Freddie Smooth commits

WAR-MATT

USC recruitnik (who also covers recruiting nationally) from another board I speak to every once in a while called Freddie Smooth the fastest rising prospect until NSD. No joke

USC recruitnik (who also covers recruiting nationally) from another board I speak to every once in a while called Freddie Smooth the fastest rising prospect until NSD. No joke

What's NSD?

National Signing Day. IE: Freddie Smooth's "stock" has risen more than any other prospect in the country as national signing day approaches. He said that this was a "huge" pickup.

Freddie Smooth's name has been floating around for a while now in the background. He hasn't been talked up a lot because his offer only recently became solid. I know very little about Smooth so I was kind of surprised when a USC guy spoke so highly of him. I'm going to ask him to elaborate a bit, but I'm assuming that USC didn't appear on Smooth's list of favorites (on Rivals) for nothing.

Odd that he is from Baton Rouge and he had NO interest in LSU. He must have wanted out. Similar to our deal with Finley.

Odd that he is from Baton Rouge and he had NO interest in LSU. He must have wanted out. Similar to our deal with Finley.

Nope. He said he didn't visit LSU because they didn't extend an offer to him up front -- unlike OU & AU. Here's something else from his HS coach: Link

Smooth has the skills to play on either side of the ball but defensive tackles with his athleticism are tough to find.

(Sr.) He was voted 1st Team Class 1A All-State on defense after finishing the regular season with 70 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

Coach Mickey Joseph “Freddie is a big offensive tackle/defensive tackle. He’s about 6’5, 305 pounds. For that size he’s very athletic. Very physical at the point of attack. Freddie’s best football is ahead of him. I think Freddie is probably going to be a D-tackle in college.”

“He’s quiet, he doesn’t say much, but he’s a silent assassin when he gets on the field he’s going to make it happen.”

“He played limited defense last year so he probably only had 20 tackles, 6 for losses and I think he had 2-3 sacks.”

1-A school, didn't play much defense as a junior -- it's easy to understand why he wasn't on everyone's radar. But dayyum ... 6-5 & 305 lbs as a HS senior is one heck of a blip for a coaching staff paying attention to the radar screen. :thumbsup: Welcome Freddie and WDE CTT/staff.

Just got my reply:

"Yeah we got on him too late, plus he's a quiet mama's boy who wants to stay home like most DTs. Freddie was a real late bloomer, didn't start as a junior but he's up to 6'5" 305 his senior year with a great frame and was 1st-team All-State. His frame and his ability at the POA are the two things most coveted by major programs in a DT and he's got both, I'm surprised he's not a national recruit but again he's a late bloomer. I don't think he'll play right away, after a redshirt year he could be a beast."

Again...from a USC (and I'm not talking South Carolina) recruiting expert. This is the type of commit that CTT and company are incredibly good at landing. We have several of these types committed this year, so remember that before you think we're getting killed in recruiting.

Just got my reply:

"Yeah we got on him too late, plus he's a quiet mama's boy who wants to stay home like most DTs. Freddie was a real late bloomer, didn't start as a junior but he's up to 6'5" 305 his senior year with a great frame and was 1st-team All-State. His frame and his ability at the POA are the two things most coveted by major programs in a DT and he's got both, I'm surprised he's not a national recruit but again he's a late bloomer. I don't think he'll play right away, after a redshirt year he could be a beast."

Again...from a USC (and I'm not talking South Carolina) recruiting expert. This is the type of commit that CTT and company are incredibly good at landing. We have several of these types committed this year, so remember that before you think we're getting killed in recruiting.

it's a safe bet that we're going to finish out in the top 12, maybe top 10. there's not much "getting killed" happening in a finish like that. anybody worried about us when we're pulling down a class like that is just paranoid.

Just got my reply:

Thanks for the update and I'm getting a little bit giddy after reading your post. I love diamonds in the rough....WDE and let's see CTT the true "Closer" close with a flurry of studs

Im really excited about this kid and not just from a football perspective. His school, http://www.desirestreet.org/ , did alot of great for inner city kids in New Orleans. The campus was destroyed by Katrina and they have temporarily moved to BR. Danny Wuerrfel works very closely with this school and they have a really strong Christian influence as you will see from the website. I have seen several specials/documentaries on this school and the things they were/are doing are really great. Having Wuerrfel on deck also helps them get alot of good publicity allowing them to increase their good works. I think Freddie has been dealt a rough hand and has come out a solid kid. I think he is the perfect fit to come in and be mentored by Chette and the staff. He should be a good one on and off the field.

Just got my reply:

Dead on...... CTT and staff hit another "Pat Sims" like homerun with this guy. Looks like we'll add Neiko Lipscomb next week.

Tucker’s Lipscomb leaning toward Auburn commitment

By Jeff Hood

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/26/08

Tucker defensive back Neiko Lipscomb is expected to commit to Auburn early next week.

Lipscomb had been considering Auburn and Georgia. But an official visit to Athens this weekend didn’t materialize.

“He didn’t [visit Georgia],” Tucker coach Franklin Stephens confirmed early Saturday morning.

“He’s probably going to commit to Auburn.”

Georgia apparently does not have a scholarship remaining to offer Lipscomb.

“I think that’s what has transpired,” Stephens said.

The first-year Tucker coach said there’s not much difference between the two programs.

“Auburn and Georgia are both in the SEC and have a similar situation to offer a kid,” Stephens said. “He’s choosing between two powers in the SEC.”

Dead on...... CTT and staff hit another "Pat Sims" like homerun with this guy. Looks like we'll add Neiko Lipscomb next week.

Actually Sims was a high profile recruit coming out of high school, and he just got down when he got to The Plains. Sen'Derrick Marks was the sleeper from that class that every SEC team wishes they had.

Actually Sims was a high profile recruit coming out of high school, and he just got down when he got to The Plains. Sen'Derrick Marks was the sleeper from that class that every SEC team wishes they had.

Smooth is no sleeper. OU wanted him and USC showed a ton of intrest.

Not that it is the end all be all, but how many stars does he have?

Not that it is the end all be all, but how many stars does he have?

Archived