This Weekend

autigeremt

DC_Arlington_National_Cemetery_Soldiers-420x307.jpg

As we approach a very important day of the year where we pay respect to the fallen who have served our country so bravely please remember the "Reason for the Season", if you will. It's a time to celebrate the sacrifice so many have given in defense of our nation...one that isn't perfect in experiment, wrought with disappointment yet filled with brave souls willing to not only defend our way of life but also willing to advance an idea of freedom and democracy....even at our own peril.

They come from every walk of life and almost every demographic...like Private First Class Melissa Holbart (Ladson, S.C.) who died in Iraq on June 6th, 2004 (60th Anniversary of D-Day) or Lance Corporal Kane Funke (Kalispell, MT) who lost his life in Afghanistan (2004). It's about those who gave their all on the Delaware as Gen. Washington led his men on a brave, surprise attack against the British that helped to turn the tide in favor of a new Republic.....and the sailors and airmen whose lives ended way too early on a December morning in 1941. From the Mekong Delta to the shores of Tripoli and every sandy beach on Normandy.....the battlefield at Gettysburg or the frozen mountains of Korea this day, this time and this moment is about them.....the ones who spilled their blood in defense of an idea....a nation....a land they called home.

Between the beer and burgers...the steak and family gatherings or the beaches walked and the lakes late spring splash....please remember that this is their day. Their moment....their time.....a nations remembrance of that moment when the world stood still and a breath went silent so that we may be free to choose our own destiny. Godspeed my brothers and sisters. I am forever grateful and I stand a post...ready to defend what you have given so much for and what I believe to be the greatest nation on earth.

Please remember that some of the "fallen" haven't actually fallen yet. There is a group of Vietnam veterans who live on a small piece of land near me, here in Northwest Florida. They are broken, disillusioned men. However, they are still very patriotic even though they feel the country does not appreciate them, even though many of them have cancer and receive very little care from the VA. These men were very young when they went off to war. Many of them have had a very difficult time since returning. They are getting older and more frail every day. Please reach out to a Vietnam veteran this weekend if you have the opportunity.

qacdBiI.jpg

Awesome quote! Thanks for sharing.

Join me in contributing to Wounded Warriors.

:thumbsup:

Archived