Florida DC leaves a day after signing day

bellefay1

http://blogs.tampabay.com/gators/2010/02/florida-defensive-coordinator-george-edwards-to-join-buffalo-bills-staff.html

One day after signing the nation's No. 1 recruiting class, Florida has lost its defensive coordinator.

George Edwards' tenure with the Gators has ended less than one month after he was hired to replace former defensive coordinator Charlie Strong,

The Buffalo Bills announced Thursday they have hired the former Miami Dolphins assistant coach as their new defensive coordinator. Edwards was hired at Florida on Jan. 8 after five seasons with the Dolphins.

“We are very excited that George Edwards has joined our staff as defensive coordinator,” head coach Chan Gailey said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of experience, not only as a motivator and communicator, but he has been involved with some great schemes and we are excited about him being the head of our defense.”

The move comes less than 24 hours after Florida's press conference lauding its top-ranked class.

During his press conference Wednesday afternoon, UF coach Urban Meyer spoke extensively about the work of his coaching staff. He made a point to mention every coach except Edwards, which has led to speculation that Edwards has not been a part of the late-game recruiting.

“I feel like this is a great opportunity for me to come in and have a chance to work with Coach Gailey again and the staff that he has been able to put together,” Edwards said. “I am excited to have the opportunity to come to Buffalo and look forward to getting started as quickly as possible. This is a team that has played good defense in the past and I am excited to continue on with that tradition.”

Edwards made no mention of Florida in his statements in the Bills' press release.

Florida offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will coordinate the hiring process for a new coach.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/gators/2010/02/florida-defensive-coordinator-george-edwards-to-join-buffalo-bills-staff.html

One day after signing the nation's No. 1 recruiting class, Florida has lost its defensive coordinator.

George Edwards' tenure with the Gators has ended less than one month after he was hired to replace former defensive coordinator Charlie Strong,

The Buffalo Bills announced Thursday they have hired the former Miami Dolphins assistant coach as their new defensive coordinator. Edwards was hired at Florida on Jan. 8 after five seasons with the Dolphins.

“We are very excited that George Edwards has joined our staff as defensive coordinator,” head coach Chan Gailey said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of experience, not only as a motivator and communicator, but he has been involved with some great schemes and we are excited about him being the head of our defense.”

The move comes less than 24 hours after Florida's press conference lauding its top-ranked class.

During his press conference Wednesday afternoon, UF coach Urban Meyer spoke extensively about the work of his coaching staff. He made a point to mention every coach except Edwards, which has led to speculation that Edwards has not been a part of the late-game recruiting.

“I feel like this is a great opportunity for me to come in and have a chance to work with Coach Gailey again and the staff that he has been able to put together,” Edwards said. “I am excited to have the opportunity to come to Buffalo and look forward to getting started as quickly as possible. This is a team that has played good defense in the past and I am excited to continue on with that tradition.”

Edwards made no mention of Florida in his statements in the Bills' press release.

Florida offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will coordinate the hiring process for a new coach.

I wonder how all the top Defensive players feel a day later?? Dont tell me they didnt know ahead of time. Thats some bush league stuff right there.

meh, this isn't really as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be. The guy hasn't even been at UF for more than a month. Most of the recruits were there before he even came along. He was also offered the job on NSD, so was he supposed to wait to take the job? That would have been more of a dick move.

He shouldn't have taken the Florida job to begin with if he wanted an NFL job this year.

How would he have known if he would have been offered a job in the NFL? So you are telling me you wouldn't take an offer for a better job?

It's certainly A LOT better than what James Willis did to Auburn by leaving right before signing day.

He was also offered the job on NSD

Yeah, and I'm the Pope of Rome.

You do realize Gailey has only been the coach there for 2 weeks right? How is that so unheard of? Even if it was before NSD, it wasn't by much.

You know I was thinking what if all these kids sign and then come fall Urban decides he isn't coming back after all.

You know I was thinking what if all these kids sign and then come fall Urban decides he isn't coming back after all.

No way.

I am fairly confident that that entire saga was a giant recruiting ploy. Urban Meyer never had any intention of stepping down. He is worse than Nick Saban.

He was also offered the job on NSD

Yeah, and I'm the Pope of Rome.

You do realize Gailey has only been the coach there for 2 weeks right? How is that so unheard of? Even if it was before NSD, it wasn't by much.

bills brass russ brandon & buddy nix had a little input in this hire. coaching staff was more than likely picked for him.

For decades I've heard coaches say "recruits shouldn't pick a coach, they should pick a college". If a kid picks a place entirely based on a coach, particularly an assistant, I don't feel sorry for him if the coach leaves.

For decades I've heard coaches say "recruits shouldn't pick a coach, they should pick a college". If a kid picks a place entirely based on a coach, particularly an assistant, I don't feel sorry for him if the coach leaves.

Certainly there are no guarantees that any coach will be around for four more years. I hope the kids that just signed with Spurrier, Miles, or Richt didn't sign under the assumption that any of those three were sure to be around for their entire college career. :rolleyes:

(Or for that matter, Gus Malzahn, who seems destined for bigger and better things relatively soon, but I hope we can get 2-3 more years from him before he moves up..)

However, I do think a coach has an moral obligation to tell a recruit if his departure is imminent or already a done deal. Of course, I also thought a coach had a moral obligation to tell a recruit if his school already had in hand a secret NCAA PLOI for a textbook problem. <_<

Archived