Dominic Bozzelli Fires Final Round 64 To Win The Eastern Amateur

augolf1716

I continue to say our new Golf Coach has AU heading in the right direction. Keep your eyes on our golf team guys. Great win for Dom.

July 12, 2010

AUBURN - Auburn rising sophomore Dominic Bozzelli (15-under) fired a final round 64 to claim medalist honors at the 54th Annual Eastern Amateur, held Friday through Sunday at the Elizabeth Manor Golf and Country Club in Portsmouth, Va.

The Pittsford, N.Y., native entered the final round two strokes off the lead, surpassing Wake Forest's Evan Beck (11-under) and holding off Texas A&M's Case Cochran (11-under) for the win. Also competing at the Eastern Am were rising Auburn junior Will McCurdy, tied for 14th, and incoming freshman Daniel Stringfellow, tied for 44th.

"It was pretty nice shooting a 64 to win a tournament," said Bozzelli. "I spoke with Blayne (Barber), one of my Auburn teammates, the night before. He told me to go out Sunday and play my game and not worry about what anybody else was doing on the course. After I bogeyed the opening hole, I just tried to forget about it and play my game. Luckily everything fell into place and I came out with the win.

"This win will only help me heading into the fall. There is going to be a lot of competition for playing time, which can only push us to become better golfers and make us a better team."

Bozzelli remained two strokes off the lead through 15 before carding two birdies on the final three holes, stealing the victory.

"We are extremely proud of Dominic," said Auburn head coach Nick Clinard. "Redshirting his freshman year was very good for him. We have laid out a plan for him and he has really come to understand the big picture. He has made some big swing changes and is now at a point where the results are showing. It wasn't always easy. He had some tough days on the course but he is one of those guys that never gives up. He continued to battle through it and it is starting to show real results."

Barber, meanwhile, tied for fourth at the Players Amateur held Thursday through Sunday at the Belfair West Course in Bluffton, S.C. The Lake City, Fla., native finished at 1-under par.

Also in Bluffton, Auburn rising junior Kyle Kopsick tied for 34th.

Archived