Bama starting off NEXT year against VT in the Atlanta Dome again

SouthLink02

Good for Bama.....as long as they win

I personally am glad that Bama is making their OOC hard and I think it helps them publicity wise

But again, they need to win it for it to really help.

UGA starts next year off @Oklahaoma State :(

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/g...tdome_0716.html

Virginia Tech has agreed to open the 2009 college football season against a yet- to-be-named opponent at the Georgia Dome, Atlanta Sports Council President Gary Stokan said Wednesday.

Stokan said that he is talking to several SEC schools about playing the Hokies on Aug. 29, 2009.

This will be the second in a series of season-opening games in Atlanta sponsored by Chick-fil-A. This year's game will feature Alabama and Clemson, who will play in an 8 p.m. game on Aug. 30.

"Obviously, this is a continuation of our strategy for what we believe is the Daytona 500 of college football," Stokan said. "We have talked to a lot of universities about being a part of it. Coach Frank Beamer and the folks at Virginia Tech have agreed to come on board for 2009."

The game will be nationally televised on either ESPN or ABC.

"Coach Beamer and I just thought this was too good an opportunity to pass up," Virginia Tech athletics director Jim Weaver told the AJC. "To play in that kind of atmosphere and national television can only help your football program. We're excited about it."

Stokan said that the goal is to find an SEC team willing to juggle its schedule to play in next year's game. Stokan did confirm that Alabama is one of the schools considering the move.

"When you're only a year out scheduling is delicate and difficult," Stokan said. "But we're optimistic that we can get this deal done."

Stokan did not rule out getting a team from another BCS conference to play Virginia Tech if an SEC team can not.

Stokan is also talking with Alabama and Duke about playing in 2010. Alabama is scheduled to travel to Duke in 2010 but the Blue Devils' Wallace Wade Stadium holds less than 34,000. Stokan said he would be talking to new Duke coach David Cutcliffe and new athletics director Kevin White at this weekend's ACC preseason football meetings at Reynolds Plantation near Greensboro. Cutcliffe, who took over at Duke after serving as Tennessee's offensive coordinator the past two seasons, is an Alabama graduate. In May he told the AJC that he was interested in playing the Alabama game in Atlanta.

Not so fast my friend.

Alabama unlikely to play Virginia Tech in 2009

Posted by Ian R. Rapoport - The Birmingham News July 16, 2008 5:36 PM

Categories: Sports

TUSCALOOSA -- Though preliminary negotiations are under way between Alabama and the Atlanta Sports Council for the Crimson Tide to open the 2009 football season at the Georgia Dome, a UA source this afternoon described the possibility as unlikely.

Virginia Tech reached a deal today to be one team in the made-for-TV Chick-Fil-A College Football Kickoff game in Atlanta. The hope of Atlanta Sports Council President Gary Stokan was for the Crimson Tide to be the other.

He acknowledges UA and his organization are not "anywhere close" to an agreement. The Alabama source indicated as much, citing the fact that coach Nick Saban's team is already under contract to open with Florida International, then play Tulane in Week 2 of 2009.

Additionally, the source said, with the departure of quarterback John Parker Wilson, and possibly left tackle Andre Smith to the NFL, it's unlikely the Tide would open with such a high-powered opponent. (here chick, chick,chick, here chick, chick, chick.) :big:

Ian R. Rapoport

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/07/alabam...play_virgi.html

Good move. Playing Quality teams early in the season lets you see what type of team you have early on. IF you do lose you can still build off of it and have a good season. I would like to go to an Auburn game in ATL to start off a season. Auburn has a great fanbase in ATL, don't know how Tide's fan base is there. I have experienced an Auburn game at the Bucketshop, you would swear you were in Auburn from all the fans.

Mike, is that real? They would pull out because they lost those two? That is bad

Be a man and take that challenge

I have been looking around on AL.com and saw that little piece and was bringing it back to post here. You beat me with the first virsion. I'm not sure which to believe but it was in the Mobile paper. And as everyone knows Mobile is "owned" by Bama.

All I can say is it was there Slink.

I didn't add to the article, but I did make it bold and big. :)

SLink - the article you posted says they are looking into Alabama for 2010, not necessarily 2009. It doesn't state which SEC team they would like to play in 2009. Even 2010 isn't even set yet. So nothing is confirmed.

It'd be nice for Auburn to get a piece of that action. We play Clemson in 2010 right? VT would be nice for next year. But I doubt it'll be the case since we already play LSU/UGA/UT/Arkansas on the road in addition to WVU at home.

What about Florida vs VaTech in the Dome or maybe UT. I hadn't really thought about next year's road slate but man that is TOUGH, I wouldn't mind going to one of those.

So is this like when Bama went to Hawaii for their "bowl" game? Now they're just gonna try to start setting up their own "SECCG" in the Georgia Dome?

So is this like when Bama went to Hawaii for their "bowl" game? Now they're just gonna try to start setting up their own "SECCG" in the Georgia Dome?

:roflol:

But to critique you, that would require playing an SEC team. Therefore, I would say it is like continuing with the bowl theme, in this case being a preseason Chick-Fil-A bowl.

I bet we can rule out LSU being VT's opponent. They recently played UGA in a bowl game. UF would be a great draw, as mentioned.

No. It's hard to get big teams to do tough home and homes anymore. One, you don't want to risk a loss...and two, you can play bessemer state tech at home instead and pay the visiting team with a case of hotdogs and a $50 spot.

Yea, it's so hard. Auburn is only doing it with Clemson, WVU, and GT. OSU is doing it with USC and Miami. UGA with Oklahoma St...

Are you admitting that Hawaii is tough? Well... they did defeat you guys once right?

But to critique you, that would require playing an SEC team. Therefore, I would say it is like continuing with the bowl theme, in this case being a preseason Chick-Fil-A bowl.

I bet we can rule out LSU being VT's opponent. They recently played UGA in a bowl game. UF would be a great draw, as mentioned.

I think mowegl was on to something. Only it was their own SECCG. Bama was trying to set up, but their own BCS Championship game. <_<

,,,,,,,,you don't want to risk a loss.

Especially when you only have six wins per year. :big::P:big:

I think mowegl was on to something. Only it was their own SECCG. Bama was trying to set up, but their own BCS Championship game. <_<

Nice - that was a better fit. Gotta rack up those national championships and keep Saban somehow!

Yea, it's so hard. Auburn is only doing it with Clemson, WVU, and GT. OSU is doing it with USC and Miami. UGA with Oklahoma St...

So you're going on record as saying it's something sinister Alabama is doing?

I actually think it's a great idea. I've been a proponent of AU playing big teams at a large market neutral site for some time. Jacksonville and Nashville would be the two I’d pick. We already have a big alumni and recruiting presence in Atlanta.

So you're going on record as saying it's something sinister Alabama is doing?

No, I'm going on the record saying that it is not super easy, but it is not difficult to get a home-and-home with good competition either.

Oh yea, I forgot Kansas State for Auburn as well...

I'd be all for one of the GOOD SEC teams (AU, UGA, LSU, Florida, UT) doing this, because I'd be 90% confident they would win.

This is just another way for uat to embarrass the SEC and feed the ESPN & BCS party line that the SEC is not the dominant conference.

I'd be all for one of the GOOD SEC teams (AU, UGA, LSU, Florida, UT) doing this, because I'd be 90% confident they would win.

This is just another way for uat to embarrass the SEC and feed the ESPN & BCS party line that the SEC is not the dominant conference.

well, we beat the living crap out of UT (who went on the the SECCG), took UGA into OT, was within 3 minutes of beating LSU, and didn't play UF. if we could come that close to beating one of the GOOD SEC teams and beating the crap out of one, what makes you think we just absolutely have no chance at all of winning against VT? i could understand the logic if we got absolutely waxed every one of those games, but we're only talking a TD or less in each one of those. i know horseshoes and handgrenades, etc, but if you're saying you would feel 90% confident that one of the "big boys" could beat VT, and if we can hang with those big boys, then i don't see why we don't have a fighting chance to win.

oh no, the we didn't lose by much to good teams and beat one team really bad argument.

I'd say Alabama has about as good a chance of winning a game against VT as say...Louisiana-Monroe.

oh no, the we didn't lose by much to good teams and beat one team really bad argument.

I'd say Alabama has about as good a chance of winning a game against VT as say...Louisiana-Monroe.

i'm not saying its proof that we're going to win, just saying i don't think we're going to walk in there and get our eyes stomped out either if we can hang with these teams that he feels 90% confident that they would beat VT. honestly we're both jumping the gun making the assumption either way seeing as how the 08 season hasn't even started. for all i know we will be world beaters in 08 and 09, although i highly highly HIGHLY doubt that happens.

RWS, I see you are posting on the Auburn Undercover Forum. Checking the bio the age

seems about right. LOL :cheer:

i'm not saying its proof that we're going to win, just saying i don't think we're going to walk in there and get our eyes stomped out either if we can hang with these teams that he feels 90% confident that they would beat VT. honestly we're both jumping the gun making the assumption either way seeing as how the 08 season hasn't even started. for all i know we will be world beaters in 08 and 09, although i highly highly HIGHLY doubt that happens.

I agree. It's unfair to Louisiana-Monroe to assume Alabama is going to be as good as them.

Is it just me, or am I the only one who fails to get excited about games at neutral sites?

I'd much rather play them in their own place with the understanding that they would be coming to ours next season.

Archived