Football Gameday Rituals and/or weekly Superstitions.... spill it!!!!

TrentonTiger

C'mon Tigers!!!

Tell your gameday or weekly rituals!

Dirty socks, underwear, special hats, Saturday morning timelines, breakfast/lunch/dinners, jerseys, gameday slogans... anything you have to do or will not do on gameday, list it right here!!!!

Chime in... I am going to list mine later today... 

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!

:believe:

I have several, but I'll relate one.  I have an Auburn coffee cup that I use throughout the week.  On Saturday I can use this cup as well; however, if I feel that I am using it superstitiously in an effort to help Auburn win I have to use a different cup or else it will be a bad week for Auburn football. 

Kind of a reverse psychology superstition.

I have several, but I'll relate one.  I have an Auburn coffee cup that I use throughout the week.  On Saturday I can use this cup as well; however, if I feel that I am using it superstitiously in an effort to help Auburn win I have to use a different cup or else it will be a bad week for Auburn football. 

That is kind of wierd and funny at the same time.

I have an underarmour shirt I wear only 12-14 times a year.  I did buy a newone but am waiting for Auburn to lsoe a game before switching it out.  I dont want to switch before we lose or it may be my fault.

I refuse to watch games with my in-laws for two reasons.  1. They are my in-laws.  2. Auburn is 0-2 when I watch games with them.  We lost to Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl and then lost to Arkansas in 2006.  And I told them that I would not watch anymroe games with them and gave them reason #2.

That is kind of wierd and funny at the same time.

I think I have a lot of reverse psychology superstitions.  I am a Colorado Avs fan, and as I was moving from Denver back to Alabama the Avs were playing in the Stanley Cup finals and won.  Maybe that is where it stems from.  At the same time though, I lived in Denver when the Broncos won the last two Superbowls.

Always get too wound up to enjoy the game.. Never fails. My wife and 3 daughters (all Aubies) can't hardly be in the same room and see me torture myself like that. I don't break stuff anymore, but Van Tiffin did make me break my hand back in the 80s when I was 'young and dumb.'

I refuse to wear blue on gamedays.  We have lost all 4 times.  Even against Tennessee and Clemson a couple years ago, I still wear orange. 

Always get too wound up to enjoy the game.. Never fails. My wife and 3 daughters (all Aubies) can't hardly be in the same room and see me torture myself like that. I don't break stuff anymore, but Van Tiffin did make me break my hand back in the 80s when I was 'young and dumb.'

Yeah.  I get too wound up and scatter-brained to think about superstitions on game morning.  But I did have a hat that I wore throughout the '04 season that I tried to bring back last year.  That one didn't work out too well and I ditched it again as soon as we lost that first one last year.  Turned out to be a curse, I guess.  I have a new Under-armour shirt for this season that I wear for home games.  When the time comes that we lose I will have to make a decision on whether to wear it again or not.  I may switch to another one for a game or so just to see how it goes.  Overall, I guess I am just not overly superstitious as I like to think I am.  HA!

It's odd, but mine change from game to game.  Back in Bowden's first season I was at the Florida game there in Auburn.  I found that when I leaned on my umbrella a certain way, we did better.  My friend said that if he looked back towards the car, (we were parked in the Telfair Peet (AU Theatre) parking lot) Auburn stopped Florida.  I've had games where I thought that they were doing much better when I wasn't watching so I turned the game off.  I've also had games where I thought the opposite was true.  This year, I've been late in turning the game on everytime and we've been winning.  So I'm not going to watch the opening kick off for any game for the rest of the season.

Oh yeah...WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

:wedance:

The night of the west virginia game I was wearing a crimsonish colored abercrombie shirt watching the game. WVU went up two touchdowns within the blink of an eye. I changed shirts to a blue and orange shirt I have and Auburn came back to win the game.

I haven't washed that shirt yet, and have worn it every game day since....

sad but true

Ok, here is what i go through during the Week, Saturday, and then on Sunday all season long... until something happens that will force we to go another route.

Starting on Monday I play this Running back challenge game and I have created profiles for Tate, Omac, Fannin, and Smith... you have a gauntlet that you must complete flawlessly first and then you get as many possessions possible to score td's and all of this within 90 seconds... I play Fannin on Monday and then Omac and Tate on Thursdays. Smith will be my dark horse player that I will use if something were to happen and we lose a game. Then i will put him in the Monday rotation with Fannin. According to how well i score with them is mentally how i feel we are going to do on Saturday... like it really matters right??? but still if i ever mess up and score low then i am a ball of nerves Friday night thru Saturday... So far i guess i have been scoring high enough! LOL

I have a shirt and Jersey that i have to wear on game day but i cant wear them after kickoff. i have to change shirts... haha

We have lost games in the past when i have kept either on. Even tried to wear the jersey last year to the Ark game and see what good that did... See what i mean...

On Sunday i have to wear this one pair of Auburn boxers and socks because i have done that since the first game of the season so i can't mess up the cycle.

This is crazy stuff but still you have to think like you are actually in control of whats going to happen if you mess up something in your rhythm throughout the week and on gameday.

I am having a blast reading all of these... this is good stuff.

Mine is to go to work... grab a home depot radio... hide out in the garden center and listen to the games when I cant go have to work.

If not... watch all of college game day, and drink as much beer as possible.

not very superstitious but hey, we are 5-0

I only really have one superstition, and I'm not even sure it should be called that, but I think I've told my story from the Interception Game in 94 on here...and since that game, I simply believe. That's it. I never give up on my Tigers. Even when we lose. Even when we go 3-8. Even when we have all the talent in the world, are picked to win it all, and fall flat on our face to USC AND Georgia Tech. Even when the coaching staff implodes and rips the team apart.

No matter what, I'm an Auburn Tiger. No matter what, I believe. My signature is what it is for a reason.

Love the reverse superstitions, btw.  :thumbsup:

I guess I am a little rediculous when it comes to gameday rituals.

I set my rituals based on the first game of the season and if we keep winning then I don't change anything.

I get up in the morning, put on the same shirt (blue graphic Auburn shirt) and shorts (orange) and head out to get breakfast for the family.  On the way I listen to "Eye of the Tiger" the majority of the time with one play of "I've gotta feelng" / Blackeyed Peas because I forgot to hit repeat on my IPOD the first week.  As of right now I order the same thing for breakfast each satuday, not only for myself but for the family as well.

My insanity has bleed over to my wife as she has been wearing the same clothes every saturday as well and dresses our daughter up the same too.

There are probably some additional ones that I am leaving off that I do, but just haven't noticied it yet.

So I won't be changing anything until that first loss comes, if it does.

WAR EAGLE!!

I dont really have any rituals beside grilling and drinking.

As far as superstitions- I dont wear some of my AU shirts that I wore last year for games that we lost.

I wore a blue 23 jersey until last year, we lost i quit wearing it, bought a white 44 we lost i quit wearing it.....this season the wife and I decided to wear the white ones for the first game and we won(hers white 18)

When we started against WVU we were wearing the blue, we started losing i changed, made her change and we put the whites back on and won!!! so all day i wear blue and then go back to the white before kick off!!! My wife makes it a point to wear panties that have orange and or blue on them... I put my best friends picture(who past away and was a huge auburn fan) in front of the tv so he can watch the game too and oh yeah drink lots of beer get so worked up its hard to enjoy the game(unless i'm with alot of people, at the game, or tailgating) then i'm preoccupied with everyone else and don't get so crazy!!! It's crazy what we do, i hope the team keeps DWWD and we keep winning!!! to everyone WDE and Lets go sizzle some bacon

My rituals start on thrusday and bleed over to saturday. I wear an AU sideline shirt on thrusday night to work each week. and then friday the same Underarmour AU shirt with blue jeans and a white pair of shox. With AU socks on. Saturday morning i wake up and turn the TV on CGD and let it run don't really listen to it but i did this the First saturday so i have to all the time now. Then when game time starts i have a hat that i wear during all games. Once we lose i will change it up some but for now this is my cross to bear.

WDE

:believe:

This is a rather strange ritual that worked best when I watched games at home, but I bought a #17 orange jersey the year Auburn went undefeated and wore it every game. Next year, I seemed to see a trend that everytime I wore it they would win. Then one game in particular, Georgia,  it was a shoot out  (the Dawgs had Shockley), I did not wear the jersey until Auburn's last drive and on 4 and 10 or 15, Cox through a dart over the middle to (Aromadshadu) and after a fumble/field goal we won the game. I retired the jersey the year after immediately following the LSU game where they missed 5 field goals.

You guys do know that none of this helps Auburn win on Saturdays - I think that is getting lost in this thread

Barney, SHHHH!!!!! Don't tell them that.  If they think these things help then they are doing their part to help our Tigers win.  I have outgrown all of my superstitions regarding football.  Now when my daughter is pitching for her college softball team, that is totally different.  I have a routine that I have to do to help her.     

Archived