Players changing position groups?

I realize that I am in Oregon and could miss some things, but.... Yeah... I just don't get it. I don't get why we take highly recruited guys that could go ANYWHERE, yet they come here and get their positions changed, then we wonder why they aren't producing. Andrew Williams for instance. That big boy could of gone anywhere but he chooses us, and rather than keep him on the end (where EVERYONE was recruiting him) we move him inside. I mean how well did Monty do as an end? Not so well. But move him back inside and he is a beast. And don't give me the small school stuff. Monty also went to a 1A school if I remember correctly.

Then what I REALLY don't understand is I just saw on the roster breakdown that Jeffrey Holland is now part of the DL. This decision absolutely blows my mind. I don't understand why we would take a high school All American LB from our weakest position group (LB) and move him to the deepest position group (DL.)

I want to understand, I just don't.

I realize that I am in Oregon and could miss some things, but.... Yeah... I just don't get it. I don't get why we take highly recruited guys that could go ANYWHERE, yet they come here and get their positions changed, then we wonder why they aren't producing. Andrew Williams for instance. That big boy could of gone anywhere but he chooses us, and rather than keep him on the end (where EVERYONE was recruiting him) we move him inside. I mean how well did Monty do as an end? Not so well. But move him back inside and he is a beast. And don't give me the small school stuff. Monty also went to a 1A school if I remember correctly.

Then what I REALLY don't understand is I just saw on the roster breakdown that Jeffrey Holland is now part of the DL. This decision absolutely blows my mind. I don't understand why we would take a high school All American LB from our weakest position group (LB) and move him to the deepest position group (DL.)

Holland has been moved to what Coach Hothead called the "Buck" position. It's sort of a rush DE/OLB hybrid. That's what he was sold on playing when he signed with us. As for Williams, check out his size. He's a DT all the way in a 4/3 defense. Those that should know say he's not quite fast enough for a college DE.

Just because Recruiting services said Holland was a LB and Williams was a Defensive End that doesn't mean Auburn or the other schools were not planning on playing then at a different position. Hooland is not playing pure DE he is playing Buck which is DE/LB type position most schools were recruiting him for that type position. As for Williams you answered your own question when you said that Big Boy. His size and speed make him a better DT then a DE.

Archived