Pelini to take Nebraska Job.....

kickerman97

There's no confirmation either way. Pelini threw out some coach-speak when he said he had no idea where they got their information from (never actually denied the report though) and Dr Tom said he had no comment either way. There's a lot of speculation right now that Pelini will be the HC and Turner Gill will come back to NU as an Asst HC/OffCoord. Some question if Gill would really do that. I have to think he will since I believe he never really wanted to leave in the first place but felt he needed to get away from the atmosphere that Pederson created within the Athletic Dept. But at the same time, Buffalo really likes Gill and he's making some great progress there. So a lot remains to be seen.

Interestingly enough, shortly after Osborne interviewed Gill and Pelini, he named himself Interim HC so he could go out and recruit. A lot of fans pointed that out and asked "If he was still searching for a coach, why would he be out recruiting instead of interviewing other candidates?" Grobe did get an informal interview but he has a pretty hefty contract right now with a fairly steep buyout. Rumor also circulated that Dr. Tom was going to interview Paul Johnson from Navy and possibly Brian Kelly from Cincy. Never heard if they were interviewed or not but I do know Cincy gave NU permission to talk to Kelly.

We (Husker fans) are thinking we'll hear something official either Sunday or Monday (more than likely Monday AFTER all the NFL hoopla is over). Regardless of when it happens, it won't be a day too soon so we can start moving forward

ESPN talked about Osborne naming himself interim HC. It's a way to get by the rules of one in house recruiting visit by a coach. This way Osborne can make a visit and then the newly hired coach can still make a visit. Actually thought that was pretty smart. For what its worth.

There's no confirmation either way. Pelini threw out some coach-speak when he said he had no idea where they got their information from (never actually denied the report though) and Dr Tom said he had no comment either way. There's a lot of speculation right now that Pelini will be the HC and Turner Gill will come back to NU as an Asst HC/OffCoord. Some question if Gill would really do that. I have to think he will since I believe he never really wanted to leave in the first place but felt he needed to get away from the atmosphere that Pederson created within the Athletic Dept. But at the same time, Buffalo really likes Gill and he's making some great progress there. So a lot remains to be seen.

Interestingly enough, shortly after Osborne interviewed Gill and Pelini, he named himself Interim HC so he could go out and recruit. A lot of fans pointed that out and asked "If he was still searching for a coach, why would he be out recruiting instead of interviewing other candidates?" Grobe did get an informal interview but he has a pretty hefty contract right now with a fairly steep buyout. Rumor also circulated that Dr. Tom was going to interview Paul Johnson from Navy and possibly Brian Kelly from Cincy. Never heard if they were interviewed or not but I do know Cincy gave NU permission to talk to Kelly.

We (Husker fans) are thinking we'll hear something official either Sunday or Monday (more than likely Monday AFTER all the NFL hoopla is over). Regardless of when it happens, it won't be a day too soon so we can start moving forward

Thanks for the InsideHusker info. :)

ESPN talked about Osborne naming himself interim HC. It's a way to get by the rules of one in house recruiting visit by a coach. This way Osborne can make a visit and then the newly hired coach can still make a visit. Actually thought that was pretty smart. For what its worth.

And that's exactly why he did it. We lost Blaine Gabbert (5-star QB recruit from Missouri) a few weeks back when Callahan supposedly told him to do what is best for him after he had committed to NU. We also lost Jonas Gray to Notre Dame which was really no big surprise since he said outright he wanted to go to ND but they never recruited him initially. I don't know if Osborne is "recruiting" so much as he is possibly re-affirming/re-assuring NU's committment to the recruits. Although Simi Kuli (JUCO 5-Star DE) hinted that Osborne is the one who actually recruited him. Either way, it's nice seeing him out there on the recruiting trail and handling things the way he has been. His being the AD has really helped ease a lot of minds in Husker Nation. The only thing that would make things complete and bring unrivaled joy to Husker Fans is if Osborne names himself the HC, straps on the headset and takes us back to smash-mouth football :) Unfortunately, that won't happen :(

With regard to Pelini, his hiring (if confirmed) brings with it a lot of mixed emotions. Some are thrilled and harken back to 2003 when he was our DC and eventual Interim HC for our bowl game after Solich was fired. Many felt he should have been named HC and Pelini admitted he wanted to be HC but Pederson wanted nothing to do with him. His fiery persona on the sidelines was a welcomed addition and reminded everyone of the Blackshirts during the 90's. On the other hand, the critics are concerned about his ability to stop an offense with a running game and point out our 3 huge losses in 2003 along with the most recent LSU loss to Arkansas in 3OT's. They also point out LSU fans' desire to see Pelini gone as reason enough he shouldn't be the HC. To go along with that is his lack of HC'ing experience and lack of desire to recruit. For those reason, the Pelini critics seem to think Gill would be the better hire (Brian Kelly and Paul Johnson are also named as desirable HC's). They feel his experience with NU as a player, Grad Asst and eventual Asst HC at NU along with his HC'ing experience at Buffalo and his ability to recruit make him the best possible candidate. The Gill critics point at his lack of HC'ing experience as well as a reason he shouldn't be HC.

Personally, the scenario I see playing out is Pelini becomes HC with Gill as OC/Asst HC. I don't see Pelini staying at NU for more than 10 years max before he takes another head coaching job. From that point, Gill would be named HC. The one thing I think Gill gives NU is stability. I envision him staying at Nebraska for many, many years. At least I hope so.

No matter the outcome, not everyone is going to be happy in Husker-land. There are going to be fans who question (insert coaches name here) hiring and why (insert coaches name here) wasn't hired instead. The only thing that is going to make everyone happy is NU once again becomes competitive. We're not looking to return to the glory days of the 90's, but as long as we're competitive each year and don't get blasted out of the water during a game (read: KU vs NU 2007), fans will, for the most part, be happy.

Sorry for my rant. The Husker message boards have become a plethora of rumors and though they can be entertaining, some fans take the rumorville to a whole 'nother level resulting in fans turning on each other making it difficult at times to have a reasonable conversation.

Thanks again for the info HuskerFan. Most Auburn fans, in my experience, seem to like the Husker program. I think you guys will do fine (And it sure doesnt hurt that you are taking Pelini away from LSU :) )

It is now official. Bo Pelini is the new head coach at Nebraska

HuskerExtra.com

Tom Osborne joked that when he began to research possible football coaches, he found only one who was unbeaten over the past few years. LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, 1-0 as an interim head coach at Nebraska in 2003, was four years later introduced as Nebraska’s next coach.

The announcement came at a Sunday afternoon news conference at Memorial Stadium.

Archived