Tonights Pitching Matchup For the Regional Championship

Tonight's starting pitching matchup is set: Fr. RHP Scott Firth (2-1,

3.16) vs. So. RHP Jon Luke Jacobs (0-2, 6.06)

Uh, this matchup doesn't look good on paper.  Haven't followed the season closely, but why a guy who hasn't won a game and a high ERA?  Is he all we got left?

Uh, this matchup doesn't look good on paper.  Haven't followed the season closely, but why a guy who hasn't won a game and a high ERA?  Is he all we got left?

All we have left is exactly it. We have no pitchers left. I think Coach Paw will start with Jacobs and go to Johnny Wholestaff if he runs into problems early.

Yesterday, Vanderbilt started a kid who hadn't started a game all year, appeared briefly in relief only; he went the distance against Louisville, shut them out on two hits...  Maybe we can get lucky, too!!!

All we have left is exactly it. We have no pitchers left. I think Coach Paw will start with Jacobs and go to Johnny Wholestaff if he runs into problems early.

Firth's wins were against Presbyterian and Furman.  He lost to Elon.  I don't think Clemson is in any better shape than we are with pitching at this point.  

Player              ERA  W-L APP GS CG SHO/CBO SV IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR  AB B/Avg  WP HBP BK SFA SHA

Scott Firth......  3.16  2-1    15   3   0   0/0    0  31.1  39  18  11  11  24   6   0   3  130  .300    0   3   1    1   2

Who all do we have left that can pitch tonight? Hubbard, Slade?

Neither will pitch tonight.  Hurst, Ray, Price, Blatt and possibly Hendricks and possibly Luckie

I wouldnt be surprised to see Luckie for a FEW innings but that'l probably be the only major pitcher that we'll probably see. No way Hubbard or Slade plays tonight

I don't know the players, obviously. Assuming no unusual arm issues, with two days rest I'd start Luckie and hope he could go the distance. If Luckie played out, I'd get to the 7th somehow and use Drayton to close, he's had one full day's rest.

It's clear Coach Paw sees it differently.

Hubbard, Slade, Hendrix, and Dayton are definitely out, and probably Nelson as well, though he really didn't throw that many pitches. Anyone else should be good to go, with the possible exception of Luckie. I have a feeling that if he was needed, he would go though. With Jacobs going first, I'd expect to see Price or Luckie if JL doesn't go very long, and if not, then a heavy dose of Hurst and Ray, with possible Kohlscheen and Blatt (hopefully not) sightings. Justin Bryant might be an option if all else goes to hell.

Bottom line is tonight will be pitching by comittee as every hand that can should be ready. Hopefully one of the early choices will be on tonight and fortunately we have the hitting to win a slugfest as it looks to be..

Archived