Two UGA football players jailed

JohnDeere

AJC

Two UGA football players jailed

Pair suspended over alcohol-related charges

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/20/08

Athens -- The first clear signal the offseason has begun for Georgia football has arrived: Two Bulldogs football players were arrested and jailed early Sunday morning.

This marks the third straight offseason a Georgia player has been arrested in January or February.

University of Georgia police arrested cornerback Donavon Baldwin, 21, for improper driving and driving under the influence at 3:05 a.m. Sunday.

Fullback Fred Munzenmaier, 19, was arrested 34 minutes later by university police for underage possession of alcohol and being a pedestrian walking in the roadway.

Both were booked into Athens-Clarke County Jail and later released on bond -- $750 for Munzenmaier and $2,000 for Baldwin.

Georgia coach Mark Richt has suspended each of the players for at least the opening game against Georgia Southern. They also will have to perform community service and be subject to the university's judicial review process.

"They know better, and I'm disappointed in both of them," said Richt in a released statement. "They will have to pay a price, but it's unfortunate the rest of the team will also have to suffer for their poor judgment."

Baldwin, a junior from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., played in eight games primarily as a special teams player. He is expected to be a backup cornerback in 2008.

Munzenmaier, a sophomore from Norcross, played in nine games in 2007. He is expected to be a backup fullback in 2008.

Underage drinking in college? I am shocked!!!! When I was in college we never did that kind of thing, or do stupid stuff like drive when we shouldn't have.....damn, this obviously is an indictment of the quality of kids Mark Richt is recruiting. :rolleyes:

Oh no..not the georgia southern game! Most of these coaches' discipline policies are a joke, and then they wonder why they have the same problems year after year. Cough..UT..Cough

Oh no..not the georgia southern game! Most of these coaches' discipline policies are a joke, and then they wonder why they have the same problems year after year. Cough..UT..Cough

I think Richt suspending Munz for 2 games and Baldwin for one game is fine for first time offenders.

Richt has generally done a solid job suspending players for a proper amount of time.

And why wouldn't he? He does it 10-12 times every off-season

Just another sign that Georgia is slowly turning into Thug U.

Slowly????? I think last season proved that the debil is in Athens to stay for awhile. He left Coral Gables a few months ago and decided to take in the scenery for a couple of years.....at least til UGA compares with FSU and the U.

Archived