Not much respect for SEC coaches

AU64

2008 SEC Football Coaches:

Alabama .................. Nick Saban (205 wins)

Arkansas ................. Bobby Petrino (109 wins)

Auburn ................... Tommy Tuberville (159 wins)

Florida .................... Urban Meyer (165 wins)

Georgia .................. Mark Richt (154 wins)

Kentucky ................ Rich Brooks (130 wins)

LSU ........................ Les Miles (141 wins)

Ole Miss ................. Houston Nutt (135 wins)

Miss State .............. Sylvester Croom (21 wins)

South Carolina ........ Steve Spurrier (228 wins)

Tennessee .............. Phillip Fulmer (152 wins)

Vanderbilt .............. Bobby Johnson (89 wins)

Entering the 2017 season, the above listed coaches haves a combined 1688 victories at the collegiate level. Seven of the 12 coaches listed above won at least 1 SEC Championship. Five of the twelve coaches won a National Championship or had an undefeated season in the SEC. Ten of the twelve coaches have over 100 career victories.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work with the list.  Only one of those guys is still in the SEC...and most are out of HC jobs now. 

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Now that is an impressive list of coaches!!!

You're dang straight and that doesn't even include Gene Chizik with a conference and national title that got added in 2010.  My goodness.

16 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I completely disagree.  The only school in the SEC that has an advantage over us or anybody else in the conference is uat.  The only reason they have that is because they are willing to sacrifice all ethics and integrity to win and buy the players they need to compete.    The others you mentioned don't have any advantages over us or anybody else.   We all mostly recruit the same players.  LSU may recruit more heavily in Texas given their proximity but other than that.  NO. 

You have to admit, WarTiger... Georgia and LSU have recruiting advantages, because they have no in-state recruiting competition. Any half-competent recruiter can just sell "state loyalty" and "play for the home crowd" at those schools. bama shouldn't have that advantage, but you're totally right, they sold their soul decades ago to get that and other advantages. 

As for Florida, they used to have the advantage of an unreasonably unbalanced amount of talent in their state, but I feel like talent levels have equalized across much of the South.

15 hours ago, aubaseball said:

All this cheat talk sounds like sour grapes to me unless someone can prove something 

bama's cheating has been documented year in an year out.  If you haven't seen the pictures of customized cars, rims, suits, etc along with the receipts and other things some investigative reporters have dug up, then you don't have your eyes open. Heck I would bet there is more physical documentation in public of bama's misdeeds then there is of the last 3-4 schools who were actually punished by the NCAA.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Nice work with the list.  Only one of those guys is still in the SEC...and most are out of HC jobs now. 

But that one; his ability to milk such results out of such a limited (?) coaching staff certainly seems worthy of some discussion.

“Notre Dame has the largest football staff in the country, according to an NCAA survey obtained exclusively by CBS Sports…The Irish have a combined 45 on-field coaches, strength coaches, graduate assistants and support staff, according to the survey distributed to the NCAA Council last month. Notre Dame is followed closely in the top five by Texas (44), Georgia (42), Auburn (41) and Michigan (40)… It is largely perceived in coaching circles that Alabama, not Notre Dame, has the largest staff. In the survey, Alabama is credited with a total staff size of 31. According to the survey, that would tie Missouri and Ole Miss for sixth in the SEC and tie for 28th nationally.” [http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/as-ncaa-zeroes-in-on-college-football-staff-sizes-survey-shows-inconsistencies/]

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Look at the actual survey results closely and you'll see why Bammer isn't higher...lol.  They have a combined 20 coaches in football operations and off field/recruiting positions. Not many schools had more.  Bammer didn't list grad assistants so they had a 0 there which you know isn't true.  And they only listed 1 strength and conditioning coach, which again you know is a lie.  And CBS runs with it...typical.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Look at the actual survey results closely and you'll see why Bammer isn't higher...lol.  They have a combined 20 coaches in football operations and off field/recruiting positions. Not many schools had more.  Bammer didn't list grad assistants so they had a 0 there which you know isn't true.  And they only listed 1 strength and conditioning coach, which again you know is a lie.  And CBS runs with it...typical.

CBS does surveys...they don't investigate and call me a cynic but I'm betting other schools lie too...or use creative accounting and personnel records. Far as I know, since there does not seem to be much in the way of rules about staff except "on - field"....schools do what ever their budgets or administration allows.  And if you look at the list, there is a case to be made about quantity and quality when it comes to staff....and whatever bama really has, it's hard to make the case that AU's staff is inadequate compared to the rest of the SEC or NCAA.  JMO

Auburn's staff isn't inadequate, nor does it lack quantity.  

I think the real question to be asked, is our staff equal in "quality" when compared to our rivals?  Do we employ former college HC's, former NFL coaches, men with extensive experience developing at the college/pro level......or do we have a staff filled with high school level experience, or men with very limited D-1 college coaching under their belts?

Archived