Johnson case may go to trial

AUdaREALsecTigers

He added that after the city saw "reports, statements of witnesses and viewed the video," it is "prepared to proceed to trial. We expect this case to be set on the Municipal Court docket in the near future."

so there is a video! i sure would like to see it!

Seems early claims by Rashad Johnson's lawyer that Johnson's charges would be dropped were a mite premature:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil....xml&coll=1

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Attorney's office says deal not in works for Tide DB

The Tuscaloosa city attorney's office is prepared to go to trial in the disorderly conduct case against Alabama football captain Rashad Johnson.

That counters comments Friday by Johnson's attorney Josh Swords, who asserted that prosecutors had offered to dismiss the charge against the Tide safety.

"The City did not initiate any discussion of settlement of the charges against Mr. Johnson," the statement said.

Swords did not return a phone message left Monday night.

In an interview Friday with The Huntsville Times, Swords said the prosecution had offered to drop the charge in exchange for Johnson performing community service.

"The city prosecutors have given us an offer of dismissal with certain conditions to us," Swords said Friday. "We are considering it."

Johnson, arrested Feb. 23, is scheduled for arraignment on the misdemeanor Monday, March 9, in Tuscaloosa Municipal Court.

Johnson was arrested for scuffling with security officers and Tuscaloosa police at The Legacy bar on The Strip - a popular stretch of bars and restaurants near campus.

The news release from city prosecutors Monday said it "feels it is important to clarify some misinformation disseminated over the weekend in regard to the arrest of Julian Rashad Johnson on the charge of disorderly conduct."

James Woodson, senior associate city attorney, declined to comment beyond the release when contacted by The Times.

"The Office of the City Attorney has reviewed the reports, statements of witnesses and viewed the video and is prepared to proceed to trial," the release said. "We expect this case to be set on the Municipal Court docket in the near future.

So Friday, RJ's attorney says ""The city prosecutors have given us an offer of dismissal with certain conditions to us." Monday, the city prosecutor office says "The City did not initiate any discussion of settlement...We expect this case to be set on the Municipal Court docket in the near future." Of course, I recognize that saying "The City did not initiate any discussion" is not the saame as saying such discussion did not occur at Josh Swords' initiation.

So did something happen over the weekend to change things? Are these just negotiating tactics using the media to place pressure on either side? Or is one or the other lawyer just outright lying? (Not that lawyers would ever do that... :rolleyes: )

EDIT: Oop's...didn't see AUdaREALsecTigers' post on the same topic. Although this is a different link, the post should probably be merged with the other thread. Sorry, Mods.

i bet the city attorney has an auburn tag on the front of his car....interesting.... :puke:

Nah, he is just doing his job. Honestly, this is what is wrong with society today. Not enough people stick to their guns and hold people accountable for their behavior. Saying "I'm sorry" is good enough to get all accountability waived in public education, so why not in the court of law??

"Woe to those who have standards." ~Anonymous

He added that after the city saw "reports, statements of witnesses and viewed the video," it is "prepared to proceed to trial. We expect this case to be set on the Municipal Court docket in the near future."

so there is a video! i sure would like to see it!

nah, i'd rather rely on finebaum and rivals message boards to form my opinion, the truth is over rated.

Archived