Question to all

autigeremt

Who in here would be willing to vote for a true Independent who looked at things down the middle? Someone who believes in a strong military, fair tax codes, programs for those who truly needed them, post secondary education assistance (not full tuition), protection of the borders, work visas for those who legally enter the country, middle class values.....

Basically a centrist on most areas? This is not a trick question, and I would like to keep the ® and the (D) out of it.

This is all hypothetical anyway.

nevermind. you want d's and r's out of this so i will respect that.

nevermind. you want d's and r's out of this so i will respect that.

I guess I meant the rhetoric. Just honest answers without the bias. I understand if you don't want to answer. I respect that, too.

I guess I would respond with one question... how do you define "centrist?" I feel like that is a word that is defined differently by different people.

Who in here would be willing to vote for a true Independent who looked at things down the middle? Someone who believes in a strong military, fair tax codes, programs for those who truly needed them, post secondary education assistance (not full tuition), protection of the borders, work visas for those who legally enter the country, middle class values.....

Basically a centrist on most areas? This is not a trick question, and I would like to keep the ® and the (D) out of it.

I would vote for such a man or woman. Just wish I could. :(

I could vote for someone like that. It's not exactly what I want unless you let me add a few more things. Post Secondary Education Assistance is one that strikes me. Are you saying the government paying for it with tax payers money? I am not in total agreement with that. Nothing like that was extended to me. I had to get a college loan to pay for my last two years. Hard work in the classroom paid for the first two years.

For the most part I could vote for someone like you have described above. I will never find the ideal candidate that lines up with exactly what I believe. I don't think anyone will. If someone claims that, then it is my belief that they are not being true to themselves. No one is going to agree 100% of the time.

I guess I would respond with one question... how do you define "centrist?" I feel like that is a word that is defined differently by different people.

In my mind, he/she would be straight down the middle on most issues. No push and pull from the left or right. Just someone searching for balance that's justified. Some issues you may have to lean one way or the other, but a lot of them are so lock and step that you cannot trust a dem. or rep.

I guess this person would be a right of moderate on domestic policy and left of moderate on foriegn policy with a strong approach on defense and readiness.

I could vote for someone like that. It's not exactly what I want unless you let me add a few more things. Post Secondary Education Assistance is one that strikes me. Are you saying the government paying for it with tax payers money? I am not in total agreement with that. Nothing like that was extended to me. I had to get a college loan to pay for my last two years. Hard work in the classroom paid for the first two years.

For the most part I could vote for someone like you have described above. I will never find the ideal candidate that lines up with exactly what I believe. I don't think anyone will. If someone claims that, then it is my belief that they are not being true to themselves. No one is going to agree 100% of the time.

Mainly assistance as in government loans with very small to no interest, and more advanced help for those who seak to advance themselves from "low standard" areas. Give and take. And yes, some tax money would have to be in the mix, but you may also tap into the business sector for those in search of personnel who exhibit technical skills or desire civil employment.

Mainly assistance as in government loans with very small to no interest, and more advanced help for those who seak to advance themselves from "low standard" areas. Give and take. And yes, some tax money would have to be in the mix, but you may also tap into the business sector for those in search of personnel who exhibit technical skills or desire civil employment.

I thought that was what you meant and not just "hey, lets give some money to anyone". In that case then I am liking your candidate a little more. He/She still needs a few minor tweaks! ;)

AUTiger1....middle ground my friend :)

Add fiscal responsibility to the mix, and I'm in.

I'm not convinced that Head Start and other early educational programs are working. (Are our youth today brighter, smarter, more socially developed than those of the past?) I'd cut back there and use that on post high school education with emphasis on science, math, technology and job training.

Add fiscal responsibility to the mix, and I'm in.

I'm not convinced that Head Start and other early educational programs are working. (Are our youth today brighter, smarter, more socially developed than those of the past?) I'd cut back there and use that on post high school education with emphasis on science, math, technology and job training.

There is one of the tweaks I was looking for. :)

Legal Eagle: You bring up a good point about the early education programs and redirecting money to post high school. That may not be such a bad idea. I also like the fact that you mentioned job training. Not every student is cut out to go to college nor does every student want to go to college. Technical Schools are a great thing IMO. It gives them a chance to learn a trade. How many systems around here still have the county wide Technical Schools? I know at one point they were cutting programs out of some of them and some were in trouble with some funding. Not to change the topic here, just curious is all.

How would this candidate address these two issues:

Gun Control

Abortion

I can envision the "centrist" view on gun control, but abortion is one of those either/or type situations.

So far though, this candidate looks pretty good. From my issues, you can probably tell I have a right lean, but I have voted Libertarian before so I think I qualify for this poll.

Gun Control would be a right leaner. I am a very firm believer in the right to bear arms. I also have no problem with restrictions on automatic "military grade" assault weapons and guns in general to criminals of assault.

Abortion would be a hard one for this candidate to decide. I don't care for it myself (except in cases of rape/incest/mortality of the mother). It goes back to responsible parties. This would be one of those "one side or the other" issues. Good point out on that.

Abortion would be a hard one for this candidate to decide. I don't care for it myself (except in cases of rape/incest/mortality of the mother). It goes back to responsible parties. This would be one of those "one side or the other" issues. Good point out on that.

According to Anti-abortion groups you are part of the problem. They want no abortion in ANY case.

Pro-choice does not equal Pro-abortion. Common misperception.

I don't care what that special interest group wants.

More so than any other candidate in the recent past, does not McCain come the closest to the center? If he would come out and support the fair tax, I would jump up and down and vote like a dimocrat...TWICE.

I can see a candidate of this type coming from the right, but I could never envision a former dim even coming close to this line of thought. The dim party has swung so far to the left that it just seems unfeasible. Are there any candidates out there from either side that might fit the bill?

Bob Barr is not one. I don't think Paul is the complete package either.

I would vote for this person. But usually when you get all that, there is always some boneheaded idea that a candidate like that espouses.

I hate abortion. But from the standpoint of politics, I think it's almost a non-issue at this point in time. The current status quo seems to be working to a degree.

Guns are already regulated enough. The "military type" weapons phrase is bull****. It's either fully auto or not. And if it is, then the firearms act of 1964 (yes 1964) severely regulates that with harsh penalties. So from that standpoint, its the whacked out individuals that are the issue, not guns.

Archived