South Carolina's Bringing Their Ace Tomorrow

Not to worry!  The team has got their loss out of the way.  We can beat SC then we finish strong. :wareagle: :wareagle:

Well that raises the question... do we throw Grant or Cole?  If I'm thinking right, if we win this game we would play the loser of the Turd/Ole Miss game? 

Yep. I say bring our ace to the field. I mean if we lose we're out. Plus thats just more time for him to rest up for the ncaa tournament

I wonder why they didnt start him today to stay in the winners bracket?

Same reason we didn't. Thought we'd cakewalk and have the ace for tomorrow. This is not the first time (or 10th time) I've seen that line of thinking fail.

We HAVE to throw Grant tomorrow. We can't take our best pitcher home without putting him on the mound.. that would be absolute stupidity.

100% with you there. I really don't think it hurt us not pitching him today. We aren't going to win scoring one run no matter who our pitcher is or who the opponent is.

Not pitching your ace the first game is not smart. You have to put everything into the first game to get off on the right foot or you end up playing catch-up in the losers bracket.

Luckie did a good job, it was the bull pen that let him down.  We can't leave anything behind we have to throw our best today and let tomorrow take care of itself. 

Good news and bad news

The 4 best SEC pitchers are in our bracket and they don't play for us. The tournament is held in a pitcher-friendly park.  In baseball, good pitching usually beats good hitting, as we saw yesterday.

If we beat one good pitcher, our offense will thrive against second tier pitchers. If we can beat Pomerantz, we can beat anyone unless they are having a career day.

SC sandbagged game 1. Let's knock them out of the tourney and turn the offense loose. WDE!

I agree, when i was watching the SC v UM game, I could tell that SC was trying to cheat their way into the winners bracket by throwing their 3rd best starter. I also bet when they came up with their lineup they didn't think they'd be facing us in the losers bracket.

We HAVE to throw Grant tomorrow. We can't take our best pitcher home without putting him on the mound.. that would be absolute stupidity.

100% with you there. I really don't think it hurt us not pitching him today. We aren't going to win scoring one run no matter who our pitcher is or who the opponent is.

I agree. Had it been my call, I would have pitched Grant (our Ace) to try to do everything we can to stay in the winners' bracket. Very few teams, if any, have the pitching staff to come out of the loser's bracket and win it, particularly if it ends up being against the Turds and we have to face their ace again.  All that said, had we pitched Grant yesterday, as pointed out here, we are not going to win many games when we only score one run. Hopefully be can get after SC today and keep playing. I was shocked at how automatic Arky thinks them getting a regional is. I dont' know what their RPI is, perhaps that is it. I do hope we can land one.

Archived