Softball vs. South Carolina - game 3

South carolina gets a couple of base runners from a single and and error but nothing else.   After 4 complete, Auburn trails 3-0.   We need to get some runs here.    Greenwood, Shea and Jordan coming up.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenwood drops a bunt down and reaches 1st.  throw is wide and into shallow right, but Greenwood stays at 1st.    Courtney Shea coming up.

Jordan pops it, 2nd baseman goes back and makes the catch at the edge of the grass behind 2nd base.  2 outs.  Runner on 1st.  Crocker up.

The bottom of our order simply is not helping. I think the last 4's batting avg is under .200 except for Shea who has about a .250 avg...

Can't score runs if we can't get on base... 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The bottom of our order simply is not helping. I think the last 4's batting avg is under .200 except for Shea who has about a .250 avg...

Can't score runs if we can't get on base... 

Early in the year, it looked like our bottom half would carry their part of the load.  As the season has gone on,  the bottom half is resembling last year's high probability of getting out.  In the championship game last year, we all kinda felt like we needed to score the tie in the 6th inning because we knew the bottom 3 would have no answer for Parker.

Carlson sets them down in order in the 5th.  Auburn has work to do if we want to win this one.   Top of the order up:   Draper, Cooper and Wallace.

Cooper hooks one foul to the left side, but the 3rd baseman runs it down and makes the catch.  2 outs.  Wallace flies to shallow center to end the top 6th.

I definitely will not miss these announcers.  They are pretty awful.   They are trying to hard to be funny and it just doesn't work.

Carlson sets them down in order.   After 6 complete Auburn trails 3-0.   We better find a way to score at least 3 here.  Let's go Auburn.  Rivera, Veach and Greenwood coming up.

Wow....three consecutive games of total hitting frustration.  The team was already at or close to last place in the SEC in hitting and did nothing to help itself.

Don't know what if anything can be done to turn that around by season's end....

That was a lackluster showing.  Missed Fagan's bat this series, especially today when we just had nothing going.  We have to get better production from the bottom of the lineup.  Way too easy for other teams when they only have to be concerned with the first 4-5 hitters.

That has to be among the nominations for "Worst Game of the Year".  No energy on the team whatsoever.  Three bad errors.  I think that's the 4th time we've been shut out this year.  Prior to the James Madison game, we had not been shut out in 105 games.

Don't know what to think about not scoring any runs against the last place team in the SEC.  Very concerning and only 2 hits.  Not sure how we'll do if this trend continues into the tournament.  Nonetheless, great to get the series!  Back to the batting cages

Probably got spoiled by the 2015 and 2016 teams with pretty solid hitting ...not all the way from 1-9 in the batting order, but not near as many dry spots in the line-up and generally some power threats came up in every inning with a chance to drive in a run or two.    

Have to say that these games are more reminders of what softball used to be like...before Clint....low scoring games....1-0, 2-0, 2-1, misplayed balls, etc....and not that much excitement.   

Those first teams under Clint .....the offense and runs are what lit a fire under the sport in Auburn in my view.   Hate to say it but I watched most of the 3 games this weekend and about as exciting a the proverbial ."watching paint dry".  

I'm pulling for the team to get it back together but as has been noted by several people...this just does not feel right....:dunno:

Got the feeling today of "OK, we won the series, let's get this over so we can go back to Auburn and deal with the suspended players."  Odd that the only two hits today came from Greenwood, but good for her.  Wallace has gone stone cold after being red-hot for a while.  Coop hit 2 or 3 long balls in the series, but all a little short of the wall.  We saw again today the tactic of changing pitchers just to change.  We weren't getting anything off Blue, so why did she change pitchers?  This may become a trend.

I think if you listened over the last few weeks, Coach Meyer has made several points about how this team needs to bear down and focus and do what needs to be done to be better hitters, fielders etc...

I think he knows that this team needs probably more knee jerk motivation...and they have to show in practice too. I have a feeling this team is too distracted (and I'm not even talking about the off the field stuff).

The only consistent player has been Wallace. Cooper is not even batting .300 and driving in runs or hitting close to last year. She has 7 hrs and 35 rbis and last year she had over 20 hrs and over 80 rbis. she will not come close to that total. And a lot of it is they are not pitching to her since she doesnt have strong hitting around her since Wallace was put in the leadoff spot to jump start our hitting...

I just don't see this team finding the magic elixir this year...but there is a little time left to hope...

13 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Got the feeling today of "OK, we won the series, let's get this over so we can go back to Auburn and deal with the suspended players."  Odd that the only two hits today came from Greenwood, but good for her.  Wallace has gone stone cold after being red-hot for a while.  Coop hit 2 or 3 long balls in the series, but all a little short of the wall.  We saw again today the tactic of changing pitchers just to change.  We weren't getting anything off Blue, so why did she change pitchers?  This may become a trend.

With six or seven inning games and not many baserunners , it is pretty easy to create a situation where our hitters only see a pitcher once before a new pitcher comes into the game with a different look. I guess that if a team has two or three pitchers who are more for less equal , changing them on a schedule might make each one a little bit more effective. 

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

With six or seven inning games and not many baserunners , it is pretty easy to create a situation where our hitters only see a pitcher once before a new pitcher comes into the game with a different look. I guess that if a team has two or three pitchers who are more for less equal , changing them on a schedule might make each one a little bit more effective. 

Normally, if a pitcher is going great and there are no other issues, a coach stays with that pitcher. The changes worked for USCe this weekend, but I have the distressing feeling that we weren't going to hit much no matter what their coach did. This was not a good pitching staff we were looking at and still, nothing.

How long before people start to say of Clint Meyers "Yeah, but he did it with Tina Dees's players"? :devil:

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Normally, if a pitcher is going great and there are no other issues, a coach stays with that pitcher. The changes worked for USCe this weekend, but I have the distressing feeling that we weren't going to hit much no matter what their coach did. This was not a good pitching staff we were looking at and still, nothing.

How long before people start to say of Clint Meyers "Yeah, but he did it with Tina Dees's players"? :devil:

I will never say that about Meyers. He has too much history and a proven track record. 

I just think they have problems with the current roster becoming better hitters in the SEC. I think the new ones, if they will improve, will be better players than what Meyers is putting out there for now, especially at the bottom of the order.

This team only scored 4 runs against a team with one of the highest ERAs in the league. We simply do not hit well consistently, shown by our team batting avg...and probably with runs scored...

Archived