Women's Team

all4AU

On a much more positive note, the AU women beat South Alabama today and are now 8-3 in a rebuilding year!!! Nell has completely rebuilt this program since coming back in 2004. I know that Men's hoops and Women's hoops are two completely different sports, but it's obvious that Nell has done so much more than Lebo.

She brought in a great freshman class this year and has an even better one coming in next year:

2010 Player Commits (from ESPN.com)

NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE STATUS NOTES

Camille Glymph Guard 5-9 J. L. Mann H.S. (SC) G #13 95 Signed

Jassany Williams Post 6-2 Nova H.S. (FL) P #7 94 Signed

Tyrese Tanner Wing 6-2 Hoover H.S. (AL) W #13 94 Signed

Peyton Davis Post 6-4 Mortimer Jordan H.S. (AL) P #31 88 Signed

Courtney Strain Guard 5-8 Woodland H.S. (AL) G #57 88 Signed

Not to mention, Nell has put the clamps down on the state of Alabama. Read her quote from today's game recap:

Fortner was also excited about the crowd, nearly half of which was made up of Auburn fans, helping to take away some of the Jaguar home-court advantage.

"It was awesome, I thought we had a great crowd today," said Fortner. "It was awesome to hear them sing the fight song after the game. The team really gets excited seeing a lot of orange in blue in the stands on the road."

Courtney Strain is a beast! She is the the all time leading scorer in state history and her sister is just as good. Representing my home Randolph County! :cheer:

The jump from Woodland to the SEC will be a huge one. I hope Courtney can handle it! In her favor, basketball is not so much like football, where coming from a big HS program makes a difference. There are plenty of college BB players from small schools.

Agree, Fortner has done a lot more than Lebo for Auburn BB.

It may be a different game, but Fortner's women have been beating big-time programs and steadily working their way up the food chain.

Fortner gets the top talent from this state. Lebo gets one on occasion (Frankie Sullivan right now) but yields the bulk of them to UAT and others.

Archived