Interesting Note from Press Conference

Aubie

Per Steve Johnson, it looks like CGC is leaning toward retaining Coach Willis. This is good since auburnsports.com was reporting that Raymond Cotton was pulling his committment since Coach Willis had been let go.

Do you guys think this is a good move, to retain Coach Willis. It looks like he has been doing all of the work to save this recruiting class.

WAR EAGLE!

:au:

Per Steve Johnson, it looks like CGC is leaning toward retaining Coach Willis. This is good since auburnsports.com was reporting that Raymond Cotton was pulling his committment since Coach Willis had been let go.

Do you guys think this is a good move, to retain Coach Willis. It looks like he has been doing all of the work to save this recruiting class.

WAR EAGLE!

I'm not sure they really know each other, but this would be a good move for CGC.

WAR EAGLE!

I'm not sure they really know each other, but this would be a good move for CGC.

Willis was a student assistance for at least part of the time that Chizik was here. And yes, of course, if he can hold the recruiting class together it is a good decision.

WILLIS COACHING EXPERIENCE

2001-03 - Auburn (Student Assistant - 2001-02; Defensive Graduate Asst. - 2003)

2004-05 - Rhode Island (Linebackers)

2005 - Temple (Linebackers)

2006 - Auburn (Linebackers)

If we're retaining an assistant coach just to get one recruit, that player better end up being a phenom.

So remind me why retaining Willis is such a big deal and why he's so unreplaceable? I'm still wondering how he was able to tell players last week that he'd be retained by the incoming coach. Either:

1. He knew the new HC a week before AU announced it (unlikely, doesn't fit the Chizik interview schedule either)

2. He was told "whomever is the new HC, we'll make sure he keeps you on" (bizarre...something you tell somebody that has the dirt on you) or

3. He lied to the recruit(s)

I'm looking @ the performances by players Willis has been in charge of coaching and nothing's jumping out either. James may end up being a rare coach, he was certainly a great player and a bright guy

It's not just one player that Willis has recruited. Jonathan Evans, Nick Fairley, Eltoro Freeman, LaVoyd James, Jamontay Pilson, and a few decommits- Cotton and I think Montez Robinson, were all guys he recruited..the guy is a heck of a recruiter, we need him, even if it's only for that.

Coaches just like anyone else in any other profession need mentors and time to develop. He recuits well so that is a good reason to keep him. Now it will be up to CGC to mold him into a stellar coach. He as the foundation I don't see a risk.

Might make sense to talk to CTT and get some history and performance evals from him.

Come on people life shouldn't be this hard.

So remind me why retaining Willis is such a big deal and why he's so unreplaceable? I'm still wondering how he was able to tell players last week that he'd be retained by the incoming coach. Either:

because while other coaches hauled ass to GA to take a job as a trucking executive (yea right)! Coach Willis was working tirelessly to keep the recruiting class together. Because when the chips fell he was the only coach to show loyalty to Auburn! That’s what True Auburn men do. Unlike some of our fair weather Auburn fans he worked to help Auburn . He did not cry or “jump ship” when things got tough he just worked even harder. Let me sum it up for you! because he is a Auburn Man that Loves Auburn!

Willis was seen Monday afternoon cleaning out his office. He's gone.

Willis was seen Monday afternoon cleaning out his office. He's gone.

And here is the "Paul Harvey" from Jay G. Tate:

Also said my good-byes to James Willis. That was a different deal. His office wasn't that packed. As I was walking along with him, Willis was approached by an athletic department official who said: "Have you talked with Chizik yet?"

Willis said: "No."

The official said: "You need to."

... so I'm still not sure what to tell you with Willis. I know Joe Whitt Sr. is out and about trying to repair the recruiting damage.

because while other coaches hauled ass to GA to take a job as a trucking executive (yea right)! Coach Willis was working tirelessly to keep the recruiting class together. Because when the chips fell he was the only coach to show loyalty to Auburn! That’s what True Auburn men do. Unlike some of our fair weather Auburn fans he worked to help Auburn . He did not cry or “jump ship” when things got tough he just worked even harder. Let me sum it up for you! because he is a Auburn Man that Loves Auburn!

Dont be stupid, every Auburn fan who has an opinion one way or another about this coaching debacle IS AN AUBURN MAN OR WOMAN. Whether they agree with you or not. Get it through your thick skull.

NO...."EVERY" one is NOT. Far too many uaters around in orange and blue clothing. They are being assisted by the very willing uat/munchkin media.

The time for griping is over. Time to shut up and support our University.

NO...."EVERY" one is NOT. Far too many uaters around in orange and blue clothing. They are being assisted by the very willing uat/munchkin media.

That's right, Bobby has spoken. If you don't like it go pull for someone else. Go give your scholarship money and your 12 football tickets to someone else. Go give your 2 basketball tickets to someone who appreciates 40% free throw shooting. Go give your 2 baseball season tickets to "real" Auburn fans. Those who don't mind having their school's athletic program trashed by egotistical, vindictive, incompetent bafoons. So if you can't get on board, just go across state and pull for that other school who went out and finally hired a "real" coach. Excuse me, I think my stock just fell another .50 cents.

That's right, Bobby has spoken. If you don't like it go pull for someone else. Go give your scholarship money and your 12 football tickets to someone else. Go give your 2 basketball tickets to someone who appreciates 40% free throw shooting. Go give your 2 baseball season tickets to "real" Auburn fans. Those who don't mind having their school's athletic program trashed by egotistical, vindictive, incompetent bafoons. So if you can't get on board, just go across state and pull for that other school who went out and finally hired a "real" coach. Excuse me, I think my stock just fell another .50 cents.

What are you talking about? Where has Alabama been the past 10 years? What about Florida before 1990? LSU and UT had bad years this past season. It happens to the best of them. While I wish Tuberville was still the HC, he's not, so move on and support your school. Quite being so whiney and miserable.

Although, now that Bush is out of office and Obama is in, I guess you need to complain about something, so d@mn Coach Chizik and Jay Jacobs and the BOT and Auburn University...because by d@mning one you are hurting all.

How about you shut up and let me support MY university in the way I want to. Do not question my support for AUBURN. You know NOTHING about me or what I do for the university. Support does not imply blind ignorance. You are the type who is not supporting AUBURN by allowing bad things to continually happen while you "shut up" and do nothing. It is that type of person that allowed the holocaust to occur. The "shut up and support it" people. And before some idiot says I am calling the Auburn coaching debacle anything close to the holocaust, I am not. I am trying to make the point that most of you cant seem to grasp. Support of Auburn for me means fighting against ANYONE who tries to bring her down.

So I should be excited about Obama too!? No.

The people on this board are always such lemmings. Yall are always behind in thought. I was blasted for my opinions on Borges and Campbell WAY before everyone on here finally started to agree. It is annoying that few on here can actually think for themselves. Like it or not, PC is one of the few people on this board who clearly has intellect and original thought. He doesn't always just shout the same ol worn out BS.

How about you shut up and let me support MY university in the way I want to. Do not question my support for AUBURN. You know NOTHING about me or what I do for the university. Support does not imply blind ignorance. You are the type who is not supporting AUBURN by allowing bad things to continually happen while you "shut up" and do nothing. It is that type of person that allowed the holocaust to occur. The "shut up and support it" people. And before some idiot says I am calling the Auburn coaching debacle anything close to the holocaust, I am not. I am trying to make the point that most of you cant seem to grasp. Support of Auburn for me means fighting against ANYONE who tries to bring her down.

So I should be excited about Obama too!? No.

The people on this board are always such lemmings. Yall are always behind in thought. I was blasted for my opinions on Borges and Campbell WAY before everyone on here finally started to agree. It is annoying that few on here can actually think for themselves. Like it or not, PC is one of the few people on this board who clearly has intellect and original thought. He doesn't always just shout the same ol worn out BS.

Have you and PC set a date yet? :poke:

Archived