Would Auburn get left out....

RkyMtnTIger

(might as well repost this here)

If this is the case, Auburn would almost certainly be ranked #1.  Let's look at the details.  We would have beaten: #1 UAT, #12 USCe, #15 Arky, #12 LSU + whoever we would play in the SEC Championship, most likely UF or USCe again (who would be ranked top 15).  There's no way that with the SEC winning 4 straight championships, an undefeated SEC champion gets locked out - particularly one that has beaten the reigning National Champions and 4 other top 15 teams.

There was some chatter in the media that the SEC champ might not make it to the National Championship preseason, but things are looking a little different now.  If an undefeated team comes out of the west and wins the SEC Championship, they go to the National Championship.  End of story.   :hellyeah:

For Auburn's sake, I hope we would play Florida in the SECCG. You don't get as much credit in the computer's for beating the same team twice (USCe). But as for your statement in general, Auburn beat pretty much that same lineup in 2004 and was left out for undefeated Pac10 and Big 12 teams. UTx2, UGA, LSU were all ranked highly

If the Tigers run the table from here then they will have

1. beaten a 1 loss Arky ranked 13 or higher

2. beaten a undefeated LSU ranked 9 or higher

3. beaten a undefeated uat ranked 1

4. beaten a 1 loss UF ranked 6 or higher if they do not lose again

All that adds up to a trip to the Championship game if not I give the %^%%$ up.

:wareagle: :wareagle:

LSU plays Florida this week. 

If the Tigers run the table from here then they will have

1. beaten a 1 loss Arky ranked 13 or higher

2. beaten a undefeated LSU ranked 9 or higher

3. beaten a undefeated uat ranked 1

4. beaten a 1 loss UF ranked 6 or higher if they do not lose again

All that adds up to a trip to the Championship game if not I give the %^%%$ up.

:wareagle: :wareagle:

Don't be surprised if LSU beats Florida.  Florida should win, but Brantley isn't good at all for Meyer's system.  And his confidence is shaken.  LSU's defense is about as good as Bama's.

I expect us to leapfrog Oregon before we even play Bama.  Beating Arkansas and LSU will get us to 3 or 4.  Ohio State, Michigan State, Oregon, and a Big 12 team all have shots at going undefeated.  I expect Michigan to beat one but not both of the first two.  Oregon will have to get past USCw, which may not happen.  Nebraska is about to face a pretty tough schedule.  OkState looks good this year.  Suffice all that to say that besides Boise and TCU, I don't expect to see too many other undefeated teams.

In no event do I see an undefeated SEC champ being left out.

Guest simonsez

Guys the main reason we havent been hearing about the possiblity of Auburn winning out from the media is because the way last year went.  We'll start hearing a lot about Auburn if/when we beat Arky and LSU.  They dont want to get on the Gus bus yet because they did last year and it blew up in their faces.

if Alabama is still undefeated and we beat them, there's no way we don't jump to #1 because everyone thinks Alabama is the best thing since sliced bread, media and coaches included.  Not to metion if we stop their running game, there's no way we don't get a bid.

Could an undefeated Boise State make it in before and undefeated BCS team? It just seems flat wrong to me that an undefeated non automatic qualifier could make it into the championship game before an undefeated automatic qualifier.

Auburn does not get the respect of other teams like Ohio St., Nebraska, etc.   If we were to win out, I could easily see the media clamoring for an Oregon/Ohio St. game  or a Nebraska/Ohio St. game.  

Take into consideration that the NE and Far West media are getting sick of trying to say that the SEC is not as great as their conferences when the SEC wins the National Championship every year.  Keep the SEC out of the game and you don't have to worry about it.  You can't keep the No. 1 team out of it if it's the reigning MNC, but you can argue to keep out a team with no respect like AU.

Has anyone forgotten that as recent as last week some sportswriters were keeping AU off their ballots for the Top 25?

:dunno:

If Undefeated Auburn beats undefeated Alabama, I think we will go to 2nd. Ohio State will not get jumped this year. Cam vs. Pryor, they could sell the hell out of that.

Given the number of ranked teams we would have beaten this season, I would have to believe that our 'strenght of schedule' would put us ahead of some of the other teams who are currently undefeated, but have not played anyone.  If Auburn goes undefeated we will have beaten South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama and Florida (assuming UF represents the East in the SEC Championship game).

No doubt we would play in the NC game. Our SoS and opponents are much tougher than they were in 2004 and pl;us we would be ranked in the top 5 going into the Bama game. Beat Bama and win the SEC and no way they could keep us out. Its teams like Oklahoma and Nebraska that have to worry about being left out at this point with their weak schedules.

The problem with us is consistency.  Bama, Penn St have all been left out too but they string multiple winning seasons together.  We'll put a good season together and then tank for 3 years. 

I don't think our history eflects that. We had one seniior class that won over fifty games under Tuberville. Penn State and Nebraska have been down longer than we have.

No doubt we would play in the NC game. Our SoS and opponents are much tougher than they were in 2004 and pl;us we would be ranked in the top 5 going into the Bama game. Beat Bama and win the SEC and no way they could keep us out. Its teams like Oklahoma and Nebraska that have to worry about being left out at this point with their weak schedules.

Idk we did play some tough tough teams in 2004. Clemson is the reason why you say this i'm guessing. But LSU, Tennessee, and Georgia were all Monsters that year. LSU was the defending National Champions, Tennessee is a ONE LOSS team if they dont lose to us twice that season(plus the loss to Notre dame they had was a fluke, so really almost undefeated if they dont play us), and Georgia was ranked in the top 10 when we played them.

I hate the BCS and the joke that it is anointing a so called national champion. A great example would be the MLB because it's season ended yesterday. 8 teams made the play-offs as follows...

(1)Tampa Bay 96-66...

(2)NY Yankees 95-67...

(3)Minnesota 94-68...

(4)Texas 90-72

(5)Philadelphia 97-65...

(6)San Fransico 92-70...

(7)Cincinnati 91-72...

(8)Atlanta 91-71...

You would immediately eliminate everyone but Tampa Bay, NY, Minnesota and Philadelphia...

Philadelphia would be in on opinion and quality, rightfully so based on best record, but here is the kicker and is exactly why the BCS is a joke. You could bet your bottom dollar the Yankees would play instead of Tampa Bay because THEY ARE THE YANKEES. Has nothing to do with the best team as picking only two eliminates fair chance. Say what you want, but this is what would happen once the voting influenced the final results and it would be just as much a joke as the 2004 Auburn Tigers being left out or either Auburn or Oregon being left out this year. I could not care less about the BCS, only the SEC championship where you actually have a fair chance to win it...

IF Ohio State goes undefeated then they are in.  IF Oregon goes undefeated, they are in.  Oklahoma won't be in if the other two go undefeated and Auburn would be snubbed as well.  It is just a fact.  One of these teams with one loss will be ahead of both TCU and Boise State with schedule included.

It will be "somebody" and Ohio State, if OSU remains undefeated. It's already being put out there. The media, and ESPN especially,wants Pryor and Ingram to face off.....just like the 2004 deal between the 2 Heisman candidates. Nobody thinks AU can beat Bama....except us. The conversation is about Bama and Ohio State just about everywhere I've seen today.

The Heisman race is early and from what I have been reading it seems Cam might be higher on the list...currently...then Pryor.  Bama talk will be over if Auburn wins the rest of their games.

IF Ohio State goes undefeated then they are in.  IF Oregon goes undefeated, they are in.  Oklahoma won't be in if the other two go undefeated and Auburn would be snubbed as well.  It is just a fact.  One of these teams with one loss will be ahead of both TCU and Boise State with schedule included.

You are assuming that we win out I guess, otherwise Bama would be there if they win out. If so, I agree with you. The talk would shift from "what Auburn has accomplished" to "the SEC is down this year, and OSU and Oregon are the top 2 teams in the country"

However, it's a stretch to think they'll be four major conference teams unbeaten (6 w/ BSU and TCU). If at the end of October all these teams are still unbeaten, then that's when it's time to really worry about it.

Archived