Any golfers in the house??

deepseas

Looking to buy a new set for 08, and have never purchased a set before. Anyone have any reccomendations in the less than $500 range? Has anyone ever purchased a set off the internet? Any help greatly appreciated.

www.rockbottomgolf.com

they have great deals on clubs. they've got tm rac os2's for $299, they've got some cheap drivers and fairway woods also.

I know where you can get a used set for free. Problem is they are setting in the bottom of a pond, so you may need to purchase some snorkling gear.

Looking to buy a new set for 08, and have never purchased a set before. Anyone have any reccomendations in the less than $500 range? Has anyone ever purchased a set off the internet? Any help greatly appreciated.

Don't know what level you are but there are a couple of things you should keep in mind: (1) the clubs need to fit you & your swing. You might want to consider having a pro help you to get fitted with the right clubs wrt to shaft length, stiffness, etc. (2) if money is a big factor, then you might want to consider used clubs. You could pick up a decent set without the premium price tag.

Don't know what level you are but there are a couple of things you should keep in mind: (1) the clubs need to fit you & your swing. You might want to consider having a pro help you to get fitted with the right clubs wrt to shaft length, stiffness, etc. (2) if money is a big factor, then you might want to consider used clubs. You could pick up a decent set without the premium price tag.

Ding Ding Ding. Do NOT just go for the cheap set, or go with "what's available". Good call Logger....

I worked at Edwin Watts in Montgomery for 3 years, and if I could pass any advice along, it would be the same Logger did. Used clubs can be a diamond in the rough. You get guys that come in and think they know what they want, can't hit them a week later, and thus, you get a $800 set for $500.

Basic rule of the different iron types:

Beginners - Off-set, wider soles. (Callaway is good for this...also certain Ping and RAC irons from Taylormade, etc...)

Medium - Less Off-set, less of a heavy bottomed sole plate, more shaft options.

Lower Handicap Player - Less, to no offset. Stiffer shafts.

Grips: Base your grips on your handsize, not necessarily what feels better standing in the store. Wider grips feel better, but if you don't really need them for comfort, they tend to open your club face while swinging (because your hands and wrists don't turn over as much).

Other than that man, hit what feels good. Don't be afraid to ask for a demo...and do it at the range... A net in the back of the store is great, but doesn't really show you squat.

Ask a pro, or professional sales person to get you on the right clubs!

Good luck!

do you need everything? Iron's, putter, wedges, woods, driver, bag? If that's the case buying a good set is going to put you way over your limit. i know adams makes some complete sets that would suit a beginner fine that would be around that range. I wouldn't suggest going out and spending a crap load of money if it is something completely new for you. I played with a crappy set for years until i felt i could consistently make solid contact and tell the ball where i wanted it to go. Then i stepped up into the high dollar clubs.

Definitely spend the $30 bucks to get fitted. Places like Edwin Watts will charge you a fitting fee if you don't buy from them. You can get great deals on clubs online but you pretty much HAVE to get fitted for what you're buying.

I know where you can get a used set for free. Problem is they are setting in the bottom of a pond, so you may need to purchase some snorkling gear.

I got a complete set of Ping ZING Irons out of a pond. Ole Dude couldn't hit a ball for crap and threw the whole set in the pond. I went in that night after dark with scuba gear and got it all. New grips and they were as good as new.

I got a complete set of Ping ZING Irons out of a pond. Ole Dude couldn't hit a ball for crap and threw the whole set in the pond. I went in that night after dark with scuba gear and got it all. New grips and they were as good as new.

Sounds like we have the same type of golfing buddies.

Sounds like we have the same type of golfing buddies.

Actually I wasn't with his group and didn't even know him. I did watch, from the club house, him throw his entire bag and clubs, balls everything into the pond. Then the glimmerings of a "good deal" began. The rest is history. None of which helps deepseas with his problem. But then I knew others would have better advice on the purchase of clubs. :big:

If there is a Play It Again Sports near you that is a pretty good place to find a used set. If you are a fan of Ping's you can go online and just about determine your color (sizing) or have a pro fit you for them. You can save several hundreds on a used set in good condition at a PIAS.

If you are serious about playing and stepping up to some good clubs make sure and do it right or else stick with a mid-range priced set.

If I were you, I would go to a local store to get fitted

Even if you don't buy, get the right measurements and figure out the pros/cons of what sets you should get

Archived