D-Line

AUtigersAUsome

I was just beginning to wonder why we are not talking about this group. We all saw Nick Fairly's game that was incredible, but their ability to pressure MSU without stunts or blitzes was awesome. That can be a major game changer. Pressure causes errant throws as well as sacks and turnovers. This is beginning to look like a defensive and overall team strength. Oh! I almost forgot...Tracy Rocker is their coach. Chill Out! Two games in I tend to look at positives. Call me an "Idealist" if you must but Cam Newton and the D-Line performance has me even more excited about that Clemson game.

Guest SWestbrookAU

Honestly I was worried about the D-line coming into the season. I knew we had depth but had no idea of the quality that we had in the starting rotation. My goodness Fairley was good last year but he's made a huge improvement. Blanc has played well, Goggans continues to stop the run, and Carter consistently gets pressure on the QB. Very strong D-Line.

Agreed. I also like that when we start playing a lot of freshmen/rookies, there isn't a big drop off either. We might not get as consistent pressure with them, but they've certainly played fantastic for their first few games.

I thought Fairley would be the key going into the season and so far he has been great. When you have a guy in the middle that the offense has to double-team to have any chance of blocking it completely changes the game up front, just like fat boy Cody did for Alabama the last two years and Rocker did for us when he was playing. If Fairley can keep his head on straight he can be an All-American and a very wealthy man some day, no doubt.

Fairley (obviously), Blanc and Clayton were all outstanding. Pretty well dominated the point of attack all night. State got virtually nothing between the tackles, and they (our DTs) a consistent interior push on the pass plays, too. Great, great game for those three. Whitaker's maturation will only make this group that much stronger as the year goes on.

Archived