Women vs. Kentucky - Round 2 of SEC Tournament

WarTiger

These teams split in the regular season with both teams getting double digit wins on their home floor. Now, a neutral site matchup in the 2nd round of the SEC tournament. Let's go lady tigers!!! Tipping off in a few minutes.

kentucky running a full court press and really giving auburn trouble. Kentucky leads early 6-4. Auburn has to take care of the ball and beat kentucky's pressure.

Auburn not taking care of the ball and missing some easy shots. Kentucky leads 26-21 with 4:30 to play. Timeout Auburn.

tigers turned the ball over and squandered several opportunities in the first half to keep it closer. Kentucky leads 32-25 at the half.

Auburn not taking advantage of their possessions and turning the ball over too much. Kentucky has opened it up to 12. Had several possessions already in the 2nd half that kentucky didn't score are we just squandered those opportunities on the offensive end. We've got to take better care of the ball or this will be it for us in the tournament.

7:39 to play. Kentucky leads 51-44. Tigers are playing tough and taking good shots, just too many turnovers and they are getting 3's and we aren't. Kentucky has 5 3's and we have 1.

Ky is killing us on turnovers and rebounds the past few minutes. 59-44 4:34 left

#33 looks like she is spent, she got a lucky block but she needs to be fighting for the boards.

kentucky in firm control 3:24 to play kentucky up 61-48. We just didn't get the shots we needed today to win this one. The bright spot is there is only ONE senior on this team, so they will all be back next year with this year of experience.

Carrier is lazy, we should have the rebound on the mist FT but she let it roll out of bounds. You have to play to the end.

kentucky in firm control 3:24 to play kentucky up 61-48. We just didn't get the shots we needed today to win this one. The bright spot is there is only ONE senior on this team, so they will all be back next year with this year of experience.

You really think there's a bright spot? I remain unimpressed. I learned from watching Coach Champi's teams win 20+ year after year that it's not necessary to have three down years between each successful one. With a fifth-year senior, two juniors and only one freshman in the starting mix, this was not really a "young" team.

There was no reason for the team two years ago not making the sweet 16 and absolutely no reason for last years' team not being in the final four. Instead they got elminated; out hustled and out coached to the tune of a 28 point loss in the SECOND round to a #8 seed.

KeKe Carrier, a fifth year senior, is in no better physical condition to play basketball now than she was five years ago. Whose fault is that? Coach, player, both?

Turnovers killed us again yesterday. Thursday at one point we had FIVE consecutive turnovers. It's the end of the season. Well coached teams do not have 20+ turnovers a game this late in the season.

This team has finished with a worse overall record and worse SEC record than Lebo's team will. I suppose a case could be made for Tay Waller, when he's on, being as good a player as Alli Smalley. I don't think the men's team has a player comparable to Greenleaf. Yet the women's team had a worse year than the men's.

Lebo's recruiting for next year is ranked #5 nationally by HoopScoop. Fortner's effort is way below that.

The one difference in Fortner's favor is a better public personality and high visibility in community relations. Is that enough?. Are y'all sure we're talking about getting rid of the right coach?

You really think there's a bright spot? I remain unimpressed. I learned from watching Coach Champi's teams win 20+ year after year that it's not necessary to have three down years between each successful one. With a fifth-year senior, two juniors and only one freshman in the starting mix, this was not really a "young" team.

There was no reason for the team two years ago not making the sweet 16 and absolutely no reason for last years' team not being in the final four. Instead they got elminated; out hustled and out coached to the tune of a 28 point loss in the SECOND round to a #8 seed.

KeKe Carrier, a fifth year senior, is in no better physical condition to play basketball now than she was five years ago. Whose fault is that? Coach, player, both?

Turnovers killed us again yesterday. Thursday at one point we had FIVE consecutive turnovers. It's the end of the season. Well coached teams do not have 20+ turnovers a game this late in the season.

This team has finished with a worse overall record and worse SEC record than Lebo's team will. I suppose a case could be made for Tay Waller, when he's on, being as good a player as Alli Smalley. I don't think the men's team has a player comparable to Greenleaf. Yet the women's team had a worse year than the men's.

Lebo's recruiting for next year is ranked #5 nationally by HoopScoop. Fortner's effort is way below that.

The one difference in Fortner's favor is a better public personality and high visibility in community relations. Is that enough?. Are y'all sure we're talking about getting rid of the right coach?

Would you rather have Lebo coaching this team?

Would you rather have Lebo coaching this team?

Yes, because I hate lack of effort. The women's losses to UAT, MSU and LSU (the latter two at home) were characterized by poor effort. At leaast Lebo's team hustles and plays hard.

You really think there's a bright spot? I remain unimpressed.

of course you do. You seem to want nothing but to complain about everything lately. Yes, I see a TON of potential with the players we have on the floor now. They just need to play and get experience. They did that this year and should be better next year.

I learned from watching Coach Champi's teams win 20+ year after year that it's not necessary to have three down years between each successful one. With a fifth-year senior, two juniors and only one freshman in the starting mix, this was not really a "young" team.

If you think we were going to graduate the number of players we did from a year ago, and not see a drop off, you don't know much about the game. For the record, your "starting lineup" that you are so quick to toss out there isn't accurate. Morgan Tolles has run the point guard position all year as a freshman. Blanche Alverson starts most games for us as well, also a FRESHMAN. That's TWO freshmen in the starting lineup. Those girls are in the starting lineup as FRESHMAN because they are good. They aren't perfect. But, they are freshman that are going to make mistakes.

I'll agree I was disappointed in the results at the end of last season too. #2 seed should have meant at least final 8. We clearly had the deck stacked against us having to play on Rutgers home floor in the tournament. Not an excuse but a fact. Home court matters. If you don't think so, again your knowledge of basketball is highly questioned.

I agree. She should be an absolute dominating force in women's basketball, but she isn't conditioned for it. She did drop some weight during the off season in a conditioning program, but for whatever reason failed to learn how to utilize her size to her advantage. Could it be that she was just stubborn and didn't listen to the coaches instructions? I don't automatically assume its the coaches fault for a player not performing to their potential.

This goes back to freshmen players. They aren't perfect. They will make mistakes. During that same stretch the other day, kentucky turned the ball over on 3 out of 4 possessions as well. It happens.

Show me the current recruiting rankings for women's basketball. I'd like to see where you got your info. I'm guessing its pulled out of thin air just to make your argument. FTR, we have Courtney Strain coming in next year and she's the all time leading scorer in the state of alabama. She set that mark as a JUNIOR.

Yes, fortner has sold her program better to the university. No question. She's an excellent basketball coach too.

We have signed 3 players ranked in the ESPN top 100 and courtney Strain isn't one of them.

To address the starting five, Alverson just became a starter for the last few games. Before that she was not a starter, and for most of the season Toles was the only frosh seeing much playing time.

If you think we were going to graduate the number of players we did from a year ago, and not see a drop off, you don't know much about the game.

Oh, I knew we were going to be way down. I predicted it at this time last year. http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57180&st=0&p=589771&fromsearch=1entry589771

Some others disagreed with me. Again, Coach Champi demonstrated that it's not necessary to collapse after a successful season.

Supper is ready. I'll be back later.

Pot roast and all the trimmings. Good stuff!

Yes, home court matters. Does it matter enough that a 2 seed should lose to an 8 seed in a 28 point beatdown? Did you watch that mess? I did. Those two teams could have played in BEMC and we'd have been cut to ribbons.

I suppose you got your recruiting info from ESPN's top 100. Auburn signed the number 52, 59 and 75 players off that list. Do you think that's going to make us competitive in the SEC? Even UAT signed two of those players and one of theirs was ranked #5.

I really have a lot of respect for the Strain family of Randolph County. I met several of them years ago while I was working there. Good Auburn folks all. As you pointed out, Courtney Strain is not on the list of 100 top prospects. I sincerely hope that she makes those that left her off look silly after she gets to Auburn, but I understand why she's not listed.

Anyways: I can see how last year's 30-4 record, no matter how under-achieving that was, will buy a coach a couple of years of mediocrity. Toss in a good public persona and you've got another year or two. Then factor in that there aren't a whole lot of us that give a rat's azz about women's BB and I guess Coach Nell will be there as long as she wants to be there.

I've sort of resigned myself to that, but I do refuse to let unsatisfactory performance go without comment, so I'm commenting.

Archived