Is this how america veiws us?

Dlewis23

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor..._pat&id=1915303

Its amazing how you can spin anything to make it support your argument. An article on ESPN.com[Forde-yard dash] argues the point of who should be #1. Since he has both Adrian Peterson going to NY for the Heisman, its no surprise that he has Oklohoma #1. I would not have a problem with that except for his reasoning. He says: "No. 1: Oklahoma (6), in a hair-splitting contest over USC (7) and Auburn (8). Yes, the Sooners were pushed to the brink of overtime by Oklahoma State last Saturday, but both the Trojans (against Cal) and Tigers (against LSU) have needed greater escapes to remain unbeaten. And both of theirs came at home." :blink::lsu: was #4 defending BCS champs(currently#17) and Cal is currently #4 in the BCS while Ok. State. is #19.

I understand how people have OU & USC #1 , I'm not a total :homer: , but when your reasoning is as skewed as this, you lose a vast amount of credibility.

In a way I love all of the " :au: will be the odd man out" scenarios going around. We get to be the beloved underdog without being the annoying "We don't get no respect" school. [ :puke::ut: ]

No matter what happens from here on out , I will always yell from my apartment on Bryant Dr. "War Damn Eagle" :au:

P.S.For some reason I get down to where they talk about Jason Campbell and I never seem to finish the excerpt.

there are only a couple of sports writers that I like. most of the college writers don't get to watch that many games(it seems like) and they don't have the perspective that they should. I will admit that OkState didn't play all that well, and were lucky to be in it at that point, but we've basically dominated every game but LSU. And USC almost lost three games(one to stanford). Oklahoma should be number one, Auburn 2, and USC 3. I'm not a big fan of the polls because of how people vote. I mean, why in the world is UGA ahead of Tenn? they have the same record and UT beat UGA, go figure. I don't understand why they have to be so loyal to the preseason polls because they mean nothing.

I think if AU beats UGA.....AU will be the #1 or #2 team in the nation. Bringing that #1, or #2 rank into Tuscaloosa. It wouldnt surprise me at all if AU beats up on UGA either.

The polls and the BCS are being exposed as totally flawed. Last year was an example with both USC and LSU claiming NCs. You know the BCS gurus are going crazy because there are so many undefeated teams this late in the season, because that is going to expose it again as a poor substitute for a more definitive system, say a PLAYOFF!!!!!!!!!!

There have been article after article I've read saying the Coaches and AP polls shouldn't even begin until a few weeks into the season. The voters then have a better idea of how good or bad each team is. This year, AU started out at 17, LSU at 4 (I think), USC as 1, and OK as two. Have no idea where Wisconsin started, but it probably was too low. If the first polls had waited to come out two or three weeks into the season, it would have looked somewhat different than it actully did. In the preseason, all voters base their votes mainly on what a team did the year before. It is not taken seriously because it's preseason. But on down the line when things actually get tight, they still will not move teams around unless they lose a game. It's a stupid system from start to finish. All other sports in all divisions have some type of on-the-field playoff except major college football. I've yet to understand why the power's that be are so adamant against a playoff system. With a 4 team playoff, it would add at most 2 weeks to the season for 4 teams. And pull in 'big time' revenue for every one concerned. Just doesn't make sense.

for a playoff to happen it would extend the season another month or so...and i'm sure there would be some kind of controversy in that also because the polls would still be in place. if they did ever do a playoff, it would only be able to include like 4 to 8 teams, otherwise, it would take too long.

all you need is a four team playoff starting Jan 1

I think if AU beats UGA.....AU will be the #1 or #2 team in the nation. Bringing that #1, or #2 rank into Tuscaloosa. It wouldnt surprise me at all if AU beats up on UGA either.

Nah...even if OU keeps it close with TAMU and Auburn slaughters UGA, there's only a slim chance that Auburn moves ahead of OU. OU still has a good lead over Auburn.

I would have agreed with that last weekend but A&M got beat by...hack, cough, wheeze...Baylor. A&M would have been a legit win for OU had they not lost to Baylor but now, there would be NO COMPARISON in their win over A&M and ours over a top 10 UGA.

Don't sweat it too much. I still believe that if, and I do mean IF, we are able to navigate UGA, UA & UT in succession, there's no way we won't jump OU. Plus, remember that in the polls, we jumped the beloved Miami even after they beat the number 17 team in the nation.

for a playoff to happen it would extend the season another month or so...and i'm sure there would be some kind of controversy in that also because the polls would still be in place. if they did ever do a playoff, it would only be able to include like 4 to 8 teams, otherwise, it would take too long.

118248[/snapback]

If you'll reread my post, I said 4 teams. That's all that is needed. And why a month? And the polls would cease to be involved once the 4 teams are determined, which would be the BCS teams ranked 1-4. On Jan 1, or whenever, the top four teams play in the two biggest bowls of that season. Like this year, the Orange and the Sugar. No 1 plays 4 and No 2 plays 3. Then the next week, not two weeks, not a month, it's not that complicated, the winners of those two games play the Championship game. One extra week to the season to get an on-the-field champion determined by playing each other. Same as every other sport we see. Not complicated, no controversy, no polls involved.

Hell, they've done it for years in college basketball using 64 teams in the NCAA tourney and, what, 48 in the NIT. (I don't follow b-ball, so I am not sure how many in the NIT). How many teams have just extended their season? So I guess those 10 or 12 guys on a b-ball team are less important as far as being in class as are the 70 or 85 on a football team. And I might add that there are also a women's NCAA tourney, so add in another 64 teams. I could go on and on, but I should have made my point.

Who cares?  I'm focused on Georgia.

118275[/snapback]

Well, just let your world stop while your focusing on Georgia. I'm sure that makes the team and coaches feel better. Probably will add at least 3 points to the betting line, also.

You guys are insane if you think that we are gonna be #1 or #2 if we beat UGA. And earth to Auburn fans, there is no current playoff system so get a life. As I have said before, we need to push our playing 4 top ten teams this year including a defending national champion. No one else has done it, period. I've read some of your posts, like "Oh no, we can't do anything like that before the Georgia game". Sure, we might lose but at least we've given our best shot at it, nothing gained is nothing lost. I hate to tell you guys but after this weekend there are only 4 weeks left until the final voting of the BCS comes in. We've only got 4 weeks to make our case. You guys who want to be afraid of doing something positive, go ahead and make your reservations for the Sugar Bowl. You can sit around Pat O'Briens and complain that we really should have been the national champs. Time waits for no man.....

That's why I said "If we beat UGA, UA and UT (again, big IF) there's just no way we can be kept from jumping OU. The writers, voters, heck the whole country would have to take notice of that.

Earth to Mater!!! Got a life and a very good one at that. Your extremely profound statement that 'there is no playoff system' just totally spoiled my day. I thought it was like Yul Brenner in "The Ten Commandants'. So let it be written, so let it be done" I simply stated my opinion and, as I referenced in my post, several sportswriter's opinions. I made no statement that we had a playoff system. But again, thank you for telling me that.

Now about our push for playing 4 top ten teams to impress the voters. Exactly how do we do that? Maybe if ESPN gameday comes to AU for the UGA game, we can make up some signs that says, "but we've played 4 top ten teams, and still are no 3." Yea that should do it. Of maybe during half time of the Iron Bowl have the band spell 'We played 4 top ten teams'. Oh wait, that wont work, there's not enough band members. I just don't know. You tell me. My post discussing a playoff system makes a hell of a lot more sense than your "we need to push our playing 4 top teams including the defending national champion." Just who is going to push and who is going to listen?

And there's not a Pat O'Briens close by, so I'll just stay at home and watch the Sugar Bowl from my recliner, 'course I have no idea who will be playing.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, AU4Ever, I am but a bit frustrated now. I was there in New Orleans in 1983 when we should have been national champs but got the screw job. And yes, I sat in Pat O'briens and drank a few after I found out we were still #3. I know 100% that if we don't politic and there are 3 undefeateds, we will be the odd man out.

Whatta do? Well, I know when I made a post yesterday or the day before, it was the first time anybody brought up playing 4 top ten's including a defending nat'l champ. This is HUGE, nobody will have done this. Our schedule is the only thing we can sell.

How do you do it? email your sports editor of your paper, mine has never printed this before. email the sports anchor at your tv stations and let 'em know. Get on message boards, etc thru-out the interenet and spread the work. email Housel and tell him to get off his ass, he was good at Heisman campaigns. Make it so when anybody talks to anyone at Auburn, all they hear is the party line about our 4 top ten opponents......That would be a good start.

Have you ever heard the story of David and Goliath, I'm sure you have. When David slew Goliath, the opposing army was getting ready to attack the Isrealites.

At that time the Bible said that the whole state of Isreal cried out in unison. The opposite army ran away in fear and the Jews chased after 'em and killed every one of 'em.

Moral: Auburn fans can achieve greatness in unison.

Apology accepted and given in return. How do we do it? Just keep playing at a high level as we've been doing so far. If we do, that in itself will get the message out. It seems to be a consensus (among sportswriters) that if a team goes undefeated in the SEC, and wins the SECCG, then they deserve a shot at the NC. I truly believe that also. We have been and may again be shafted. I hope not but it may happen.

You're right. The AD needs to get the word out to everyone he talks to. Tuberville is doing all he can. He raised the point several weeks ago and everyone laughed at him because he raised the question too early. I don't thinks so. It's better to have raised a moot point (if we do lose a game) than to have never raised the question at all.

WAR EAGLE.

EDIT-Evidently great minds think alike. Here's a link for you.

Tuberville's thoughts on a playoff

Archived