Should Lebo go? Yes or No?

Ronald McDonald

Should he go? Yay or Nay?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should he go? Yay or Nay?

• Yes
    • No

I have always been a proponent for him.  I said give him time he will succeed.  I really thought we turned the corner last year.   You can't blame bad shooting on him and we shot bad the first half.  Partly due to KY also.  I really did think this year was going to be his coming out.  But, he can't get a big man and I haven't see 40 minutes of basketball yet and that goes back to him and the staff.  Sooooo...I think it is time.  Now, today.    

I have always been a proponent for him.  I said give him time he will succeed.  I really thought we turned the corner last year.   You can't blame bad shooting on him and we shot bad the first half.  Partly due to KY also.  I really did think this year was going to be his coming out.  But, he can't get a big man and I haven't see 40 minutes of basketball yet and that goes back to him and the staff.  Sooooo...I think it is time.  Now, today.    

I totally agree.  I was a big proponent for Lebo up until last year when we were obviously not doing well.  Then he pulled out a great ending, but of course we came up short.  I thought ok, if he can build on that success this year, he has turned the corner.  I think this year it is more of the same.  Losing to some of the early cupcake teams was inexcusable.  Even if we make a late run, it's just more of the same old thing.  He has to go.  Get a good coach who can recruit the talent we need to win, and can actually coach that talent. 

:wedance:

YES he needs to go before AU plays their next game in my opinion.  He has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he cannot get the job done and we aren't going to go anywhere as a program with him at the helm.  The problem already this year is that if by some miracle Auburn goes on a tear and wins 9 out of every 10 games left on the schedule, unless they win the SEC tourney they wont make the NCAA tourney.  Auburn has lost to too many cupcakes already to get any consideration.  Its what happened last year already and that was a better team than this year.  It really doesnt matter what AU's record is anyway as there is slim to none chance they are going to repeat the late season run of last year.  You can go ahead and write off this season as far as building a tourney worthy resume and hope and pray that they get favorable match ups in the SEC tourney and pull out a miracle run in it to get an automatic berth in the big dance.  Geez this SUCKS.  I hate ever having to call for a coaches firing but my patience wore out after his 2nd year at Auburn and by year 3 I was pretty much set in the idea that he wasnt the man for the job.  All the player defections pretty much sealed it and told me all I needed to know.  Lebo has destroyed every little bit of what Ellis built here.  I say BRING BACK CLIFF ELLIS!!!

Bring this back?  :timeout:

Download full size image Auburn Basketball Coach Cliff Ellis Fired

Posted on: Thursday, 18 March 2004, 06:00 EST

AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn coach Cliff Ellis was fired Thursday after 10 up-and-down seasons with the Tigers, who were shut out of postseason play for the second time in three years.

Ellis is the second-winningest coach in Auburn basketball history. He was with his team longer than any other current coach in the Southeastern Conference.

"I am aware of the many accomplishments of coach Ellis in his tenure here," said Auburn interim president Ed Richardson, who met briefly with the coach. "I appreciate what he has done with the program. It is simply time for a change."

Ellis had five years remaining on his contract after it was automatically extended by two years for last season's tournament run. Under his contract, Auburn owes him $750,000.

Ellis pointed to his achievements - teams that "put us near the top of the SEC in terms of games won and trips to the NCAA tournament. That is why this decision by the Auburn administration is so disappointing."

The dismissal came two days after Auburn athletic director David Housel said he would be stepping down in January 2005.

The coach had sent Richardson a letter outlining his plans to improve the program and reasons why he should be allowed to stay. But Richardson clearly had made up his mind to seek another coach before meeting with him Thursday.

Ellis had an uneven stay at Auburn that was marked by an SEC title, a losing record in league games and an NCAA investigation. His dismissal follows a year in which Auburn failed to make the postseason after advancing to the NCAA tournament's round of 16.

The Tigers fell to 14-14 and 5-11 in the league after being picked to finish second in the SEC Western Division.

In February, Auburn appeared before the NCAA over alleged recruiting violations, though Ellis was not named in the accusations.

Ellis had a 186-125 record in 10 seasons. He led the Tigers to a 29-4 record and the SEC title in 1999, their first in 40 years. He is 612-349 in 32 seasons as a head coach, coming to Auburn after 10 years at Clemson.

A poor season and NCAA troubles weren't the only issues facing Ellis.

He lost only one key player - center Kyle Davis - but four starters and three reserves will be seniors next season thanks largely to a heavy reliance on junior college transfers the past two seasons.

If the NCAA imposes scholarship sanctions, Auburn's depth could suffer even more.

More News in this Category

Archived