1st Round NFL Draft Picks

SCWarEagle

I'm just asking this because it seriously looks like we might have 3 that would almost definitely seem to be LOCKS (Ronnie, Cadillac and Carlos). Yeah, I wish I could say Jason, too, but I'm trying to be reasonable.

Any, it got me wondering when was the last time we had this clear first-rounders?

Stat, do you have that kind of information?

BEAT BAMA!

Carlos is NOT a clear first-rounder.

The only time since 1982 that we've had 2 first rounderds was 1998, when Takeo Spikes went to the Bengals at 13 and Victor Riley went to the Chiefs at 27.

Carlos is NOT a clear first-rounder.

The only time since 1982 that we've had 2 first rounderds was 1998, when Takeo Spikes went to the Bengals at 13 and Victor Riley went to the Chiefs at 27.

121565[/snapback]

Missed one. 1986 - Bo 1st pick overall, Gerald Robinson 14th pick overall.

When you're comparing years by how many 1st round picks we had it doesn't always match up as well as you might think because each round used to have a lot fewer picks in it. Perfect example would be 1956. There were only 12 teams in the league back then so there were only 12 picks in a round as opposed to the 32 we have today. In '56 we had Joe Childress picked 7th overall, Frank D'Agostino chosen 16th overall, and M.L. Brackett taken 22nd overall. All three would obviously be first round picks today, but Burkett was our only first rounder in '56 thanks to there being only 12 picks.

Other years where more than one AU player was taken high:

Lloyd Cheatham - 14th overall

Rufus Deal - 21st

Jackie Burkett - 12th

Jerry Wilson - 14th

Ken Rice - 8th

Billy Wilson - 31st

Those are the only cases where we would've had multiple first rounders if the draft had been structured as it is today, but the only times we've ever had more than one guy taken in the first round were '86 and '98.

Archived