BCS: What a joke

GalensGhost

What a crock of crap. Let's ne realistic here. Were those the two best teams in the country? Hardly. LSU is arguably the third or fourth best team in the conference. How many SEC teams would Ohio State beat?

LSU? Never

Florida? Not likely

Tennessee? Nope

Auburn? Not close

Georgia? Hahaha. No.

SC? Maybe

Arkansas? Probably not

Kentucky? Not this year

Alabama? Possibly but I doubt it

MSU? Perhaps

Vandy and Ole Miss? Sure.

In the SEC OSU doesn't come close to winning either division.

PATHETIC

USC/UGA was the real match up here. This season was crazy as hell and all the more reason for a playoff. But, if you're matching up the two teams playing the best at the end of the season, the Dawgs and Trojans get my vote.

Not to say that would have made the BCS legit....I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE BCS!!!!!!!

But, LSU and OSU were not the two best teams and LSU had less business being there than 5-6 teams. They won, but good God, they had no business whatsoever being sent to the championship game after losing 2 games, much less to Kentucky and Arkansas.

Yet again another BCS MNC blowout. How many more of these we need to have before some NCAA big wig gets a wild hair up their butt and realize the system is not working? All hail the almighty dollar! :hail:

OSU and OU should have their BCS game privileges revoked until further notice. When is someone going to take notice? I think other conferences are afraid of a playoff b/c they are afraid teh SEC would completly dominate. This year UGA and LSU in a 8 team playoff...chances are good they would come out playing each other for the championship.

The all mighty dollar...we will never see a playoff!!!!!!!!

I don't think Ohio St looked that bad (in comparison to last season's NCG). They were surprisingly young. I had no idea how young their team was until they introduced the starting lineups.

Ohio St wouldn't beat Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, or Auburn (with Franklin).

They'd destroy Arkansas. Ohio St's defense was pretty stout tonight for the most part. They had a few bad breaks and played a very talented LSU offense.

Was Ohio St worthy of being #1 or even #2? Not a chance. But how can you really tell during the season? They play a schedule that is somewhat respected. Two years in a row, they played Texas. Next year they'll play USC. They play in a BCS conference. They only lost one game to a pretty good Illinois team. They didn't lose any games they were big time favorites in. They beat Michigan. They do well in recruiting. They've only lost three games in two years - two of which were in national championship games. They've only lost one regular season game in two years. When it comes to forming a subjective opinion on Ohio St football, it's hard not to put them at the top of the rankings.

And besides, who else would you vote in? Remember the BCS/AP/Coaches/Harris rankings come before the bowls, so USC's dominant performance over Illinois is moot. They lost to Stanford and Oreg,on and they struggled against Washington, Arizona, and Cal. Kansas lost their last regular season game to Missouri, which knocked them out of contention because we all love conference champions in the NC, thus bringing us to Georgia. The Bulldogs lost to South Carolina and Tennessee. They struggled against Vanderbilt, Alabama, Kentucky, and even Troy. Oklahoma lost to Colorado and Texas Tech. Virginia Tech was blown out by LSU. What team honestly had the more impressive season? Ohio St or any of the other contenders?

The answer's a playoff. The BCS did its job. It took all the subjective opinions of college football and formulated a ranking. What was left was LSU and Ohio St playing on January 7th.

USC/UGA was the real match up here. This season was crazy as hell and all the more reason for a playoff. But, if you're matching up the two teams playing the best at the end of the season, the Dawgs and Trojans get my vote.

Not to say that would have made the BCS legit....I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE BCS!!!!!!!

But, LSU and OSU were not the two best teams and LSU had less business being there than 5-6 teams. They won, but good God, they had no business whatsoever being sent to the championship game after losing 2 games, much less to Kentucky and Arkansas.

So Georgia deserved to go even though they lost to South Carolina and Tennessee? Not to mention, they struggled against Kentucky and had fits with Troy's offense. Lameduck GA Tech didn't go down easily either. If we're going to criticize LSU's season, we have to do the same for Georgia.

Ohio St's defense was pretty stout tonight for the most part. They had a few bad breaks and played a very talented LSU offense.

Ok I have issues with that statement. OSU's defense was getting dominated. LSU did anything and everything they wanted to against them. LSU was running the ball for like 8 yards a pop.

I don't think Ohio St looked that bad (in comparison to last season's NCG). They were surprisingly young. I had no idea how young their team was until they introduced the starting lineups.

Ohio St wouldn't beat Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, or Auburn (with Franklin).

They'd destroy Arkansas. Ohio St's defense was pretty stout tonight for the most part. They had a few bad breaks and played a very talented LSU offense.

Was Ohio St worthy of being #1 or even #2? Not a chance. But how can you really tell during the season? They play a schedule that is somewhat respected. Two years in a row, they played Texas. Next year they'll play USC. They play in a BCS conference. They only lost one game to a pretty good Illinois team. They didn't lose any games they were big time favorites in. They beat Michigan. They do well in recruiting. They've only lost three games in two years - two of which were in national championship games. They've only lost one regular season game in two years. When it comes to forming a subjective opinion on Ohio St football, it's hard not to put them at the top of the rankings.

And besides, who else would you vote in? Remember the BCS/AP/Coaches/Harris rankings come before the bowls, so USC's dominant performance over Illinois is moot. They lost to Stanford and Oreg,on and they struggled against Washington, Arizona, and Cal. Kansas lost their last regular season game to Missouri, which knocked them out of contention because we all love conference champions in the NC, thus bringing us to Georgia. The Bulldogs lost to South Carolina and Tennessee. They struggled against Vanderbilt, Alabama, Kentucky, and even Troy. Oklahoma lost to Colorado and Texas Tech. Virginia Tech was blown out by LSU. What team honestly had the more impressive season? Ohio St or any of the other contenders?

The answer's a playoff. The BCS did its job. It took all the subjective opinions of college football and formulated a ranking. What was left was LSU and Ohio St playing on January 7th.

There in is the problem, the stupid BCS rankings are nothing more than a compilation of human polls, a majority, and several "computer" guys rankings that are based on SOS, connecting wins, etc. Still their formulas are human formed. No computer can do what everyone is wanting done, for the best teams to be matched up together. The only way to do a playoff is to restructure FBS conferences, IMO. The way things are right now, it would be pretty much impossible to set up a playoff. Using the BCS rankings to field the bracket would not do any better. I do not know how to get it done, but something needs to get done.

I think OSU has a good football team, but all the Big 10 defenses are suspect in my book. UF still put what 35 on UM in a loss. We all have known that UFs D was young and vulnerable, thus the 3 regular season loses. I do think USC is one of the best teams in the country as is UGA, LSU and OSU. The current system played out the way it did, b/c LSU benefited by winning the SECCG, Mizzou losing their CCG hurt them. OSU only got back their by others, WVU and Mizzou losing in the final week. Fact is no team had an impressive resume this year, unless you wanted to argue with UHs regular season, but who honestly thought UH would hang with UGA? It was obvious on UHs opening drive they were outmatched. All of the top team, save UH, had losses. I think it will take some dedicated people to be able handle a changing of the guard to get rid of the BCS. I don't think it will ever go away partially thanks to our SEC Commish. There are IMO too many voters that do not have a clue. THey do not watch enough games, beign a sports writer does not make one an expert on college football. ESPN has employed boobs of former players and coaches to do nothing but spear head ratings. Blackledge and May I think are the only ones that half way make sense a majority of the time. These other types need to be gone!!!!!

Down with the BCS!!!!!!!!!

Did you guys not hear the commentary turn to how young OSU's team was this year near the end of the game? I swear one of the announcers said "2008 is the year you are going to have to look out for Ohio State.....they could very possibly be right back here next year..."

Did anyone else hear that???? Let the 2008 pimping begin!!!

Did you guys not hear the commentary turn to how young OSU's team was this year near the end of the game? I swear one of the announcers said "2008 is the year you are going to have to look out for Ohio State.....they could very possibly be right back here next year..."

Did anyone else hear that???? Let the 2008 pimping begin!!!

I nearly threw up when I heard that.

Georgia's going to have a hella good time with them next season.

One of my good friends (although a bammer) has come up with what I think is a good solution to the problem..

Force Notre Dame in to the Big 10(11) therefore giving them a championship game. Put Hawaii and Boise State in the PAC10 giving them a Championship game. Have the six big conference champions and two "wild-cards" from mid-majors. 8 team play off, affiliated through traditional bowl match-ups (I.E. Big 10 winner vs. PAC10 Winner in Rose Bowl, SEC winner vs. ACC winner in Sugar, Big 12 winner vs. Big East winner in Orange, two Wild Cards in Fiesta, then have the Wild Card winner face the Rose Bowl Winner, have the Orange Bowl Winner face the Sugar Bowl Winner, then the whole she-bang....

any thoughts??

One of my good friends (although a bammer) has come up with what I think is a good solution to the problem..

Force Notre Dame in to the Big 10(11) therefore giving them a championship game. Put Hawaii and Boise State in the PAC10 giving them a Championship game. Have the six big conference champions and two "wild-cards" from mid-majors. 8 team play off, affiliated through traditional bowl match-ups (I.E. Big 10 winner vs. PAC10 Winner in Rose Bowl, SEC winner vs. ACC winner in Sugar, Big 12 winner vs. Big East winner in Orange, two Wild Cards in Fiesta, then have the Wild Card winner face the Rose Bowl Winner, have the Orange Bowl Winner face the Sugar Bowl Winner, then the whole she-bang....

any thoughts??

couldn't be any worse than the current system.

One comment about the Ohio State schedule, since it was thrown in our face ad infinitum three years ago...they might normally play a decent team out of league, but the Buckeyes played a crap non-conference slate in 2007:

* Kent State

* Youngstown State

* Akron

* @ Washington, who is not good

LSU is the SEC Champs

LSU beat Big 10 Champ (crushed)

LSU beat the ACC Champ (crushed)

LSU beat the SEC East champ Tenn (extra game against top 10 opponent)

SEC went 7-2 in bowl games with UF the only team to truly choke (arky was in a bad situation and Mizzu is a good team)

Was it me or where most of the bowl games EMPTY! If we went to a playoff system I think it would generate huge excitement and revenue and the games would be packed. The Gator bowl looked almost as bad as the ACC champ game.

The commissioners of the conferences screwed the BCS this year by not allowing UGA to play USC.

SEC will not be in the MNC game next year due to the talent of the the teams and the rise of the lower teams in the confernce. As Miles stated USC has the easiest path to the MNC game, I would say OSU did but that is for another conversation.

For those of you crunching on USC they lost 2 same as LSU with 1 being to Stanford (nuff said). USC only played 1 top 10 team and lost to them.

Not saying they are the best but they did have the credentials to be there. USC still had a lot to prove. without a playoff there is no way to crown a champion.

any thoughts??

:thumbsup:

Absolutely. I'm all for this. Especially the Big Ten/Notre Dame situation. They have the easiest path to 12 teams, since the Irish are already in the heart of Big Ten country! I say just do it!

At the very least, the trend of letting smaller schools make the jump to 1-A ought to stop. No one's pretending they actually have an honest chance of winning the BCS title, and the major/mid-major split is almost 50/50 as it is. What's wrong with creating more divisions?

any thoughts??

Do I know you because I said this EXACT thing to a few people within the last week and I've had the idea for months.

any thoughts??

Do I know you because I said this EXACT thing to a few people within the last week and I've had the idea for months.

Will never happen. The PAthetiC 10 will NEVER give up the Rose Bowl tie in. The BCS/NCAA will never give up final control over who plays in the NC Game. Can you imagine the meltdown with the ad revenue losses if the BCSCG had ended up being WVU vs KU? No one but the relatively few true football fans would watch that game. Therefore there would be a huge loss in tv ad revenues and that would be the end of that. The BCS and the NCAA are about one thing and one thing only $$$. Re: Reggie Bush at :sc: So far no NCAA punishment. :sc: is their West Coast cash cow and the NCAA may not hand out anything for fear of losing the tv bucks.

Want to see who will be the up and coming programs in the NCAA? Look for teams with huge untapped tv fan bases. IE: Mizzou (KCK and KCMO) Rutgers, (NYC's closest team), Syracuse, UCONN, Maryland, Pitt, any major population base without a really good team now.

Already we see bowl games inviting teams based on fan following. We may get to the time where the BCSCG ends up being based on TV Shares. Why do you think ESPN spends almost the whole season pimping Big Ten, Big Twelve, a few select :sec: schools, and :sc: ? Guys, it may come down to relatively smaller schools like Alabama and Auburn not going because of the smallish tv audiences they would draw.

One comment about the Ohio State schedule, since it was thrown in our face ad infinitum three years ago...they might normally play a decent team out of league, but the Buckeyes played a crap non-conference slate in 2007:

* Kent State

* Youngstown State

* Akron

Funny you mention that...

Herbstreit was blathering yesterday about how the Buckeyes would be ready for the crowd because, get this -- they won in Seattle.

For Auburn to have beaten the quality teams they did in 2004 and get shut out while a pathetic SlowHio State squad beats absolutely nobody in walking into the title game is a travesty. I love Alabama as much as life itself, but I can't deny that you guys got jobbed.

any thoughts??

I like the idea of forcing the Big 10 and the PAC 10 into a conference championship game. I do not like the idea of having a playoff with all the conference champs though. Here's why.....

Let's say that Florida and Auburn finish the regular season undefeated next year. In the SECCG, Florida edges out Auburn by 3 points in OT. The "playoff" above would screw Auburn out of a Major Bowl game just because they couldn't win the SEC. The same Auburn team, although they couldn't beat out UF in the championship game, would most likely be better than any of the other 7 teams in the playoff. It would still defeat the purpose.

* Kent State

* Youngstown State

* Akron

Funny you mention that...

Herbstreit was blathering yesterday about how the Buckeyes would be ready for the crowd because, get this -- they won in Seattle.

But they tailgate off their boats up there. Dont you know how crazy they get coming off 5-7 seasons?

* Kent State

* Youngstown State

* Akron

a more revealing look at these games,

*kent state 3-9, probably could not beat the citadel, app. state or valdosta st. would run them off the field! local ohio college about like uwa, the definition of "we stink."

*youngstown state 7-5, the cream of this group, won games against no one of any consequence, i believe also another local ohio college, a little like uab when they mattered(see the watson years,except the last one)

*akron 4-8 actually forced ohio state to turn the ball over 5 times, forced 11 punts, and a SAFETY in a moral victory the likes of which never seen before except in tuscaloosa! in this HORRIFIC game ohio state led 3-2 at the half, against a team that had 3 first downs for the game, 2 of those coming on the first possession of the game, they added 2 touchdowns and a freakin' FG for the ultimate "thank god" win AT HOME against a team that got crucified by UCONN, lost to temple and BUFFALO.

*washington 4-8, not the definition of horrific in the pac 10, but lost more than they should, but did lose to hawaii, enough said.

Archived