2010 Team Breakdown

jcm81

Both our lines will have a ton of experience and a chance to be very good on both sides with 2 senior DTs and Fairley as a junior, 2 senior DEs, 4 senior OL with Gayden probably stepping. This is where games are won. Ton of talent and leadership returning at WR and in the secondary. These units will be big strengths, especially with the return of Savage, McNeil, and Etheridge in the secondary. LB will be better than last year - good players and leadership that now won't have to play special teams and every defensive snap. Running back by committee has the potential to outperform last year even though Tate has to be replaced (See offensive line and second year in system). Quarterback will be tough to replace, but we will have the advantage of good running game and experienced OL and WR. Reminds me of B. Cox 2005. That was statistically his best year passing because of the talent and experience at WR and OL. Overall, I think that all 3 phases of the game will improve, and we have a great home schedule set up for us.

Rating the units from top to bottom is hard, but I will give it a shot based on skill, depth, experience, and leadership.

DB (Talented, deep, experienced. 4 SRs, with Bates and Thorpe in rotation. Bell, Hoode, and Cole much improved)

DL (Legitimate 8-9 man rotation with 4 SRs in the rotation)

WR (DA and TZ are proven, but also unlimited potential in the young guys. Some of the young talent WILL step up to take away the double teams.)

RB (Replacing Tate, but will have speed and power to work with. With DA, MF, and OM, how many carries will Dyer get?)

OL (Starters will be great, not much depth. Will be a huge team strength if they stay healthy.)

LB (Same explanation as OL)

QB (This is listed at the bottom, but I feel that production could be better than last year with the supporting cast. Whoever wins the job should be serviceable at worst, and not lose the game. He will need to avoid mistakes and hit a few long balls. Should not be a problem with the returning WRs. I have faith Gus will make this work out just fine. QB will not be a weakness.)

9-3 regular season is most probable. I could easily see 10 wins. If, and only if, we stay away from the injury bug and get some breaks in the big games, 11 wins is a possibility. Ton of leadership to go along with a favorable home schedule could make a memorable year.

Both our lines will have a ton of experience and a chance to be very good on both sides with 2 senior DTs and Fairley as a junior, 2 senior DEs, 4 senior OL with Gayden probably stepping.  This is where games are won.  Ton of talent and leadership returning at WR and in the secondary.  These units will be big strengths, especially with the return of Savage, McNeil, and Etheridge in the secondary.  LB will be better than last year - good players and leadership that now won't have to play special teams and every defensive snap.  Running back by committee has the potential to outperform last year even though Tate has to be replaced (See offensive line and second year in system).  Quarterback will be tough to replace, but we will have the advantage of good running game and experienced OL and WR.  Reminds me of B. Cox 2005.  That was statistically his best year passing because of the talent and experience at WR and OL.  Overall, I think that all 3 phases of the game will improve, and we have a great home schedule set up for us.

Rating the units from top to bottom is hard, but I will give it a shot based on skill, depth, experience, and leadership.

DB (Talented, deep, experienced.  4 SRs, with Bates and Thorpe in rotation. Bell, Hoode, and Cole much improved)

With the return of McNeil and Savage, the secondary could be very good in 2010. If we get Etheridge back...look out.

I'm hoping either Carter or Goggins will really step up. I love Fairley and if he can be more consistent on every down, he has All-SEC potential. Whitaker and Bonomolo could be the extra punch the DL will need to be dangerous.

WR (DA and TZ are proven, but also unlimited potential in the young guys.  Some of the young talent WILL step up to take away the double teams.)

This should be a team strength in 2010. The only concern I have here is that your group of receivers are only as good as the quarterback getting them the football.

RB  (Replacing Tate, but will have speed and power to work with.  With DA, MF, and OM, how many carries will Dyer get?)

I believe Tate could be the most difficult player to replace on the team other than Coleman at DE. I do have faith in the returning backs but only time will tell just how good they will be. I do believe Dyer is the real deal but never like counting on a true freshman to make things click on offense.

OL (Starters will be great, not much depth. Will be a huge team strength if they stay healthy.)

This could be the best OL we have fielded over the past 20 years. Staying healthy will be the key. The OL is the reason why I believe we will continue to improve on offense, making the transition with a new QB and RB a tad easier. I believe we need to play the majority of the OL signed in 2010, just to establish depth and get them prepared for 2011.

LB  (Same explanation as OL)

Thank goodness we have depth coming in. Much like the 2010 OL class, we need the play sveral of the 2010 LB class this season for the same reason I stated regarding the OL. Our 3 starters will be very good and they finally will have some relief in 2010. The 2010 LB recruits could see extensive action on special teams too.

QB  (This is listed at the bottom, but I feel that production could be better than last year with the supporting cast. Whoever wins the job should be serviceable at worst, and not lose the game. He will need to avoid mistakes and hit a few long balls.  Should not be a problem with the returning WRs.  I have faith Gus will make this work out just fine. QB will not be a weakness.)

I realize the starter has yet to be named but unless he's a complete bust, I expect Newton to be named the starter at the conclusion of the Spring. If he doesn't start, I still feel good about our other QB's simply because of what Malzahn accomplished with Todd in 2009. If Newton starts, we could see more impact from the QB position that has never been seen at Auburn.

9-3 regular season is most probable.  I could easily see 10 wins.  If, and only if, we stay away from the injury bug and get some breaks in the big games, 11 wins is a possibility.  Ton of leadership to go along with a favorable home schedule could make a memorable year.

I agree with your 9-3. History indicates there is almost always improvement from year #1 to #2. We were a few plays away from winning 10-11 games in 2009. I actually believe we will be 9-1 going into the UGA game.

I think this team should be better next year. Also since Tate and Todd will be gone on offense we will need a leader to step up.  Should Newton win the job and I think he will, he will have to be the leader. Owning up to his mistakes and learning from them is a good qualification.  The running game should be fine too especially with this experienced offensive line.  

Special Teams should improve especially and some younger players can help out with those and we won't have to rely on walk ons.  

Defense should get better, pass rushing should improve. I can see this being a fast defense.

Last year at times it felt like the WR weren't getting open for Todd.  I think the WR corps this year is great, but they will need to find the openings.  Having a wr group that is constantly looking makes a qb job so much easier and more efficient.  There is no doubt more experience and depth, but IMO there will be a 9-3/10-2 record.

DB's - I don't see a clear successor to McFadden, but we should have numbers in the secondary so there may be an overall uptick in play.  Safety will get a real boost with McNeil and hopefully Etheridge coming back.  Bell gives us reason to hope he will be a good backup, but Cole and Slade haven't shown much.  (Resist the urge to be optimistic about players who haven't produced yet).

QB - If its a fair competition I have no doubt this position will be a strength... whoever emerges.

WR - I'm hoping somebody will emerge and make Darvin the number 2 guy.  He would be an unstoppable number 2.  Just the fact that a new QB might be willing to throw to some different guys should help some of the younger WR's emerge.  Here's to hoping Benton finally breaks out and our 3rd receiver isn't just a blocker.  Maybe Kodi can be reborn as a solid possession receiver.  If Stallworth is healthy I expect we'll be hearing his name a lot more during games.

D Line -  Hmmmm... we'll have numbers, but not sure we'll be better.  IF Whitaker is a manchild and busts out as a Freshmen, and IF Bonomolo produces at Auburn like he did in Juco, and IF Fairley becomes consistently productive, and IF Nosa is as good as we were led to believe, and IF AC steps his game up slightly then D Line will be better.  That's a lot of if's.  I'm wondering what sort of player Derrick Lykes is.  He is Tubberville's last shot at an under the radar success story.

O Line - No question, if these guys are healthy we will be a feared offense.

RB - Should be the same.  Ben Tate was great for us, but I didn't have that high an opinion of him until Looper and Malzhan got ahold of him.  And Fannin has always intrigued me as a running back (I hate him returning kicks).  I just think between Fannin, Smith, Aycock and Dyer we'l find someone to do the job.

LB - Who knows.  Our starters will be solid, but all of our depth will be 1st and 2nd year players.  Plenty of bodies, but tons of inexperience.  An injury to the starters will still be challenging.

Special Teams - It should be a lot better, and that should make both offense and defense look better.  Lots of hidden yards for us to claim here.

Both our lines will have a ton of experience and a chance to be very good on both sides with 2 senior DTs and Fairley as a junior, 2 senior DEs, 4 senior OL with Gayden probably stepping.  This is where games are won.  Ton of talent and leadership returning at WR and in the secondary.  These units will be big strengths, especially with the return of Savage, McNeil, and Etheridge in the secondary.  LB will be better than last year - good players and leadership that now won't have to play special teams and every defensive snap.  Running back by committee has the potential to outperform last year even though Tate has to be replaced (See offensive line and second year in system).  Quarterback will be tough to replace, but we will have the advantage of good running game and experienced OL and WR.  Reminds me of B. Cox 2005.  That was statistically his best year passing because of the talent and experience at WR and OL.  Overall, I think that all 3 phases of the game will improve, and we have a great home schedule set up for us.

DB (Talented, deep, experienced.  4 SRs, with Bates and Thorpe in rotation. Bell, Hoode, and Cole much improved)

With the return of McNeil and Savage, the secondary could be very good in 2010. If we get Etheridge back...look out.

I'm hoping either Carter or Goggins will really step up. I love Fairley and if he can be more consistent on every down, he has All-SEC potential. Whitaker and Bonomolo could be the extra punch the DL will need to be dangerous.

WR (DA and TZ are proven, but also unlimited potential in the young guys.  Some of the young talent WILL step up to take away the double teams.)

This should be a team strength in 2010. The only concern I have here is that your group of receivers are only as good as the quarterback getting them the football.

RB  (Replacing Tate, but will have speed and power to work with.  With DA, MF, and OM, how many carries will Dyer get?)

I believe Tate could be the most difficult player to replace on the team other than Coleman at DE. I do have faith in the returning backs but only time will tell just how good they will be. I do believe Dyer is the real deal but never like counting on a true freshman to make things click on offense.

This could be the best OL we have fielded over the past 20 years. Staying healthy will be the key. The OL is the reason why I believe we will continue to improve on offense, making the transition with a new QB and RB a tad easier. I believe we need to play the majority of the OL signed in 2010, just to establish depth and get them prepared for 2011.

LB  (Same explanation as OL)

Thank goodness we have depth coming in. Much like the 2010 OL class, we need the play sveral of the 2010 LB class this season for the same reason I stated regarding the OL. Our 3 starters will be very good and they finally will have some relief in 2010. The 2010 LB recruits could see extensive action on special teams too.

QB  (This is listed at the bottom, but I feel that production could be better than last year with the supporting cast. Whoever wins the job should be serviceable at worst, and not lose the game. He will need to avoid mistakes and hit a few long balls.  Should not be a problem with the returning WRs.  I have faith Gus will make this work out just fine. QB will not be a weakness.)

I realize the starter has yet to be named but unless he's a complete bust, I expect Newton to be named the starter at the conclusion of the Spring. If he doesn't start, I still feel good about our other QB's simply because of what Malzahn accomplished with Todd in 2009. If Newton starts, we could see more impact from the QB position that has never been seen at Auburn.

9-3 regular season is most probable.  I could easily see 10 wins.  If, and only if, we stay away from the injury bug and get some breaks in the big games, 11 wins is a possibility.  Ton of leadership to go along with a favorable home schedule could make a memorable year.

I agree with your 9-3. History indicates there is almost always improvement from year #1 to #2. We were a few plays away from winning 10-11 games in 2009. I actually believe we will be 9-1 going into the UGA game.

so you're saying we start 9-1 then lose the last two? I can't see that happening, if we go 9-3 it is not because we started 9-1

so you're saying we start 9-1 then lose the last two? I can't see that happening, if we go 9-3 it is not because we started 9-1

No... I said I agree with the initial poster predicting a probable 9-3 record and I added, I believe we will be 9-1 going into the UGA game.

I'll agree with that assesment. I'm more worried about our DBs than most seem to be just because we are so thin a cornerback. We have Washington, Thorpe, Bell, and Hood and freshmen coming in. Only two of those have proved they can play against SEC competition. Bell gives me hope he'll be solid from the bowl game, Hood not so much from that same game. I think we'll be good a safety with everyone coming back. But gotta have good corners to have a good defense...hope one of the youngins step up.

Archived