Fletcher may be coming back after all.

The MLB Draft is currently in the 15th rd. and Fletcher has yet to have his name called. I have to think if he falls into the 20th rd. or later, he won't be leaving. I thought Fletcher was a top 10-round draft pick for sure, but he has dropped big time. Have no idea why.

Yea, you have to think Fletch is pretty disappointed at this time. My guess would be that some combination of his defense and the hitting eye are keeping him out at this point. There's no doubt about the power and average abilities, but he really doesn't bring a lot to the table as a left fielder, and took an awful lot of called third strikes this year in key situations. Not knocking, just saying that those were flaws I saw as a potential scout. I'd imagine Patterson's fall is because he is really only a guy you send out there to hit for power against righties. He will have to knock that rep if he wants a shot at the big leagues. Doesn't help that he doesn't play defense.

Yea, you have to think Fletch is pretty disappointed at this time. My guess would be that some combination of his defense and the hitting eye are keeping him out at this point. There's no doubt about the power and average abilities, but he really doesn't bring a lot to the table as a left fielder, and took an awful lot of called third strikes this year in key situations. Not knocking, just saying that those were flaws I saw as a potential scout. I'd imagine Patterson's fall is because he is really only a guy you send out there to hit for power against righties. He will have to knock that rep if he wants a shot at the big leagues. Doesn't help that he doesn't play defense.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Patterson will get his shot at defense next year (assuming he comes back) at 1B. He has to make great strides in handling offspeed pitches. If he can show that he can hit something other than a fastball, he could be a top 5-round pick next year. His raw power is unbelievable. You pointed out Fletcher's flaws pretty well. We'll see what happens.

Fletcher just drafted by KC in the 18th

Does he stay or go?

Educated guess: He plays in a summer college league. If he has a great season the pros will up the ante and he goes. If he has a so-so season there will be little if any bonus money and he comes back.

Archived