4-0

Clint

Well, we hit the four win mark! Unfortunatly we played like crap tonight. Bad shots, bad passes, bad play all around. Our guys got out played under the goal, badly. Chub started, and had 1 rebound, in the final minute of the game...Barbee was NOT happy one bit. He tried to put on the 'a wins a win' face he has the previous two weeks, but it didn't work. He bout chewed out the entire team except Kouassi. That boy played amazing!! The refs tonight were very strict. Called everything. Many, MANY away-from-the-ball calls, 90% on Auburn.

We got a lot of work to do before Friday's game against a very good Setan Hall team.

9-15 from behind the arc. w00t! WDE

However, Barbee doesn't sound pleased...

Auburn defeats Arkansas Pine-Bluff 72-59. Chris Denson leads Auburn with 17 points, Kenny Gabriel with 16, Frankie Sullivan with 14.

Tony Barbee: "I'm not enjoying coaching this group right now."

@HABOTN

Coach Tony Barbee not happy at all about his team's performance. Despite the 4-0 record, Barbee not pleased with the team's intensity.

Barbee said the only player he thought played well was freshman center Willy Kouassi. Said he has the toughness the team needs.

@JHokanson

Barbee said Auburn lacking "meanness, nastiness, toughness.".."My starting (center) got his 1st rebound with 1 minute left in the game!"

Barbee on Chubb's bad game.: "I don’t know, but he’s distracted right now, and I haven't figured out why."

Barbee on Willy Jacques Kouassi: "He has no clue what he's doing out there, but he knows how to play hard."

@auburnbeat

Frankie Sullivan: "We're not satisfied with ourselves at all right now."

Kenny Gabriel said Barbee "really wanted to throw up by the way we played defense today."

@AUBlog

It wasnt pretty at all. Literally, 0:03 into the game and KG had a foul called on him. I don't know if its personelle, coaching, or just a bad off night. I wish I could tell you.

Barbee also said that the guys act like they are getting 10 teeth pulled at the dentist's office every time they come in to practice.

On the Auburn Men's Basketball page on ESPN.COM list team stats as the following:

-Points per game

-76.7 (67th)

-Rebounds per game

-42.0 (14th)

-Assist per game

-17.3 (19th)

-Field goal %

-0.473 (66th)

Now, I'm not one for stats, and stats alone, because I think they are always situational; always depends on some other factor. But these ranks are awesome!! I remember checking last year, and that team averaged 60 pts per game, ranked in at like 250-300th. I think one of those stats, rebounds, was ranked higher than 200th. So this is a big change.

Now for Setan Hall, they're stats arent too great...128th, 231st, 164th, and 128th, in the above order. The Pirates are 5-1 with that one loss coming in a close game to Northwestern. They haven't played anyone, just like us. Friday night will be a fun game!!

Just so we're clear on our opponent, it's Seton Hall (not Setan Hall). Even though it may be seasons past, Seton has name recognition in basketball. With that said, a win will have people sitting up and noticing AU as being on the basketball map.

I think he's sending a message to the players and making sure they understand that 4-0 don't mean s!@#$ and we have a ton of work to do before we can compete with the SEC and others. I like it! He's sending a message loud and clear.

I think he's sending a message to the players and making sure they understand that 4-0 don't mean s!@#$ and we have a ton of work to do before we can compete with the SEC and others. I like it! He's sending a message loud and clear.

Agreed. I love the identity he's establishing. He wants a team that's tough, hungry and mean, and loves to compete (and win) on the defensive end. A team that gets outrebounded (e-gad!) and loses more turnovers than it creates vs. Ark-PB does not have that kind of identity. Good shooting was the major difference last night; you can't expect to win what that all the time, especially in conference.

On the upside, good to hear that Kouassi is (maybe) bringing a physical / defensive presence in the interior. If he can provide 15+ quality minutes per game, that's a huge plus. Whatever offense he brings is gravy.

Archived