to have dead arm tomorrow...or something to that affect. He got a kick out of it though!

You guys remember the 97 Iron Bowl, when the football team ripped the goal posts down, and passed it to the student section. Who then promptly took the goal posts to the top of the lower bowl. Carl Stephens announced "Your attention please, to the students, please do not throw that .... thing... off of the top of the stadium."

This is impossible to enforce because of the level of guessing that UAT has to do to decide where the object came from. There is way to much Greek money that swaps hands at UAT for Witt to continue this blind punishment.

Call me what you want or call it stupid...but I get a chuckle when I see it.

Also, yeah...I remember listening to Jim Fyffe call the Kentucky game when it was first done to us. If memory serves me correcty, Auburn scored a ton that day and Jim made the statement that the Kentucky's student section was going to have dead arm tomorrow...or something to that affect. He got a kick out of it though!

I think Michigan throws marshmallows during the games

Ha, an easier fix would be for satan to TELL the heathens that if they throw anything on the field he will

leave and coach somewhere else.

:roflol:

I'm just picturing the first person to violate the rule if Saban did in fact say that.

And then some enraged, overweight, mulleted, fu-manchu sporting redneck stand up like "Noooo!!!! Do you got any idea wut you jist done?!?!?" Then some distant voice in the background cries "Let's git eem!!" and then then the guy gets beat down there in the stands.

Well, apparently UA has already enforced it to some degree by punishing whole fraternities for the actions of their members. I think moving them to less desirable seating is a good start. If it continues and a frat becomes a repeat offender, I'd consider revoking their seating privileges altogether. Maybe the second time they do it, they lose the right to have seating together at all and are policed to make sure they don't try to save seats either. Third strikes and every member of the frat loses their season tickets.

Good. I am glad to see Bama taking some measures because what happened was pretty dispicable, imo. It wasn't just cups but bottles per players and it wasn't just right after the pile but after as well.

I quoted (in another thread) a former player who was on the field saying he saw enough bottles to put a slew of people in the hospital.

I am hoping UGA does this as well so if another Auburn from 2005 happens, our students NEVER get allowed in the stadium EVER AGAIN

Totally uncalled for

Well, apparently UA has already enforced it to some degree by punishing whole fraternities for the actions of their members. I think moving them to less desirable seating is a good start. If it continues and a frat becomes a repeat offender, I'd consider revoking their seating privileges altogether. Maybe the second time they do it, they lose the right to have seating together at all and are policed to make sure they don't try to save seats either. Third strikes and every member of the frat loses their season tickets.

This is what I'm talking about. Punishing those who threw nothing in order to get the one that threw it... That won't last too long. It can't. It's un-American.

The University is hoping that the threat of severe consequences is enough deterrent to prevent throwing stuff. I hope they are right because they are going to have a mess if they start punishing groups to get individuals.

Archived