FSU mascot discussion

War Eagle 96

It's coming....soon you will be quizzed by an uninformed dim-witted FSU fan that will ask, "so what are they, the war eagles, plainsman, or tigers? Why can't Auburn decide what they are?" Then the stupid smirk and pregnant pause. I leave it to you to be prepared with Auburn history and tradition.

But what about FSU? First of all, we played football for more than 50 years while their school was still for girls only. The FSU mascot caricature of chief Osceola was just "created" in the late 70s. Osceola was never a chief. Never wore war paint and never rode a horse. He would have used a hammer or a rifle or a knife, but tomahawks would have been an ancient curiosity to him. I don't care to get into the larger discussion of the demeaning nature of the Native American caricature as a savage, unable to live in parallel with white Americans...but the depiction is no different from black Americans as lawn jockeys and Jews as greedy misers.

First of all I could not care less what anybody says about Auburn and our nicknames and mascots. Second I don't give a rip what FSU does or how correct it is or not. They made a deal with the Seminole tribe so evidently they are ok with it. I'm tired of the whole idea of everybody getting so offended and being uptight about everything.

You say that when the first FSU fan asks you what Auburn's mascot is in Pasadena. Sorry you're so offended by people being offended. Are you tired of yourself?

I'm tired of the world being a place where it has to be politically correct all the time or else someone gets butt hurt (in relation to the Indian mascot)

I don't care what they say about out mascot, battle cries and other nick names. We are gonna run down their throat and make them like it.

I dislike their stupid tomahawk chop chant and symbol. Those will likely be banned one day as being war like and violent due to objections from the PC crowd.

You say that when the first FSU fan asks you what Auburn's mascot is in Pasadena. Sorry you're so offended by people being offended. Are you tired of yourself?

First of all I won't be in Pasadena. Second I am not offended. It just gets old hearing people get their knickers in a wad over every perceived slight.

First of all I won't be in Pasadena. Second I am not offended by anything. It just gets old having people get their knickers in a wad over every perceived slight.

Usually this question is asked by bammers or from time to time other SEC fans. That come back is easy. & I use as little words as I can when answering

OleMiss fan... "Rebel... Bear.. Blackbear..?" Hold both palms in the air and bounce them around with a weighing motion. Wild-eyed face with mouth tilted to one side most effective.

Ut fan... "Davey Crockett... coon dog...?" ditto with the arm and face movements

MissSt fan... "georgia's mascot... cow herder... how does georgia's mascot wear a cowbell when it waddles so close to the ground?" scratch head really hard put one hand on hip and look to the Northeast sky for an answer.

Florida... "jorts." imaginary de-panting motion with bendover and rump popping.

LSU... "can you multi-purpose funnel-cake batter for both cake and corn-dogs to save space when you tailgate?" just be really serious. Maybe throw in an imaginary mixing bowl motion and hotdog dipping motion

Bama.. "mud... fat football players... An Elephant?... Red Water?" Repeat these words very sternly and allow 3 second pauses between each. If they attempt to talk during this time.. get louder. Shake your head really hard as if you've been asked the question to the universe's mystery and walk away like you've got to leave to find the answer.

and I suppose if anyone gets frisky in Pasadena and has the guts/attitude to go there..

Seminole fan..

Option A: "I'm sorry you get so easily confused. I bet you lost your mind with all of those balls going Wide Right & left against that Ibis and his windy storm." Put your hand on their shoulder as you ask, and with your other hand.. pretend your hand is a ball on the way to the goal and then veer off dramatically to the left. repeat several times, changing up directions. Stare at your hand as if you are on pins and needles to see which way it will go. Remove hand from shoulder. Walk away.

Option B: "Coming from a fanbase who has no mascot, surely you understand the concept of symbols." (walkaway before they answer) - Florida State has no 'Mascot'. Seminoles, Osceola.. are all 'symbols'.

First of all I won't be in Pasadena. Second I am not offended. It just gets old hearing people get their knickers in a wad over every perceived slight.

You can say that again.

It's coming....soon you will be quizzed by an uninformed dim-witted FSU fan that will ask, "so what are they, the war eagles, plainsman, or tigers? Why can't Auburn decide what they are?" Then the stupid smirk and pregnant pause. I leave it to you to be prepared with Auburn history and tradition.

But what about FSU? First of all, we played football for more than 50 years while their school was still for girls only. The FSU mascot caricature of chief Osceola was just "created" in the late 70s. Osceola was never a chief. Never wore war paint and never rode a horse. He would have used a hammer or a rifle or a knife, but tomahawks would have been an ancient curiosity to him. I don't care to get into the larger discussion of the demeaning nature of the Native American caricature as a savage, unable to live in parallel with white Americans...but the depiction is no different from black Americans as lawn jockeys and Jews as greedy misers.

fwiw, FSU has paid the Seminole Tribe of Florida huge annual payments since they started picketing outside FSU home games in the early '80s. Nothing like money to cool political outrage. Part of the deal was whomever sits on top of that horse must "show dignity" which FSU interprets as having the guy never smile. Ever. More interesting tidbits, he was not a Seminole (he was Creek/Scottish) but by the time he was 28, as an advisor to the Seminole Chief (Micanopy), personally lead the 1000 year old Seminole Tribe to ruin within 4 years by "intervening" in peace negotiations by arranging a series of ambushes of the army. Nice mascot.

OK all you Auburn fans, most of the nation thinks the Nole tradition with Renegade and Osceola is pretty cool. As for Auburn all we can say is War Damn Chant baby!!!! Better luck next time you are FORCED to play us and can't cancel the game for Appalachian State...

You just aren't ready for us man.

OK all you Auburn fans, most of the nation thinks the Nole tradition with Renegade and Osceola is pretty cool. As for Auburn all we can say is War Damn Chant baby!!!! Better luck next time you are FORCED to play us and can't cancel the game for Appalachian State...

You just aren't ready for us man.

Lol.

Yep, FSU fans always bring up the fact we cancelled the game after Terry Bowden was fired. What did FSU do when Bobby was fired? Sent 2 students to the press conference instead of the athletic director, etc. All for the winning-est coach in college football after how many years...

I guess we aren't ready for that kind of guts...

Archived