Another article about the Saban Rule

AU alum

Has Tubs said one way or the other about his stance on the rule? I was surprised that Fulmer was against it... I was thinking it was voted in 4 - 8. The 4 being Saban, Meyer, Miles, and Richt. Guess I was incorrect.

to be honest, if they aren't allowed to talk to the recruits, there is no reason for them to be at their schools hoping the recruit will strike up a conversation. Its a loophole that they are clearing up.

Absolutely. If you can't talk to the recruit why be there. Don't give me the balony about talking to counselors and trying to find out the "character" of the kid. That can be done by phone.

The shenanigans that went on at Hoover High school last in spring of 07 shows why the coaches shouldn't be at the school.

to be honest, if they aren't allowed to talk to the recruits, there is no reason for them to be at their schools hoping the recruit will strike up a conversation. Its a loophole that they are clearing up.

I couldn't disagree more.

In the fall, coaches have very little, if any time, to meet with high school coaches. Essentially banning them from having that opportunity with coaches whose schools do not currently have blue chip prospects hurts everyone in the long run.

It's another foolish move in the long list of NCAA nonsense.

In the fall, coaches have very little, if any time, to meet with high school coaches. Essentially banning them from having that opportunity with coaches whose schools do not currently have blue chip prospects hurts everyone in the long run.

I agree. But some were taking an unfair advantage by contacting players also. Either let everybody do it or no one do it. Don't disadvantage those following the rules.

Do you think the coaches were going to schools where there were not blue chip recruits just to make social visits?

Also, if they are that concerned about meeting with high school coaches, they can invite them to coaching clinics.

"Disfunctional"........That term explains a lot about the $4mil boy......

Do you think the coaches were going to schools where there were not blue chip recruits just to make social visits?

Also, if they are that concerned about meeting with high school coaches, they can invite them to coaching clinics.

In Alabama's case, the answer is yes. Schools that wouldn't know a blue chip prospect if he walked in the door have received visits. I asked one of the coaches one day why he put such emphasis on building relationships with small, county high schools... and I was then told the story of Herschel Walker and his tiny hometown. His idea is that if you're good enough to play in the SEC, he'll find you and will try to get to you first.

Saban has sent out position coaches to 1A schools in many of Alabama's two stop light towns. And he does invite them to clinics like the one with Bellichick -- but the more opportunities to meet with them the better.

So....I'm guessing that $abban will have "The Snake" and LRJ go with his assistants to the HS in that God Awful bammer RV, with that big crimson flag.....kinda like what they did at Foley this past year, to accidently bump into football player out on the practice field?

In Alabama's case, the answer is yes. Schools that wouldn't know a blue chip prospect if he walked in the door have received visits. I asked one of the coaches one day why he put such emphasis on building relationships with small, county high schools... and I was then told the story of Herschel Walker and his tiny hometown. His idea is that if you're good enough to play in the SEC, he'll find you and will try to get to you first.

Saban has sent out position coaches to 1A schools in many of Alabama's two stop light towns. And he does invite them to clinics like the one with Bellichick -- but the more opportunities to meet with them the better.

Nothing new here. Common practice.

Saban said he also benefited from chatting with teachers and guidance counselors

Directly from that article... I bet he does...

*Nick Saban, Alabama: Numbers show the King of the Crimson has distributed 91 scholarships for the fall, six more than the NCAA maximum. But Saban refused to discuss how he plans to get under the minimum, telling the media, "It's none of your business. And don't give me this stuff about the fans need to know, because they don't."

Someone else mentioned this a week or so ago. Interesting...

Saban said he also benefited from chatting with teachers and guidance counselors

Directly from that article... I bet he does...

*Nick Saban, Alabama: Numbers show the King of the Crimson has distributed 91 scholarships for the fall, six more than the NCAA maximum. But Saban refused to discuss how he plans to get under the minimum, telling the media, "It's none of your business. And don't give me this stuff about the fans need to know, because they don't."

Someone else mentioned this a week or so ago. Interesting...

really, what is it anyone's business how he gets the numbers to work out? as long as the NCAA knows, thats really all that matters i think. if he is about to axe some guys, how appropriate would that be to say "well we're about to get rid of these guys"? whatever he does, as long as the NCAA doesn't see a problem with it, what does it matter?

Because often times the efforts to disqualify players may be unscrupulous and against the rules if out in the open, but in silence they can squeeze guys out and with no one paying a lot of direct attention they don't get investigated?

So, since $abban can't "Bump" into the prospect(s) anymore...he's having his Assistants do it for him, carrying a small monitor, and setting it up so that the prospect(s) can talk to "Tha $abban" via Video Conference and have him explain to the prospect(s) how much they're wanting them....during the Evaluation ONLY period (read...No Face to Face recruiting period).

Because often times the efforts to disqualify players may be unscrupulous and against the rules if out in the open, but in silence they can squeeze guys out and with no one paying a lot of direct attention they don't get investigated?

afaik, if they are on scholarship, that scholarship can be pulled at anytime.

really, what is it anyone's business how he gets the numbers to work out? as long as the NCAA knows, thats really all that matters i think. if he is about to axe some guys, how appropriate would that be to say "well we're about to get rid of these guys"? whatever he does, as long as the NCAA doesn't see a problem with it, what does it matter?

Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting

Whether we want to admit it or not, how we treat players does matter to not just the team but the teams rivals as we can use any negative actions by the Bama coaching staff against them when we go up H-2-H with them for a recruit

Kirby Smart played for UGA and coached at UGA yet is universally HATED by almost all UGA fans as we have heard of countless times he has thrown us under the bus with certain recruits.

I don't bring it up often on here because dirty recruiting (in terms of what he says) is part of the recruiting process but he has used his inner-workings at UGA as leverage in what he says which hasn't pleased MANY on the UGA coaching staff. Little unprofessional, imo

Archived