Bye Bye Lebo

AUgrad00

Bring on Scott Drew now Jacobs please.

I cannot watch this garbage anymore. Bad defense, Reed a senior playing out of control, and the offense might as well be a three point shooting contest.

If Scott Drew can rebuild that trainwreck which is Baylor he could build a PROGRAM at Auburn Jacobs send this guy a damn blank check.

This will all be over soon. We're scheduled to play Florida in the first round of the tournament. Lebo is 0 for all time versus Florida.

While I agree with your prediction your reasoning is false. Lebo is 1 for 7 against Florida. Finally beat them last year in the SEC tourney before MSU bounced us on Saturday.

This will all be over soon. We're scheduled to play Florida in the first round of the tournament. Lebo is 0 for all time versus Florida.

While I agree with your prediction your reasoning is false. Lebo is 1 for 7 against Florida. Finally beat them last year in the SEC tourney before MSU bounced us on Saturday.

Sorry. My depression blocked that win from my memory.

I can only hope that the train wreck that is the Lebo years is coming to an end. I just don't feel confident that the AD will pull the trigger on this misery and get rid of Lebo. I would LOVE to see Baylor's coach come build a program at AU, but I don't think there is anyone in the Athletics office that cares about AU basketball.

:angry:

I can only hope that the train wreck that is the Lebo years is coming to an end. I just don't feel confident that the AD will pull the trigger on this misery and get rid of Lebo. I would LOVE to see Baylor's coach come build a program at AU, but I don't think there is anyone in the Athletics office that cares about AU basketball.

Obviously someone in athletics cares about Auburn basketball. You do know that we have a brand new arena under construction and ready to open next year, right?

Now whether Jacobs will fire Lebo and hire a coach who is an improvement, that is another question. I don't have much faith in Jacobs ability to pick a good coach (though he did do better with Chizik than I initially gave him credit for).

Obviously someone in athletics cares about Auburn basketball. You do know that we have a brand new arena under construction and ready to open next year, right?

Now whether Jacobs will fire Lebo and hire a coach who is an improvement, that is another question. I don't have much faith in Jacobs ability to pick a good coach (though he did do better with Chizik than I initially gave him credit for).

Yes, I am aware of the new arena, but I wonder how much of that was because someone has interest in basketball, and how much was just to improve a dinosaur of an arena, (I am sure it will also be used for graduations, and other events just like Beard-Eaves). Like you, I have no faith that Jacobs will hire the kind of rebuilding coach that Auburn needs/deserves.

Thing is to really really fix the problem that is the basketball program Auburn will need to pay a top notch coach like say Drew probably at least 2 mil and Lebo's buyout is 1.5 million so that 3.5 million AU will need to spend I just do not have faith the university will do this. I mean hell Lebo is one of the lowest paid head coaches in the SEC right now you get what you pay for.

Yes, I am aware of the new arena, but I wonder how much of that was because someone has interest in basketball, and how much was just to improve a dinosaur of an arena, (I am sure it will also be used for graduations, and other events just like Beard-Eaves). Like you, I have no faith that Jacobs will hire the kind of rebuilding coach that Auburn needs/deserves.

No faith huh? Which hire has JJ botched since he has been here? Oh wait, Lebo was hired before JJ was AD no way! Oh wait, Tom Slater, the guy who drove Auburn baseball into the tank, was hired before JJ was AD no way! So I ask why so much hostility for Jacobs when he was not the one who hired these bad coaches. Should he have gotten rid of them sooner? Maybe, but maybe he was willing to give them a few season to get things turned around. Chizik seems to have been a pretty good hire. I think Pawlowski has what it takes to get our baseball program turned around. We had a coaching change in swimming and we are still winning there. So what has JJ done that has been so bad? The only possible thing is the mishandling of Muschamp(we may not know the entire story behind that either). I think every other move he has made has been pretty good. I don't know why everyone thinks he is incapable of making a good hire when he has not made a bad hire to this point in his career. I feel like some of you are just joining in on the bashing because it's the cool thing to do and you want to sound smart.

No faith huh? Which hire has JJ botched since he has been here? Oh wait, Lebo was hired before JJ was AD no way! Oh wait, Tom Slater, the guy who drove Auburn baseball into the tank, was hired before JJ was AD no way! So I ask why so much hostility for Jacobs when he was not the one who hired these bad coaches. Should he have gotten rid of them sooner? Maybe, but maybe he was willing to give them a few season to get things turned around. Chizik seems to have been a pretty good hire. I think Pawlowski has what it takes to get our baseball program turned around. We had a coaching change in swimming and we are still winning there. So what has JJ done that has been so bad? The only possible thing is the mishandling of Muschamp(we may not know the entire story behind that either). I think every other move he has made has been pretty good. I don't know why everyone thinks he is incapable of making a good hire when he has not made a bad hire to this point in his career. I feel like some of you are just joining in on the bashing because it's the cool thing to do and you want to sound smart.

Bravo! I'm still waiting for JJ to make one of those big mistakes he's always accused of making.

Very good post many very good points. I would say the verdict is still out on both Pawloski and Chizik though both hires appear as good ones. AU baseball is currently 9-2. Which is good because of all the sports AU baseball should always be a top ten program they have everything basketball was lacking great facilities and great fan support and tradition.

All of the above said Jacobs appeared to make good hires there however I think this is the most important hire he will make. Auburn's basketball program is no where right now honestly and clipping Lebo to bring in an unproven mid major coach is a calculated gamble at best. Jacobs needs to hire a PROVEN winning head coach from a major conference(Scott Drew is the perfect choice) so a splash hire is what he needs and needs to know he can get that before he clips Lebo. Sorry firing Lebo to hire the Richmond coach is a latral move in my book. You fire an unproven coach in a rebuilding phase to hire another unproven coach where is the logic in that. If you fire Lebo you damn sure better know you can get a better coach before you pull the plug that is common sense.

I just really wonder if Jacobs has the acumen and ability to get a really good proven coach. If he cant he might as well ride out this sinking ship with Lebo which is a tough call because giving Lebo next season is a guarantee you have to bring him back the following because next season is such a rebuilding year. Then your into year 8 with a coach who has still never been to the tourney. I think Lebo is a good guy who is trying to win the right way and loves Auburn and I dont ever want to take joy in the failings of others but damn he has to win at some point

and I so would like to point to something that would make me see if AU keeps

him he can get things turned but you just cant.

Very good post many very good points. I would say the verdict is still out on both Pawloski and Chizik though both hires appear as good ones. AU baseball is currently 9-2. Which is good because of all the sports AU baseball should always be a top ten program they have everything basketball was lacking great facilities and great fan support and tradition.

All of the above said Jacobs appeared to make good hires there however I think this is the most important hire he will make. Auburn's basketball program is no where right now honestly and clipping Lebo to bring in an unproven mid major coach is a calculated gamble at best. Jacobs needs to hire a PROVEN winning head coach from a major conference(Scott Drew is the perfect choice) so a splash hire is what he needs and needs to know he can get that before he clips Lebo. Sorry firing Lebo to hire the Richmond coach is a latral move in my book. You fire an unproven coach in a rebuilding phase to hire another unproven coach where is the logic in that. If you fire Lebo you damn sure better know you can get a better coach before you pull the plug that is common sense.

I just really wonder if Jacobs has the acumen and ability to get a really good proven coach. If he cant he might as well ride out this sinking ship with Lebo which is a tough call because giving Lebo next season is a guarantee you have to bring him back the following because next season is such a rebuilding year. Then your into year 8 with a coach who has still never been to the tourney. I Lebo is a good guy who is trying to win the right way and loves Auburn and I dont ever want to take joy in the failings of others but damn he has to win at some point.

I agree the verdict is definitely still out on Chizik and Pawlowski, but they certainly seem to have what we need right now. I was just saying, I don't understand why everyone always jumps on JJ when he was not the one who hired these guys. JJ came into a pretty bad situation if you ask me and I think he has done a pretty good job trying to get us back to where we need to be.

I think the reason why Jacobs has been getting heat is because he hasn't gotten rid of Lebo before now. Really, Lebo should have been let go last year when we didn't make the NCAA Tournament but instead he gave Lebo an extension. Now, we've had another stellar year in basketball under Lebo and people have had their fill of not going to any post-season tournament.

My biggest gripe about Lebo is that he hasn't changed his style of basketball since he's been at Auburn, every year no matter who's playing, we're running up and down the court moving around the 3 point line to get open 3 point shots. Auburn's had no inside game since Lebo's been here, Lebo's had 6 years to just get a big guy that if nothing else could at least get rebounds and block some shots. Obviously Lebo's style of basketball hasn't worked well and he hasn't changed it so that's the coach's fault not the players.

I'd like to give Lebo one year in the new arena, just to be fair, but I don't think it's going to matter either way at this point because we're still going to be shooting a bunch of 3's next year too under Lebo. He's had 6 years, he's not going to change his style of play.

Fair criticism I agree with all this.

And I totally agree IM SICK AS HELL OF NOT BEING IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT IT SUCKS!

I know AU is a football school but top five recruiting classes and winning football does not replace the empty feeling of Auburn never bleeping having their named called in March. I fail to understand why it doesnt piss off more AU fans it damn sure does me. I though the other day seven freaking years since AU has been to the tournament. That sucks.

I think the reason why Jacobs has been getting heat is because he hasn't gotten rid of Lebo before now. Really, Lebo should have been let go last year when we didn't make the NCAA Tournament but instead he gave Lebo an extension. Now, we've had another stellar year in basketball under Lebo and people have had their fill of not going to any post-season tournament.

My biggest gripe about Lebo is that he hasn't changed his style of basketball since he's been at Auburn, every year no matter who's playing, we're running up and down the court moving around the 3 point line to get open 3 point shots. Auburn's had no inside game since Lebo's been here, Lebo's had 6 years to just get a big guy that if nothing else could at least get rebounds and block some shots. Obviously Lebo's style of basketball hasn't worked well and he hasn't changed it so that's the coach's fault not the players.

I'd like to give Lebo one year in the new arena, just to be fair, but I don't think it's going to matter either way at this point because we're still going to be shooting a bunch of 3's next year too under Lebo. He's had 6 years, he's not going to change his style of play.

One year in the new arena isn't going to prove anything. Either fire the guy now or give him at least two years, maybe more.

Bill, on SportsCall, made a good case for either firing Lebo now or keeping him 2-3 more years, due to the APR situation. With six current seniors, it'll be better to do it now or wait for some extended period of time.

Y'all do know that if the basketball APR fall too low, it can cost us football scholarships, right?

I just really wonder if Jacobs has the acumen and ability to get a really good proven coach. If he cant he might as well ride out this sinking ship with Lebo which is a tough call because giving Lebo next season is a guarantee you have to bring him back the following because next season is such a rebuilding year. Then your into year 8 with a coach who has still never been to the tourney. I Lebo is a good guy who is trying to win the right way and loves Auburn and I dont ever want to take joy in the failings of others but damn he has to win at some point.

I agree the verdict is definitely still out on Chizik and Pawlowski, but they certainly seem to have what we need right now. I was just saying, I don't understand why everyone always jumps on JJ when he was not the one who hired these guys. JJ came into a pretty bad situation if you ask me and I think he has done a pretty good job trying to get us back to where we need to be.

Agree, it copnfused lots of us why so many Au fans can not support AD directors, at least JJ has been working hard to right the ship from that 2003 football scandal and the this basketball problem.

Precisely. You have to either cut bait with this guy or keep him at a minimum of two more year Tommy Bowden from his Clemson days is outraged at how little this guy has done to deserve to keep his job.

One year in the new arena isn't going to prove anything. Either fire the guy now or give him at least two years, maybe more.

Bill, on SportsCall, made a good case for either firing Lebo now or keeping him 2-3 more years, due to the APR situation. With six current seniors, it'll be better to do it now or wait for some extended period of time.

Y'all do know that if the basketball APR fall too low, it can cost us football scholarships, right?

Archived