I don't think we have a legitimate shot at landing Benton or Randle

AUSportTalk

Bastrop coach Brad Bradshaw said DeAngelo Benton, a two-time LSU signee, is close to becoming academically qualified and expects him to sign with the Tigers again next week.

The LSU Tigers, that is.

Benton took a recruiting trip to Auburn this past weekend, a decision that didn’t sit well with his old coach.

“I think he might be listening to the wrong people,” Bradshaw said. “Not very smart in my opinion.”

Benton is a former teammate of Randle’s. The two starred in the receiving corps for Bastrop when the Rams won the Class 4A state title in 2006, Benton’s senior season.

He later played at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia. He continues trying to get his academics in order.

Bradshaw said Auburn’s name surfaced in Benton’s recruitment only a couple of weeks ago.

“I called Auburn and told them to leave him alone,” the coach said. “They obviously didn’t listen to me.”

We're facing some major resistance for Benton on the homefront. He may have in fact given us the nod over the weekend but I fear we're going to have a major difficulty keeping him int he fold between now and signign day unless we've got the kid cloistered somewhere without communication.

LSU folks saying he will take an unofficial to LSU this weekend. If so, we're out of it.

This was in a paper in Louisiana. It really doesn't look very promising for us. We shall see though.

I think it is good that high school coaches want to protect their players during the recruiting process and guide them, but it sounds like that coach is going way overboard, almost like he is making the decision for this young man.

I think it is good that high school coaches want to protect their players during the recruiting process and guide them, but it sounds like that coach is going way overboard, almost like he is making the decision for this young man.

Agreed, I don't understand the coach's perspective here other than he sounds like a huge LSU fan.  I think he needs to let his players make the best decisions for him.  His over concern makes me question his legitimacy at not trying to feed hometown kids into LSU. 

It is now being reported that LSU cannot get in contact with Benton and plenty are starting to believe that means he may actually be coming here.  LSPoo boards are going crazy right now.  A majority of them think we have stolen him, so who knows????

Imagine that, LSU is No. 1 in the country right now in recruiting commitments and they are all bent out of shape over 1 player.  I would be great if we could sign him to a LOI.

It is now being reported that LSU cannot get in contact with Benton and plenty are starting to believe that means he may actually be coming here.  LSPoo boards are going crazy right now.  A majority of them think we have stolen him, so who knows????

Interesting.  You don't typically hear that a coach can't get in contact anymore. Hope this is a good sign and not someone just dialing the wrong nmber  :)

I honestly never thought we stood much of a chance of signing either one of them. I'm still not sure we'll get that LB from Atlanta who decommitted from us then committed to them a short time later. Now he's giving us a 2nd and 3rd look.

Archived