Interesting Article on Dual Threat QBs in particular Newton and Pryor

AUTigergrad08

"The top two college football performers so far this season are Ohio State’s Terrelle Pryor and Auburn’s Cameron Newton, both considered dual-threat quarterbacks."

This statement is a joke.  I love Auburn and Cam and all, but they're both eclipsed easily by Denard Robinson.  I don't care what the competition has been, he amassed nearly 200 yards in 8 minutes before going out with a tweaked knee last weekend.  No one just does that and, while producing at a high level the rest of the year, can possibly be left out of a statement like that.

"The top two college football performers so far this season are Ohio State’s Terrelle Pryor and Auburn’s Cameron Newton, both considered dual-threat quarterbacks."

This statement is a joke.  I love Auburn and Cam and all, but they're both eclipsed easily by Denard Robinson.  I don't care what the competition has been, he amassed nearly 200 yards in 8 minutes before going out with a tweaked knee last weekend.  No one just does that and, while producing at a high level the rest of the year, can possibly be left out of a statement like that.

I do believe that this is an opinion, and he is entitled to it. Maybe you should respect his opinion and say "Oh, that is an intereting statement, although I would have put Denard Robinson's name in there." intead of saying "That statement is a joke!"

I do believe that this is an opinion, and he is entitled to it. Maybe you should respect his opinion and say "Oh, that is an intereting statement, although I would have put Denard Robinson's name in there." intead of saying "That statement is a joke!"

You're right, I could have put that better.  Let me try again. 

What I'm frustrated with is that the whole article comes off as if it was written by someone with a loose understanding of the current landscape of college football, by listing off stats that anyone can look up and a lot of cliches ("giving opposing defensive coordinators nightmares," for one) without a lot of real quality sports journalism.  Basically, what I'm saying is it sounds like the author has never actually seen these players play.  I could be totally wrong, but that's how it comes off.

It's great that Newton is getting his name out there, don't get me wrong, and Pryor is a good player is well.  It's jsut that any article that doesn't mention the player (that even fits the qualities the author is describing more than those who are) that I have yet to see a single person not mention at the top of their (way too early) Heisman list automatically loses it's credibility, in my opinion.

I honestly think you would be hard pressed to find someone that disagrees with this.  Once again, props to both Pryor and especially Newton for getting their hard work noticed.

You're right, I could have put that better.  Let me try again. 

What I'm frustrated with is that the whole article comes off as if it was written by someone with a loose understanding of the current landscape of college football, by listing off stats that anyone can look up and a lot of cliches ("giving opposing defensive coordinators nightmares," for one) without a lot of real quality sports journalism.  Basically, what I'm saying is it sounds like the author has never actually seen these players play.  I could be totally wrong, but that's how it comes off.

It's great that Newton is getting his name out there, don't get me wrong, and Pryor is a good player is well.  It's jsut that any article that doesn't mention the player (that even fits the qualities the author is describing more than those who are) that I have yet to see a single person not mention at the top of their (way too early) Heisman list automatically loses it's credibility, in my opinion.

I honestly think you would be hard pressed to find someone that disagrees with this.  Once again, props to both Pryor and especially Newton for getting their hard work noticed.

You passed with flying colors on the second try.  Nice post and I agree.

Denard Robinson isn't being mentioned bc he doesn't project to the NFL like Cam and Pryor, which is the point of that article. He's a heck of a college QB in that Rich.Rod system though.

Denard Robinson isn't being mentioned bc he doesn't project to the NFL like Cam and Pryor, which is the point of that article. He's a heck of a college QB in that Rich.Rod system though.

Yeah, right now Cam projects pretty horribly to the NFL.  He's doing a lot of things but proper footwork, and quick decision making are not among them.  He has the arm and the size to make it if he can correct those other things.  Personally, I'm okay with all this because it probably means he'll have to stay for his senior year.

I do see your point though and that in that regard Robinson should probably be left out.  He projects more as a WR/Harvin type player at the next level, with the ability for a gadget play every once in a blue moon.  However, the uses of the phrases along the lines of "hottest players around", "best players", etc. should be replaced with "best NFl prospects", "players with brightest professional futures," etc. if that was the entire point to the article.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Cam going to the NFL this year, even if hell froze over and he won the Heisman (which don't get me wrong, if he keeps on putting these numbers up and we have a GREAT season, he should be the race, but I think because he is here at Auburn it is a long shot...just being realistic).

I think talking about Cam going to the NFL after this season is quite ridiculous.  Being an amazing college player does not automatically make you a great NFL prospect by any means (especially at QB) and he has to prove he can throw the short passes with accuracy and do things like look of corners before NFL scouts will be chomping at the bit.

I believe there is no reason to think otherwise that he won't come back next year and THEN perhaps be a very high draft pick if he keeps improving.

Can we please stop Cam and NFL talk.

I agree. I love Cam and hope he's got his head on his shoulders and doesn't even think about leaving for the NFL after this year. But having said that, Cam's size and ability make him a great NFL prospect. but not yet. He has a lot of growing to do. By the end of next year, he very well could be that perfect ready to go NFL QB, but not yet. He still has a long way to go with Decision making, progression reads, Defensive reads. I believe he will grow all these things to perfection but not necessarily this year. Besides I want him to stick around for another year. I love watching this kid play.

I think people can appreciate that Cam is making noise in CFB right now. But people gotta quit comparing him to guys like Robinson and Pryor. Sure they are both great QB's but its how they project at the end of the season not right now.

I agree.

Can we please stop Cam and NFL talk.

As a fan, I think it is reasonable to discuss the NFL potential of a 6'6" 250 lb QB with an almost 70% completion % and a 3:1 TD:INT ratio that runs like a gazelle. I just hope for our sake that he keeps it up at this rate. The guy that wrote the article is obviously just basing it off of Pryor and Cam's ethnicity, measurables & NFL potential, but they are both producing for their respective teams right now at an unbelievable level.

Yeah, right now Cam projects pretty horribly to the NFL.  He's doing a lot of things but proper footwork, and quick decision making are not among them.  He has the arm and the size to make it if he can correct those other things.  Personally, I'm okay with all this because it probably means he'll have to stay for his senior year.

I do see your point though and that in that regard Robinson should probably be left out.  He projects more as a WR/Harvin type player at the next level, with the ability for a gadget play every once in a blue moon.  However, the uses of the phrases along the lines of "hottest players around", "best players", etc. should be replaced with "best NFl prospects", "players with brightest professional futures," etc. if that was the entire point to the article.

As of right now you are absolutely right, Cam still has a lot to prove before he can be considered a high level NFL prospect.  However, his problems are things that can be taught and learned, not physical shortcomings that nothing can be done about.  Cam has all the tools needed (big arm, athleticism, etc.) to eventually make it in the NFL, it's just a matter of how much he is able to learn and progress mentally over the next two years.

Cam can improve just like anyone else can improve.  No one plays the game perfectly.  Not even Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.  Although they can come close to it at times. 

But, I thought what was interesting in the article was in reference to the writer comparing Newton and Pryor to Mike Vick.  Vick was outstanding at VT.  Look what happened to him in the Falcons.  But, now at Philly, people are beginning to respect him now that he is starting. 

It's just interesting to see what can happen with a prospect like Cam or Newton. 

I do agree that his biggest thing to improve his accuracy on deep throws.  What has impressed me the most about Cam is how he's improved his decision making and his instincts have gotten better.  I noticed some major adjustments he made at halftime of the Clemson game where he stared off the safety.  If he can continue to do that and build his accuracy, then by all means he will be outstanding NFL QB prospect. 

Archived