Time To Get On Board

AUesquire

Okay, no updates on him actually signing but all indications are that he is the man. Now...ASSUMING that is the case, I think it's time to get excited about the possibilities for the next few years. We will definitely see something vastly different than we've seen at AU in a long time. Bowden tried to run his Diddy's version of the spread. I was not a fan of it and I think the whole concept failed for a variety of reasons, most of which centered around Bowden himself. But, that's another story for another time.

But, despite the overall shortcomings of the program after Bowden installed the new offense, there was a time there when they were putting up sick numbers offensively. My optimism comes from the fact that I truly believe this team is loaded to the gills with talent. I think Bowden's teams had good talent at certain positions but was inferior overall to the state of CTT's program. Another reason for hope is CTT's emphasis on defense. We always have and always will have a strong defense that will give us a chance on it's own to win virtually every ball game we play. The same cannot be said for the Bowden era.

I compare the impending offensive philosophy to Bowden's program because that is the only time in history an Auburn program has ever run what will surely be that wide open an offense. The biggest reason for my optimism is that we are hiring an expert in this area who developed his own system and who has been extremely successful running it everywhere he's been. Bowden on the other hand, was simply trying to copy his Diddy's style and at times, it was painfully obvious he had no clue what he was doing. Here's two questions for you:

1. Has Tony Franklin ever been at a program where there was a defense the caliber of Auburn University?

2. If Tony Franklin is named OC, do we have any choice other than getting on board and pull for the absolute best to happen?

If he signs on, our offense will be much improved. That's a guarantee. I'm not a big fan of the true spread..IF that's what he will run. But, some version of it is coming, whether we agree with it or not. Will the success last for several years? Who knows? But, initially, it's going to be wild and fun to watch. And with the defense you know we're going to put on the field next year, is Atlanta and beyond within reason? I think so.

1. Has Tony Franklin ever been at a program where there was a defense the caliber of Auburn University?

No he has not.

2. If Tony Franklin is named OC, do we have any choice other than getting on board and pull for the absolute best to happen?

For most of us, we support who is there while they are there. Then there are those who will bitch and moan and carry a grudge for years because "their guy" didn't get hired.

I hope Blake and Kodi and Neil start loosing the shoulders up. I don't want to see anyone's arm falling off in the middle of the season. And at least Mario has great hands and Brad looked great from the slot against LSU! So regardless we should get to see those guys a lot. Good times. Yay, spread offense.

If he signs on, our offense will be much improved. That's a guarantee. I'm not a big fan of the true spread..IF that's what he will run. But, some version of it is coming, whether we agree with it or not. Will the success last for several years? Who knows? But, initially, it's going to be wild and fun to watch. And with the defense you know we're going to put on the field next year, is Atlanta and beyond within reason? I think so.

Also, it's key to remember that Bowden's offense only failed because he couldn't recruit quality players. Franklin is, by all accounts, a good recruiter. I'm drinking the kool-aid baby! Mmmmm.......orange.

Also, it's key to remember that Bowden's offense only failed because he couldn't recruit quality players.

No. No, that's not it at all.

No? I was young, but I remember AU lighting up the scoreboards in 93, and 94. The offense continued to produce until 98, when all of Dye's players left. Am I missing something?

I do not believe that TT is going to get completley away from running the football. What I see with Franklin is a a two-headed monster that will be difficult to stop. We are not called "RB U" for nothing!

Also, it's key to remember that Bowden's offense only failed because he couldn't recruit quality players.

No. No, that's not it at all.

No? I was young, but I remember AU lighting up the scoreboards in 93, and 94. The offense continued to produce until 98, when all of Dye's players left. Am I missing something?

No you're not missing anything. The big bitch about Terry was that recruiting fell off dramatically and losing set in.

His downfall began when he took Rodney Garner off hands-on coaching and recruiting. I don't support RG's rumored style and ethics, but he could land good players.

Geez. I really wanted Jack Crowe to come back, but since you put it that way Barrister...I am on the Franklin Train. Woo Woo

I wanted Jack Bauer. <_<

I do not believe that TT is going to get completley away from running the football. What I see with Franklin is a a two-headed monster that will be difficult to stop. We are not called "RB U" for nothing!

That's what I'm thinking. We all know how stubborn Tubs can be and it's near impossible to get a coach to change his whole philosophy on how he game should be played. I'm excited about it though.

Just saw the thread where it's official. No choice now. Get on board or become a Bammer. :big:

That made my choice a whole lot easier.

WAR DAMN FRANKLIN (And I don't mean Byron...)

Guest BoStillKnows

So now we are going to be Spread U or U Spread? Or maybe U Spread & Run?

Spread Eagle... love it

Sorry if this has already been addressed... but since so many high schools in the south run Franklin's offense, or at least some variation thereof... does that mean a lot of our younger players might already be familiar w/ it? Does that potentially allow the O to hit the ground running in the spring?

Spread Eagle... love it

Sorry if this has already been addressed... but since so many high schools in the south run Franklin's offense, or at least some variation thereof... does that mean a lot of our younger players might already be familiar w/ it? Does that potentially allow the O to hit the ground running in the spring?

I was wondering the same thing. Many of the best high school teams in Alabama run this offense. Prattville, Hoover, and Spain Park come to mind. Kodi ran this offense at his high school. If I'm not mistaken, Tommy Trott ran it at his. This could be very beneficial to Auburn in terms of early production by young players, as well as recruiting.

I was wondering the same thing. Many of the best high school teams in Alabama run this offense. Prattville, Hoover, and Spain Park come to mind. Kodi ran this offense at his high school. If I'm not mistaken, Tommy Trott ran it at his. This could be very beneficial to Auburn in terms of early production by young players, as well as recruiting.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Welcome aboard Tony! I'm looking forward to seeing what our new offense looks like. And the "Spread Eagle" is very catchy. Should be exciting to watch.

One thing that worries me just a little: if all these high school offenses are running his scheme, does that mean that all kinds of HS defenses have already game-planned against it? I'm sure what he does with us will not be exactly what he was teaching to the high schoolers, just saying that HS familiarity may cut both ways.

Archived