Welcome to the Newest Auburn Eagle Message Board Addition

AUSportTalk

Well since this is the BEST Free Auburn sports site on the net, I guess we could add a pro sports section for all of you pro sports junkies!! Now get to posting!!

Does anyone here know why the Pitt. Steelers only have a decal on one side of their helmets? I have been wondering this for years. War Eagle!

Does anyone here know why the Pitt. Steelers only have a decal on one side of their helmets? I have been wondering this for years. War Eagle!

Steeler fan here

The Steelers are the only NFL Team that sports their logo on only one side of the helmet. At first, this was a temporary measure because the Steelers weren't sure they would like the look of the logo on an all-gold helmet. They wanted to test them before going all-out.

Equipment manager Jack Hart was instructed to put the logo only on one side of the helmet - the right side. The 1962 Steelers finished 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to date. The team finished second in the Eastern Conference and qualified for the Playoff Bowl. They wanted to do something special for their first postseason game, so they changed the color of their helmets from gold to black, which helped to highlight the new logo.

Because of the interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets and because of their team's new success, the Steelers decided to leave it that way permanently.

Today's helmet reflects the way the logo was originally applied and it has never been changed. 

Steeler fan here

The Steelers are the only NFL Team that sports their logo on only one side of the helmet. At first, this was a temporary measure because the Steelers weren't sure they would like the look of the logo on an all-gold helmet. They wanted to test them before going all-out.

Equipment manager Jack Hart was instructed to put the logo only on one side of the helmet - the right side. The 1962 Steelers finished 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to date. The team finished second in the Eastern Conference and qualified for the Playoff Bowl. They wanted to do something special for their first postseason game, so they changed the color of their helmets from gold to black, which helped to highlight the new logo.

Because of the interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets and because of their team's new success, the Steelers decided to leave it that way permanently.

Today's helmet reflects the way the logo was originally applied and it has never been changed. 

Thanks Golf! War Eagle!

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the new members and their excitement.  But, although this is a FREE site, it still needs a little money now and then.  Tonight, new guys, give a small donation to ST and the other AE founders.  No donation is too small;  we need to keep this thing going.  As everyone knows, the best Auburn Sports info , free or not, is right here.  Please, everyone, help AE out!! Go to the donation thread by ST for how to donate.

Archived