Alphonse Taylor

AUloggerhead

Smells

Why does this all sound so familiar? Are they coached to say these things?

Alphonse Taylor, four-star offensive tackle from Mobile-Davidson, Ala., made his final decision Friday before Christmas. Taylor talked about his commitment to Alabama.

Alphonse Taylor released a statement Friday about his decision.

"After carefully considering the amazing opportunities in front of me, I am committing to play football for the University of Alabama and enroll in January. I appreciate the support of my family, friends, teachers, and coaches who have always helped and supported me. While there were many factors to my decision, ultimately I want to play Nose Guard for Alabama whose fierce and dedicated defenses are a tradition in this state and around the nation."

“I maintain a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Fisher and the Florida State Seminoles.”---Alphonse Taylor

Taylor talked with Scout.com shortly after the press release.

"At the end of the day Alabama is the best place for me," he said. "That's where I felt will give me the best opportunity for success int he long run. I made my final decision about Alabama today."

"The Alabama coaching staff wants me to come in and play nose guard. The coaches are a great group of guys who are in position to help players develop."

"It's a great opportunity for me. I want to thank everyone for everything, but without God

On the surface it sounds like just another high profile teenaged recruit making up his confused mind. But then you listen to what his HS coach has instilled in his players about recruiting & committments: Stink

Taylor suddenly de-commits from FSU

by John Crist of NoleDigest.com, December 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm ET

Alphonse Taylor Profile

When I first met Mobile (AL) Davidson High School offensive tackle Alphonse Taylor at the Jimbo Fisher Football Camp, I was impressed with how the then-Florida State commitment answered my question with regard to him still being recruited by other schools.

OT Alphonse Taylor

Scout.com

“I don’t take phone calls from them,” Taylor told me June 21. “When people call me, I just reject the calls. My commit is serious. I’m a hard commit. Because at Davidson, we don’t play that commit to someone and then de-commit and all that. Once you commit, that’s the school of your choice. You’re committed, and that’s that.”

But then Tuesday, the 6-6, 340-pounder did exactly what he professed he'd never do, as he de-committed from the Seminoles and opened up his recruitment once again.

“After much deliberation and conversation, Alphonse Taylor has decided against attending Florida State University," Davidson coach Fred Riley said in a statement to the Mobile Press Register. "We have spent the greater part of the past two days discussing this decision and its ramifications. I have met with the family, and they are in full support of their son, and Florida Stare was notified of his decision this morning."

Reading between the lines of the rest of Riley's statement, it's clear he doesn't like the way Taylor's sudden de-commitment went down since he specifically preaches against this kind of wishy-washy behavior, but that didn't prevent it from happening.

"As you are aware, we frown upon this type of thing at Davidson, and this has been discussed at great length with Alphonse," he added. "We are asking that he be allowed a couple of days to work through this, and he will not be available or making any public statements concerning this or his future until some time Friday."

It remains to be seen if there is any sort of ripple effect following Taylor's abrupt decision. One of the reasons FSU was reportedly on its way to another top recruiting class in 2012 was quarterbacks coach Dameyune Craig pulling a handful of high-profile commitments from his home state of Alabama -- like Taylor, Craig is a Mobile native. Among the other potential future 'Noles are five-star quarterback Jameis Winston, four-star defensive tackle Justin Shanks and four-star defensive end Chris Casher, all of whom have committed to wearing garnet and gold, even if National Signing Day isn't until Feb. 1.

It's also not beyond the realm of possibility that the other offers Taylor is hoping to get never materialize, not to the school he wants -- Alabama, supposedly -- nor for the purposes of playing defense, which means he may have to head to Tallahassee anyway, assuming the coaching staff still wants him after this episode.

Taylor is only a teenager, and the last thing I want to do is pile on a high school senior because we all pulled some head scratchers when we were his age. However, seemingly overnight, he went from arguably Florida State's strongest commitment to all of a sudden considering other options. Just five days ago, on Dec. 8, Taylor was interviewed by Scout.com field reporter Emily Villere and reiterated his commitment to the 'Noles, specifically citing the "family-friendly environment" he felt.

With Taylor having just competed Saturday in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game, it's more than a safe bet that's where the shenanigans began.

AS WE CAN ALL SEE, it's not just Auburn here. It's a problem that exists with several regions of this state. Alabama is in the middle of a "process" with certain coaches at certain high shools in Alabama. I'd like to see the donations given to these high school booster programs and where the money is coming from. FOI certainly exists here.

Things have stunk down hear for about three years. I'm not sure what is up. The high school coaching issue is interesting. I would not expect Fred Riley (Davidson Head Coach) to participate in that stuff. I do, however, believe that Kerry Stephenson (Vigor Head Coach) has for several years.

It's clear, though, that Alabama has the Mobile area locked down at the moment.

And, yes, I believe they are coached regarding what to say and how to say it: the press release, the wording, all of it.

Jeremy Pruitt is apparently the current version of Ivey Williams. He's flipping folks and dragging in big names. He'll be a target of lots of scrutiny soon, too.

You guys act like Alabama just started getting good players! They are playing for the title this year and maybe, just maybe these kids see this and want to be a part of something like what Alabama's done over the past 5 years.

As for him flipping from FSU; I believe he decommitted from them and a week later committed to Alabama. That is where his coaches thoughts came into play, not once he came to Alabama. Besides, it's not like FSU has done a whole lot to give kids reason for optimism.

Just like everyone with any fan base, you always assume you don't cheat and everyone else does. This is how it works. The difference is I can see that, and you guys are so blinded by your hatred of Alabama that you'll believe anything you can to make it look bad for us.

And yes, for the billionth time, I am fully aware I'm on an Auburn site, and no, I won't leave! :big:

Did it look suspicious when we temporarily flipped Calloway, flipped Westerman and then swung Blakely and added a Bama transfer?

Would it seem as bad if we hadn't lost Yeldon, or if we had successfully flipped a big player this year?

Yeldon stings. Could they have offered him something? Of course. At the same time, we could have to. The bottom line is Bama's last two RBs have ended up in NY and they're playing for their 2nd title in three years. As for Taylor, would you want to play guard at FSU or NG at Bama?

Last year we were accused of paying Cam. We were accused of recruiting improprieties with Calloway, Cyrus, Westerman, Reed and Robinson. How much of that ended up with any substance?

Did it look suspicious when we temporarily flipped Calloway, flipped Westerman and then swung Blakely and added a Bama transfer?

Would it seem as bad if we hadn't lost Yeldon, or if we had successfully flipped a big player this year?

Yeldon stings. Could they have offered him something? Of course. At the same time, we could have to. The bottom line is Bama's last two RBs have ended up in NY and they're playing for their 2nd title in three years. As for Taylor, would you want to play guard at FSU or NG at Bama?

Last year we were accused of paying Cam. We were accused of recruiting improprieties with Calloway, Cyrus, Westerman, Reed and Robinson. How much of that ended up with any substance?

Auburn was the national champion. And definitely could use a top rated player like Calloway. How did it seem suspicious that anyone would want to play for the Tigers, who were losing so many seniors ? Blakely is a different situation, as he always really wanted to come to Auburn, and the transfer ? If a kid isn't going to play at one school, why should he not transfer ?

Your attempt to play devil's advocate is pretty thin, and I don't see the point you're trying to make.

This, from the article... With Taylor having just competed Saturday in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game, it's more than a safe bet that's where the shenanigans began.

Curious , that soon after this All-Star game, two high profile players flip from their committed schools, and both end up at T'loser.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

"Where there's smoke there's fire"

Heard that before also...

The point is when it is us we rationalize. When it is Bama we attack. Yeldon has ample reason to choose Bama. Recent RB success, three consecutive 10 or more win seasons, their main guy is definitely gone. Taylor may have gotten reps at NG in the all-star practice and enjoyed it. There may be something but just because it seems suspicious doesn't mean it is and I'm not ready to play the role of the people we've mocked for a year over two players decommitting from a school and committing to a team in the BCS game who will certainly be top 10 next year with less turmoil than the other two schools involved.

Call m argument thin if you want, these two kids have just as much reason as the ones we dealt with.

• 2 weeks later...

"Where there's smoke there's fire"

Heard that before also...

The point is when it is us we rationalize. When it is Bama we attack. Yeldon has ample reason to choose Bama. Recent RB success, three consecutive 10 or more win seasons, their main guy is definitely gone. Taylor may have gotten reps at NG in the all-star practice and enjoyed it. There may be something but just because it seems suspicious doesn't mean it is and I'm not ready to play the role of the people we've mocked for a year over two players decommitting from a school and committing to a team in the BCS game who will certainly be top 10 next year with less turmoil than the other two schools involved.

Call m argument thin if you want, these two kids have just as much reason as the ones we dealt with.

I don't mind pointing out hypocracy when I see it. Haven't we all heard $abun state that "a commitment is a commitment?" If you don't think that two previously solid recruits suddenly out of the blue flip and commit to the turds is cause for questioning what's up then fine. Bury your head in the sand there and keep singing Don't Worry, Be Happy to yourself there Bobby McFerrin. Just don't expect the rest of to be singing along with you.

Archived