Bryce Lane decides to go pro...

Bryce Lane has signed with the Astros.  He would have been a welcome addition to our team next year.

MASH: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/7046494.html

Not a surprise. I expect Andrew Morris to follow. Read in the Houston paper where Zach Cox of Arky was asking for a $6,000,000 dollar signing bonus.

That stinks.... I was hoping with him being drafted so late that he would come to Auburn and try and up his stock

We don`t usually know the family situation or bonus size and such. Wish him luck and sorry he will miss the AU experience.

That stinks.... I was hoping with him being drafted so late that he would come to Auburn and try and up his stock

We don`t usually know the family situation or bonus size and such. Wish him luck and sorry he will miss the AU experience.

True. Still woulda been nice to have em tho

The baseball draft is tricky. They sometimes lay off players that they think might go to college and draft them late, not wanting to risk wasting a high draft pick. Then they draft them lower, turn around and offer money comparable to a much higher pick.

Bryce Lane was one of our top signees, I was hoping he'd come to Auburn but his accomplishments in JUCO made that doubtful.

PS: Just found this quote from Bryce Lane:

" So I actually signed way out of slot. I actually got 15th round money. The money, like I said, wasn't an issue anyways. I wanted to go play. I'm not going to let money stop my dream."

So, drafted in the 41st round, he got 15th round money. For the entire interview check out Andy Bitter's blogspot: http://wareagleextra.blogspot.com/ Nice insight into a player's thinking about the situation.

Archived