Dimocrat Unity? Not so fast!

Tigermike

So glad it's the dims doing this and not the Republicans. But somehow, some way the dims will try and blame it on Bush specifically or the Republicans in general.

Bill Clinton says Barack Obama must 'kiss my ass' for his support

By Tim Shipman in Washington and Philip Sherwell in New York

Last Updated: 1:13AM BST 29/06/2008

Bill Clinton is so bitter about Barack Obama's victory over his wife Hillary that he has told friends the Democratic nominee will have to beg for his wholehearted support.

bill-clinton-404_683090c.jpg

AP

Bill Clinton is still very bitter that Barack Obama beat his wife Hillary

Mr Obama is expected to speak to Mr Clinton for the first time since he won the nomination in the next few days, but campaign insiders say that the former president's future campaign role is a "sticking point" in peace talks with Mrs Clinton's aides.

The Telegraph has learned that the former president's rage is still so great that even loyal allies are shocked by his patronising attitude to Mr Obama, and believe that he risks damaging his own reputation by his intransigence.

A senior Democrat who worked for Mr Clinton has revealed that he recently told friends Mr Obama could "kiss my ass" in return for his support.

A second source said that the former president has kept his distance because he still does not believe Mr Obama can win the election.

Mr Clinton last week issued a tepid statement, through a spokesman, in which he said he "is obviously committed to doing whatever he can and is asked to do to ensure Senator Obama is the next president of the United States ".

Mr Obama was more effusive at his unity event with Mrs Clinton on Friday, speaking fondly of the absent former president, who attended Nelson Mandela's birthday celebrations in London instead. The candidate told the crowd: "I know how much we need both Bill and Hillary Clinton as a party. They have done so much great work. We need them badly."

But his aides said he has so far concentrated on cementing relations with Mrs Clinton first. They say they are content to let relations with Mr Clinton thaw gradually.

It has long been known that Mr Clinton is angry at the way his own reputation was tarnished during the primary battle when several of his comments were interpreted as racist.

But his lingering fury has shocked his friends. The Democrat told the Telegraph: "He's been angry for a while. But everyone thought he would get over it. He hasn't. I've spoken to a couple of people who he's been in contact with and he is mad as hell.

"He's saying he's not going to reach out, that Obama has to come to him. One person told me that Bill said Obama would have to quote kiss my ass close quote, if he wants his support.

"You can't talk like that about Obama - he's the nominee of your party, not some house boy you can order around.

"Hillary's just getting on with it and so should Bill."

Another Democrat said that despite polls showing Mr Obama with a healthy lead over Republican John McCain, Mr Clinton doesn't think he can win.

The party strategist, who was allied to one of the early rivals to Mr Obama and the former First Lady, said Mr Clinton was "very unhopeful" about the nominee's prospects in November.

"Bill Clinton knows the party will unite behind Obama, but he is telling people he doesn't believe Obama can win round voting groups, especially working-class whites, in the swing states," the strategist said.

"He just doesn't think Obama will be able to connect with the voters he needs."

Joe Klein, the author of Primary Colours, a fictionalised account of Mr Clinton's 1992 election, who has known the former president for 20 years, said he also heard that he was "very, very bitter", from people who have spoken with him.

"It's time for him to get over it or go off and do his charitable work. He knows the rules of the road. What's going on now is kind of strange. I think his behaviour is really, really shocking."

link

He should be be bitter. It was a hard fought race in which his wife came up just short. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't bitter.

Yet, he does need to be very careful about voicing his resentment. He's got quite a few years left in him -- book deals, speeches, appointments, etc -- and doesn't need to throw it all away by making incendiary comments on his party's nominee.

Bill is a poor loser.

art.unity.ap.jpg

A picture-perfect day in Unity

UNITY, New Hampshire (CNN) -- The day began with a kiss.

Sen. Barack Obama, on the tarmac at Reagan Washington National Airport, reached out to shake Sen. Hillary Clinton's hand and leaned down to kiss her cheek.

It went on from there. Wearing a tie that matched her suit, he put his hand on her back, guiding the way up the plane steps.

They sat side-by-side for the flight up to Manchester, New Hampshire, chatting amiably. One overheard conversation was about the plane. Clinton had used it during the primary season.

They hopped on a souped-up bus for the 1½-hour ride to Unity, New Hampshire.

The honorary mayor of Unity introduced the pair, admitting that he was a Republican who voted for John McCain in the primary. He didn't seem so sure about the general election.

They walked onstage to the tune of "Beautiful Day."

Arms around each other's waists, they smiled and waved at the crowd.

Every camera angle had UNITY signs, big and little, in the backdrop.

She said she wants to help elect him president. He gave an ode to Hillary: "She rocks." Watch more from Unity »

One woman stood at the back, periodically yelling, "Hillary for VP!"

A few others, older women, stubbornly held up tattered Hillary For President placards.

But the vast majority cheered her, "Thank you, Hillary!" and him, "Yes, we can!"

They held new signs for the new times: "UNITY FOR CHANGE."

As the dynamic duo glowed onstage, a Clinton staffer circulated through the press corps with word that Hillary and Bill Clinton had gone online to give the maximum contribution allowed by law to the Obama for President campaign.

It was the picture-perfect day of togetherness that Barack Obama had wanted.

It was not entirely believable, but politics is the art of pragmatism.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/27/cro...nity/index.html

(CNN) -- They beamed, hugged and praised one another. Their outfits even matched.

The long-awaited Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton unity event in Unity, New Hampshire, on Friday was carefully choreographed, with the images and speeches all designed to achieve one goal: returning Democrats to the White House.

Obama and Clinton appeared together in a town where they tied in the January primary.

"We may have started on separate paths ... today our hearts are set on the same destination for America ... to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States," Clinton said.

"We are one party; we are one America," she added.

The two Democrats walked onstage together to U2's song "Beautiful Day" as an enthusiastic crowd chanted: "Yes, we can!"

Large signs reading "Unite For Change" and "UNITY" were held aloft throughout the outdoor rally as an enthusiastic crowd cheered Clinton and Obama

Obama praised the New York senator for helping "bring this country a new and better day."

"For 16 months, Sen. Clinton and I have shared the stage as rivals. ... But today, I could not be happier and more honored and more moved that we're sharing the stage," Obama said.

"I've learned from her as a candidate. ... She rocks! She rocks! That's the point I'm trying to make," he joked.

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee also talked about the tension the two faced during the primary season.

"Now, I don't pretend that one election can erase all the past biases and outdated attitudes that we're still wrestling to overcome. And I know that there have been times over the last 16 months where those biases have emerged," he said. "But I also know that while this campaign has shown us how far we have to go, it has also proven the progress we have made."

Obama referred to the significance of the town's name and its primary, in which he and Clinton each received the same number of votes.

"It is fitting that we meet in a place called Unity, because the truth is, that's the only way we can solve the challenges facing this country. Today, we look back at the votes cast here in the snows of January not as 107 votes for Hillary Clinton and 107 votes for me but as 214 votes for change in America," he said.

Earlier, Clinton took aim at Sen. John McCain's candidacy.

"McCain is simply offering fours years more [of the Bush administration]. ... John McCain and President Bush are like two sides of the same coin, and it doesn't amount to a whole lot of change," she said. "If you think we need a new course ... vote for Barack Obama and get the change we need and deserve."

Obama also criticized McCain's stand on health care.

"You can go with John McCain's plans to do nothing, or you can stand side-by-side with me and Hillary Clinton and finally, once and for all, provide the health care that every American needs," he said.

The former rivals flew together from Washington. They shared a polite kiss on arrival at Reagan National Airport and sat side-by-side on the flight to New Hampshire.

Clinton campaign manager Terry McAuliffe said Friday that her team had been working to drum up support for Obama since Clinton suspended her campaign this month and endorsed Obama.

"We have done this now for three weeks," he said on CNN's "American Morning." "We've done conference calls all over the country to all of our people. 'OK, we tried. We gave it everything we had. Now we need to move forward and support Sen. Obama.' "

Asked about the possibility of an Obama-Clinton ticket, McAuliffe said, "I think if she were on the ticket, I think we honestly ... would control the White House for 16 years. ... But Sen. Obama's got to make that decision himself."

Obama has shied away from any talk of a possible joint ticket, although he's said Clinton "would be on anyone's short list."

"I think we will have a terrific time together in New Hampshire. And I think that she will be very effective all the way through the election," he said Thursday night.

This week, Obama asked top contributors to help Clinton retire her campaign debt of $22 million, about $12 million of which she loaned to her own campaign.

Obama and his wife, Michelle, each donated $2,300 Thursday to Clinton's campaign, which is millions of dollars in debt That's the maximum an individual can legally donate.

On Friday, Clinton and her husband, former President Clinton, each donated the maximum to Obama's campaign.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/27/cli...bama/index.html

Clinton, Obama: So happy together

UNITY, N.H. — At a rally staged in a field of wildflowers, in a town so small that some residents of this state had never heard of it, Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton attempted to show Friday that if they could put months of divisive campaigning behind them, so too should their supporters.

The joint appearance under a strong summer sun capped a choreographed six-hour trip that started in Washington with a kiss between former rivals on an airport tarmac and ended in a rural New Hampshire outpost that attracted a crowd larger than the population of the town.

Shortly after 1 p.m., Obama and Clinton emerged from Unity Elementary School, flanked by photographers who captured them smiling and strolling their way to the gathering of more than 4,000 people. When it was time for their introduction, Obama worked the line first and she followed.

It took three renditions of U2’s “Beautiful Day” for them to make it to the stage.

From the name of the town to their complementary wardrobes (his blue tie matched her pantsuit), the day was a harmonious and near-flawless public reconciliation after the most hard-fought primary campaign in a generation.

“Unity is not only a beautiful place as we can see, it’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it?” Clinton said as soon as she stepped to the microphone. “And I know when we start here in this field in Unity, we’ll end on the steps of the Capitol when Barack Obama takes the oath of office as our next president.”

Obama returned the praise, saying more than once that he needs her and former President Bill Clinton on his side.

“I’ve admired her as a leader, I’ve learned from her as a candidate, I am proud to call her my friend,” he said, “and I know how much we’ll need both Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton as a party and a country in the months and years to come.”

Obama and Clinton met Friday in front of the cameras at Reagan National Airport, where their motorcades arrived simultaneously. He pecked her on the cheek and they boarded his campaign plane, sitting together through the flight. On the hour-long bus ride from the airport to Unity, the senators reminisced, said David Axelrod, Obama’s chief strategist.

“It was very warm,” he said.

On stage, Clinton didn’t break her smile when the crowd chanted “Yes we can,” Obama’s signature call. And Obama egged on an audience member who yelled, “Hillary rocks.”

“She rocks,” Obama repeated. “That’s the point I’m trying to make.”

But if there was unity on stage, it wasn’t uniform throughout the crowd.

Two women held “Hillary for President” signs above their heads during the speeches. One of them, who stuffed bits of napkins into her ears while Obama spoke, intermittently yelled out her disapproval: “We want Hillary!”

Other women admitted to heavy hearts about the outcome. They came to Unity from Pennsylvania and Connecticut and Vermont to watch her body language and to hear her words. They were looking for clues that she’s moving on, so they can, too.

“I’m disappointed that she was not the candidate,” said Mary Ann Allsop, 51, a resident of Concord, N.H., who said she almost wore her “Hillary” button. “I still think she should have been.”

When asked whether she would vote for Obama, Allsop considered the thought for a few minutes before replying yes.

Clinton attempted to reel in the disaffected.

“To anyone who voted for me and is now considering not voting or voting for Sen. McCain, I strongly urge you to reconsider,” she said.

She encouraged her supporters to join Obama “to create an unstoppable force for change we can believe in.”

“I know that he’ll work for you,” Clinton said. “He’ll fight for you, and he’ll stand up for you every single day in the White House.”

The reunion of two political titans could not have been staged in a more secluded spot — in a town with no stop lights, one general store and residents who prize the isolation. The biggest event of the year is a festival with a cast-iron skillet toss. The honorary mayor, Ken Hall, wore a pair of suspenders and new sneakers he bought for the occasion.

“I am a life-long Republican, and I voted for Sen. McCain,” Hall said. “But I may be part of this change.”

By Wednesday night, the owner of the general store, Will’s Place, had resorted to chasing TV reporters out of the parking lot because they were scaring away his regular customers.

“People move here because they like their privacy,” said Cheri LeMere, 39, a clerk at Will’s Place for 11 years. “I can’t see someone living here who wants to be noticed.”

The Obama campaign picked Unity for its name and its dead-even results in the primary: Clinton received 107 votes, as did Obama. Someone in New Hampshire brought the town to the attention of campaign manager David Plouffe, and aides fixated on making Unity the site of their premier unity event — despite the extraordinary logistical hurdles.

The campaign created a rally site out of an elementary school field by trucking in bleachers, American flags and giant letters that spelled “UNITY.”

The 4,000 people who showed up were bused from remote locations. They began arriving at dawn, and it took hours to transport everybody to Unity and hours more for them to make it back to their cars. The lines were long for the security searches, the food truck and the porta-potties.

They came and stood for hours under a scorching sun for different reasons.

Some wanted to witness history. Some wanted closure, and others wanted a glimpse of Obama, their choice from the start. Like the more than 300 journalists who decamped here, they looked for body language and other hints of whether Obama and Clinton's chemistry is real, whether unity is possible between these former competitors.

Miren Etcheverry, 53, a former Hillary supporter who still wishes she had prevailed, said she was slowly converting.

“On a scale of one to 10, I’m a six and a half,” she said, “and rising.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11412.html

Hillary is whoring it up to pay her debts and for a possible position in obamas regime should he win.

The press is now going to pressure bill to do the same.

A picture-perfect day in Unity

(CNN) -- They beamed, hugged and praised one another. Their outfits even matched.

Clinton, Obama: So happy together

And you believe the fairy tail ending. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Hillary is whoring it up to pay her (campaign) debts ,,,,,,,,,,

Fixed that for you. ;)

I believe the policies Hillary has advocated for are much more inline with Obama's than McCain's.

No $hit Sherlock. The only difference is Obama is a much more far left liberal than Hillary.

It also doesn't surprise me (or anyone) that he is now trying to make a move toward the center. The big problem with that is he does not know where the center is.

What a racist!!! How dare Bill Clinton tell a BLACK MAN to kiss his ass.

Speaking of racist. This little gem seems to have been over looked by the masses.

"You can't talk like that about Obama - he's the nominee of your party, not some house boy you can order around.

If a Republican had said that what would have been the response from the left?

How can you call the self proclaimed first black president a racist?! You must be the racist. One of my best friends is black so I'm immune from such accusations so don't even try it evil doer!!!

No $hit Sherlock. The only difference is Obama is a much more far left liberal than Hillary.

Please provide specific examples of where Obama is "much more far left liberal" than Hillary.

It also doesn't surprise me (or anyone) that he is now trying to make a move toward the center. The big problem with that is he does not know where the center is.

I'm glad McCain has not moved from the center (presidential bid 2000) to the far right (presidential bid 2008) and who knows where he is heading now.

Specific examples:

www.flipfloptracker.blogspot.com

How can you call the self proclaimed first black president a racist?! You must be the racist. One of my best friends is black so I'm immune from such accusations so don't even try it evil doer!!!

Well I know somebody who is black, female, gay, transgender, muslim, and republican (Oh yes, republicans are a minority now so must be treated better than others). So, you can't call me any names because I got it all covered and if you do I will sue you.

And you wait till Obama runs in 2012 against it. It will beat him into the ground because of its background. Everyone will vote for it because when you compare Obama campaign ("Having a black president is change") to its campaign, it will win by beating Obama at his own game.

Well I know somebody who is black, female, gay, transgender, muslim, and republican (Oh yes, republicans are a minority now so must be treated better than others). So, you can't call me any names because I got it all covered and if you do I will sue you.

And you wait till Obama runs in 2012 against it. It will beat him into the ground because of its background. Everyone will vote for it because when you compare Obama campaign ("Having a black president is change") to its campaign, it will win by beating Obama at his own game.

I want everyone to like me and think I'm swell so It can count on my vote! I am pure of racism, sexism, and all other isms! Now I'm a good American! Is your candidate going to run a Hugs for Terrorists rally too?

I'm a bit surprised that as often as TM talks about Democrats, he still can not correctly spell the name.

It's much easier if you just call them dims. Since they are.

Your welcome.

Archived