McElwain next up on Saban's list

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

McElwain next up on Bama's list

Report says Nick Saban will talk to Fresno State assistant about Tide's vacant offensive coordinator position

Sunday, January 27, 2008

By GENTRY ESTES

Sports Reporter

TUSCALOOSA -- Another name has surfaced in Alabama's search for an offensive coordinator, and this one appears to have more behind it.

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban is scheduled to meet with Fresno State offensive coordinator Jim McElwain today, according to an online story Saturday by College Sports Television's senior editor Brian Curtis.

Curtis -- the co-author of Saban's 2004 book "How Good Do You Want To Be?" -- cited an anonymous source as saying the meeting would take place in Tucson, Ariz., and that "both sides believe a deal could be reached."

UA officials would not confirm or deny the report.

McElwain didn't confirm or deny the report when reached Saturday by the Fresno Bee, but Fresno State head coach Pat Hill told the newspaper that Saban has contacted him to ask permission to approach McElwain. McElwain, 45, has spent one season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State. He helped the Bulldogs improve from 4-8 in 2006 to 9-4 in 2007, directing them to 419.5 yards and nearly 33 points per game, totals that ranked in the top 40 of Division I-A.

He turned down an offer earlier this month to be the head coach at Eastern Washington, where he played quarterback in the early 1980s.

"He was probably the biggest reason for our turnaround," Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater told the Fresno Bee at the time. "Guys were talking about it. They were saying, 'I hope he doesn't leave. He's the best thing that's happened to us.'

"It's his ability to teach people what he wants to do. Anyone can draw up a great play, but he can actually teach every player at every position what to do. He's a good teacher. He can really describe something to you."

It's likely that McElwain would at least double his Fresno State salary by accepting a position at Alabama, which has the highest-paid coaching staff in the SEC.

Several factors could link McElwain to Saban. Both spent time at Michigan State, with McElwain serving as the Spartans' assistant head coach from 2003-05 before joining the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach in 2006.

McElwain is also known for offensive creativity and his work ethic.

Asked to describe his offensive approach, he once told the Fresno newspaper, "It's no different than a chess match. My whole goal is to make sure a defensive staff has to stay in the office as long as us."

Saban is now 11 days into a search to fill the staff position that opened when Major Applewhite accepted a job at Texas.

Former Michigan quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler interviewed but wound up taking a job with the Detroit Lions.

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson was contacted by Saban but chose not to pursue the job.

A host of other potential candidates have denied interest. Others who have not are TCU offensive coordinator Mike Schultz and Rutgers offensive coordinator John McNulty.

Thoughts?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

McElwain next up on Bama's list

Report says Nick Saban will talk to Fresno State assistant about Tide's vacant offensive coordinator position

Sunday, January 27, 2008

By GENTRY ESTES

Sports Reporter

TUSCALOOSA -- Another name has surfaced in Alabama's search for an offensive coordinator, and this one appears to have more behind it.

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban is scheduled to meet with Fresno State offensive coordinator Jim McElwain today, according to an online story Saturday by College Sports Television's senior editor Brian Curtis.

Curtis -- the co-author of Saban's 2004 book "How Good Do You Want To Be?" -- cited an anonymous source as saying the meeting would take place in Tucson, Ariz., and that "both sides believe a deal could be reached."

UA officials would not confirm or deny the report.

McElwain didn't confirm or deny the report when reached Saturday by the Fresno Bee, but Fresno State head coach Pat Hill told the newspaper that Saban has contacted him to ask permission to approach McElwain. McElwain, 45, has spent one season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State. He helped the Bulldogs improve from 4-8 in 2006 to 9-4 in 2007, directing them to 419.5 yards and nearly 33 points per game, totals that ranked in the top 40 of Division I-A.

He turned down an offer earlier this month to be the head coach at Eastern Washington, where he played quarterback in the early 1980s.

"He was probably the biggest reason for our turnaround," Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater told the Fresno Bee at the time. "Guys were talking about it. They were saying, 'I hope he doesn't leave. He's the best thing that's happened to us.'

"It's his ability to teach people what he wants to do. Anyone can draw up a great play, but he can actually teach every player at every position what to do. He's a good teacher. He can really describe something to you."

It's likely that McElwain would at least double his Fresno State salary by accepting a position at Alabama, which has the highest-paid coaching staff in the SEC.

Several factors could link McElwain to Saban. Both spent time at Michigan State, with McElwain serving as the Spartans' assistant head coach from 2003-05 before joining the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach in 2006.

McElwain is also known for offensive creativity and his work ethic.

Asked to describe his offensive approach, he once told the Fresno newspaper, "It's no different than a chess match. My whole goal is to make sure a defensive staff has to stay in the office as long as us."

Saban is now 11 days into a search to fill the staff position that opened when Major Applewhite accepted a job at Texas.

Former Michigan quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler interviewed but wound up taking a job with the Detroit Lions.

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson was contacted by Saban but chose not to pursue the job.

A host of other potential candidates have denied interest. Others who have not are TCU offensive coordinator Mike Schultz and Rutgers offensive coordinator John McNulty.

Thoughts?

Woo :( Fresno State, I'm shaking in my boots bammers.

Well, he might be easier for Bama to get than say, a pro assistant, or an established OC. Oh, and Ashandarei, it might be a good idea for you to shake in your boots. Start early, miss the rush.

Woo :( Fresno State, I'm shaking in my boots bammers.

Well, considering his offense was ranked #17 in the country and Fresno's was in the top 40, I feel pretty good about our Coordinator.

Woo :( Troy, I'm shaking in my boots aubie's.

*edit - owned!

Fresno St. had some impressive offensive stats this year but they didn't see any SEC defenses. In any event, keep in mind that if McElwain accepts, bama got their 5th or 6th choice. But it is what it is, part of the process.

Would be a step up from last year but until JPW leaves, he will plague any shot of winning consistency at Bama, imo

Yeah because Auburn proved you cant win consistently with a QB like that..Wait..no he just finished putting 3 on UAT and going 28-9 as a starter. It's a classic bammer excuse though.

Fresno St. had some impressive offensive stats this year but they didn't see any SEC defenses. In any event, keep in mind that if McElwain accepts, bama got their 5th or 6th choice. But it is what it is, part of the process.

Doesn't Pat Hill run his own offense? And I believe What's-a-Matta U is the only other place this guy's been a OC.

If this is the hire, Bama fans can get ready for another Pendry/Saban led offense.

Would be a step up from last year but until JPW leaves, he will plague any shot of winning consistency at Bama, imo

Yeah because Auburn proved you cant win consistently with a QB like that..Wait..no he just finished putting 3 on UAT and going 28-9 as a starter. It's a classic bammer excuse though.

Slink is a :uga: fan, not a bammer. I think he was just trying to say that Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson really isn't that good. Sure he has his moments, but to compare him to BC is just wrong.

It's all a ruse, this guy was on the top of the list all along, UAT just had to interview the others to make it fair.

From that article he sounds like a good fit to work with $aban and might be a pretty decent OC. Wonder why he was so far down the wish list?

Are you kidding? All the other candidates mentioned were just a ploy from fans such as us to make Sabban look bad. This guy was always first on their list, aight?

Look the facts are that the only candidate offered was hatcher and he didn't come because he wanted to take 3 coaches with him to Bama. There wasn't room for them, so it was a deal breaker. Trust me Saban isn't worried about getting a good OC. :poke:

This thread has been up for over 24 hours. Has the guy accepted or is St. Nick on to the next 1st choice?

Haha, not sure. I know we had one guy on campus interviewing this weekend, but I don't know who it was.

Look the facts are that the only candidate offered was hatcher and he didn't come because he wanted to take 3 coaches with him to Bama. There wasn't room for them, so it was a deal breaker. Trust me Saban isn't worried about getting a good OC. :poke:

The kool-aid is strong in this one.......$ to Yoda..

This thread has been up for over 24 hours. Has the guy accepted or is St. Nick on to the next 1st choice?

According to Ian Rapoport, both Jim McElwain (Fresno State) and Jim McNulty (Rutgers) are in Tuscaloser. For what it's worth. I don't think much of his reporting.

According to Ian Rapoport, both Jim McElwain (Fresno State) and Jim McNulty (Rutgers) are in Tuscaloser. For what it's worth. I don't think much of his reporting.

Either one would have to be McNuts to accept. Just sayin...

I think the Rutgers guy has declined. Saban is getting McProcessed. I was reading on a bama board over the weekend that they weren't real big on McElwain. A poll indicated ove 50% were concerned about him being the new guy. Today, when he looks like the man, they are suddenly saying "after I think about it, I like the guy." They say he is a hard worker and goes long hours. That won't work with the bama players. They need their ice cream breaks.

I think the Rutgers guy has declined. Saban is getting McProcessed. I was reading on a bama board over the weekend that they weren't real big on McElwain. A poll indicated ove 50% were concerned about him being the new guy. Today, when he looks like the man, they are suddenly saying "after I think about it, I like the guy."

You'll find that at the hiring/firing/quitting of any football coach. How soon we forget about Muschamp, eh?

I think the Rutgers guy has declined. Saban is getting McProcessed. I was reading on a bama board over the weekend that they weren't real big on McElwain. A poll indicated ove 50% were concerned about him being the new guy. Today, when he looks like the man, they are suddenly saying "after I think about it, I like the guy."

You'll find that at the hiring/firing/quitting of any football coach. How soon we forget about Muschamp, eh?

Shhhhhhh, try not to make sense! It confuses some here.

I saw on the Mobile News Senior Bowl coverage that CTT said that it was a good choice for Muschamp to leave. CTT said he did the same thing while he was at Miami.

Tell me how CWM to UT has anything to do with Saban not being able to hire a decent OC?

Archived