No Tiders worthy of NFL draft

rebdawg

I saw many good players available for the draft, such Keith Brown , DJ Hall... but not one of them was drafted.

Any 5 * and 4* out of these bama senior group?

:poke:

This will make some good wood for the fire in tomorrow's football discussion at work.:)

I'm fairly certain that DJ Hall will make a team. The guy is a gamer. He's got character issues though.

The weird thing about DJ Hall is after the first round it was open season on wideouts and a bunch were drafted.

Well Early Doucet wasn't even in that initial run on WRs... he's better on and off the field than Hall.

well i stated on a topic on here april 12th, "not a single bammer will be drafted. write it down." i love being right.

i would love an orange shirt with blue lettering that reads, "got anybody drafted?" with a big "got 6?" on the back. HERE IS A DELIBERATE JAB FOR THE BAMMERS, WHAT DO APPALACHIAN ST. , MIDDLE TENNESSEE, AND TROY UNIVERSITY HAVE IN COMMON? :moon: .......................................GIVE UP?.........................

ALL HAD MORE PLAYERS DRAFTED THIS YEAR THAN THE MIGHTY tahd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflol::roflol:

I LOVE IT, THIS IS TOO GOOD, I HAVE BEEN ON THE FLOOR WITH LAUGHTER SINCE THE FINAL PICK.

FINALLY, I WAS ABLE TO MANAGE THIS POST.

WAR EAGLE BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!! IT JUST DON'T GIT NO BETTER THAN THIS!!!! B)

Sure to be heard on Finebaum this afternoon: "It's probation's fault...........It's Mike Shula's Fault.............This just further proves the streak is meaningless..............Wait til this year's recruits are drafted."

Any word on FA deals for these guys? DJ Hall would be a good pick up for the Tennesse Titans.

I read that Josh Thompson had signed with the Rams. Carl Stewart signed with the Bucs and Cole Bennett signed with the Texans. Prechae, Zach Gilbert and Eric Brock are expected to sign with teams today.

Any word on FA deals for these guys? DJ Hall would be a good pick up for the Tennesse Titans.

I read that Josh Thompson had signed with the Rams. Carl Stewart signed with the Bucs and Cole Bennett signed with the Texans. Prechae, Zach Gilbert and Eric Brock are expected to sign with teams today.

Britt, Caddell, Castille, and Gilberry all signed FA deals.

Nothing yet for DJ. His agent said the off the field stuff and his shoulder injury from 06 are both items looming large.

Im pretty sure the Titans are trying to avoid character issued players. I don't think DJ got in many fights or arrests so its a possibility.

I am seriously dissapointed in the draft from the Titans so a Dj Hall type effort may have to be made to give Young a shot to have a good reciever or two. Its amazing how little they are giving Vince to succeed. No veteran recievers, no hyped rookie recievers. Basically they have some guys who were cleaning toilets last week putting on pads. Dj might just fit in with that crowd ;)

So I know this is off topic, but I was looking at Phillip Marshall's blog and saw that the last time Auburn didn't have a player drafted was 2003 (although I don't see the same preseason hype on the horizon for Bama as that 2003 Auburn team got). That struck me as a little odd since that 2002 Auburn team was pretty solid on the field. So I went and looked at who got passed over... found a solid list of NFL players that signed as free agents: Rod Hood, Mark Brown, Tavaris Robinson, and Robert Johnson all got on the next year. Rod has obviously done well for himself (was a starter last year, assume he will be again) over the long haul.

Anyway, do folks think Bama's guys are in line for the same kind of success? Part of me says it's possible. Castille had the potential to get drafted. Hall certainly had the talent (he's just a head case and a little soft for such a big dude). I could see 3 or 4 of those guys actually making a roster and one or two sticking for a while (Brown stuck for at least 3 years with the Jets). Just an interesting observation that I didn't know where to post.

PS. The last time we went undrafted prior to 2003 was 1976. So it doesn't happen often.

I think Keith Brown and Matt Caddell are better options as NFL WRs. They have better speed and Matt runs amazing routes.

Wallace, unfortunately, is just not fast enough.

I think Simeon could find a spot at safety for a long time, but he will have to be able to make the mental adjustment.

Bama's guys didn't make this list either... B)

Link

April 28, 2008

Rivals.com College Football Staff

The NFL Draft has come and gone.

There were 252 selections over the two-day period, but several college standouts never heard their names called.

In fact, one could put together a solid team from among the players who weren't drafted over the weekend. So, we did just that. Here's a look:

OFFENSE

QB Paul Smith, Tulsa

He's undersized (6 feet 1), but he threw for 5,065 yards and 47 touchdowns as a senior. He also ran for 13 TDs.

RB Yvenson Bernard , Oregon State

He was an ultra-productive back for the Beavers, but a lack of size and breakaway speed kept him from being drafted.

RB Dantrell Savage , Oklahoma State

He's a burner with big-play potential, but he lacks size and strength.

WR Davone Bess , Hawaii

Despite posting huge numbers with the Warriors, he's considered a "system" receiver. His lack of elite speed hurts, as well.

WR Adarius Bowman , Oklahoma State

He was productive on the field, but had a horrible postseason, including an awful performance at the Combine. His latest off-the-field issue clearly was the last straw.

TE Dorien Bryant , Purdue

Like Bess, he's considered a "system" receiver. He lacks size and doesn't possess breakaway speed.

OT Pedro Sosa , Rutgers

He's a bit undersized (6-4/300) to play tackle in the pros (he might get a shot at guard). Sosa also has been bothered by injuries and had knee surgery in March.

OT Eric Young , Tennessee

Young is another who may be a bit undersized (6-4/308) for tackle in the NFL, and he could get a free-agent shot at guard. His biggest problem is showing he's over a severe leg injury that caused him to miss more than half of the 2007 season.

OG Robert Felton , Arkansas

He's a powerful run blocker, but he's not all that athletic and needs help in pass-blocking. On the plus side, he has played all five line positions. That versatility will help him stick as a free agent.

OG Adam Kraus , Michigan

A two-time All-Big Ten player and a three-year starter, but he was overrated a bit in college. He needs to add bulk and strength. He isn't all that athletic.

OC Fernando Velasco , Georgia

Was the leader of a young Bulldogs offensive line last season, a line that helped paved the way to an 11-win season. But he's considered a raw prospect at center, and his lack of athleticism doesn't help, either.

K Art Carmody , Louisville

Extremely accurate but lacks a strong leg. Probably wouldn't be used to kick off in the NFL.

DEFENSE

DE Bryan Mattison , Iowa

He was a three-year starter for a solid defense in the Big Ten, but though he has a great motor and is productive, he might be a half-step slow and lacks ideal size (a bit under 6-3).

DT Eric Foster , Rutgers

A second-team All-American as a senior, his lack of height (he's 6-2) is a big concern whether he stays at tackle or moves outside to end.

DE Darrell Robertson , Georgia Tech

It's surprising he wasn't drafted. He has good quickness and can run sideline-to-sideline, but he's a bit small (245 pounds) and can be overpowered when teams run right at him.

LB Vince Hall , Virginia Tech

A solid player who has good instincts, a great motor and packs a wallop. But he's undersized and doesn't run all that well.

LB Erin Henderson , Maryland

Extremely productive with good size. He's aggressive and plays with a mean streak. But he's considered a half-step slow, isn't a great athlete and has had injury problems.

LB Ali Highsmith , LSU

A three-year starter for some mighty fine defenses, Highsmith plays hard and can move. But he's too short for some teams, has trouble shedding blocks and isn't that instinctive.

LB J Leman , Illinois

Productive four-year player for the Illini and a great team leader. Has adequate size, too. But he lacks speed, isn't a great athlete and has suspect coverage skills.

CB Marcus Walker , Oklahoma

Played a lot of football for the Sooners and has good size and speed. But he has poor hands and lacks instincts.

CB Jonathan Zenon, LSU

Zenon produced as a Tiger and has good size and other attributes. Alas, the one attribute he's missing is speed. Still, he could stick as a dime back and/or a special-teams player.

S Marcus Griffin, Texas

The first-team All-Big 12 honoree was productive for the Longhorns but he lacks ideal size (he's a shade under 6-0), doesn't have great speed and isn't all that athletic.

S Jamie Silva, Boston College

He was superb as a senior, earning numerous All-America honors, but he's slow and isn't a great athlete.

P Brett Kern , Toledo

He was second in the nation as a senior, averaging 46.1 yards per boot. The only knock may be that he was inconsistent before 2007

RESERVES

QB: Sam Keller, Nebraska; Anthony Morelli, Penn State

RB: Anthony Alridge, Houston; Rafael Little, Kentucky; Tony Temple, Missouri

WR: Todd Blythe, Iowa State; Ryan Grice-Mullen, Hawaii; DJ Hall, Alabama; Maurice Purify, Nebraska; Darius Reynaud, West Virginia; Jason Rivers, Hawaii

OL: Andrew Crummey, Maryland; Drew Miller, Florida; Drew Radovich, USC; Matt Spanos, USC; Shannon Tevaga, UCLA

DL: Tommy Blake, TCU; Johnny Dingle, West Virginia; Keilen Dykes, West Virginia; Wallace Gilberry, Alabama; Derek Lokey, Texas; Chase Ortiz, TCU

LB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Boston College; Gary Guyton, Georgia Tech; Ben Moffitt, USF; Lamar Myles, Louisville; Wesley Woodyard, Kentucky

CB: Simeon Castille, Alabama; Michael Grant, Arkansas

S: Jamar Adams, Michigan; Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee; Dennis Keyes, UCLA; David Roach, TCU

K: Alexis Serna, Oregon State

P: Andrew Larson, California

Whoever signs Velasco is getting a solid NFL backup if not few year starter

He is not the strongest weight room guy but he GETS IT DONE on the field

Ryan Grice-Mullen, Hawaii;

That dude was a solid receiver. Brennan's passes just didn't get caught by themselves. Though they did play in a weak conference, I still think he was underated.

Ryan Grice-Mullen, Hawaii;

That dude was a solid receiver. Brennan's passes just didn't get caught by themselves. Though they did play in a weak conference, I still think he was underated.

+1

Did Devone Bess get drafted? He's good too.

LB Ali Highsmith , LSU

A three-year starter for some mighty fine defenses, Highsmith plays hard and can move. But he's too short for some teams, has trouble shedding blocks and isn't that instinctive.

Must have been some other great LBs in this year's draft to pass over Ali.

Archived