The Right's Admiration for Vladimir Putin Tells You Everything You Need to Know About American Conservatives

homersapien

http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/rights-admiration-vladimir-putin-tells-you-everything-you-need-know-about-american

They have a deep affinity for authoritarianism and an even deeper distrust of modern Western culture.

One of the most astonishing turnabouts in the history of American politics is the big bear hug with which so many conservatives and Republicans are embracing former KGB operative and current Russian dictator Vladimir Putin. This, after 50 years of lacerating the former Soviet Union as what Ronald Reagan called the “evil empire.”

Nothing may better certify the chaos into which our world has descended after Donald Trump’s election than the fact that Republicans now seem perfectly content with the Russians having attempted to subvert our democratic process, something that not all that long ago would have sent them into a rage.

This isn’t necessarily because these Republicans think no such interference occurred, despite the proof that it did. It is because they revere what Putin represents more than they revere their own democracy.

You can call this rank hypocrisy. You can attribute it to Trump and his own Putin love and say that Republicans zealously follow their leader. But the truth is far more frightening: conservatives have a deep affinity for authoritarianism and an even deeper distrust of modern Western culture. When it comes down to it, their lament, as captured in surveys, is that America isn’t more like Russia.

I don’t have to tell you how chilling this is or what it portends. It means that many of your fellow Americans subscribe to the philosophy of a ruthless, murderous, lying, kleptocratic, illiberal potentate who runs the largest criminal organization in the history of the world. And if that doesn’t scare you, this will: These same people, although thankfully still a minority, run the country now.

That’s why Russia love matters.

Back in 1984, writer-director Paul Mazursky made a wonderfully funny and moving film starring Robin Williams as a Russian defector trying to find his way in New York. It was called Moscow on the Hudson, and though it wasn’t rah-rah or sappily patriotic — the hero goes through many travails — it was nevertheless a sweet valentine to this country of ours where so much is good in spite of ourselves.

In its own way, it set out the terms of engagement with the then-Soviet Union, which was an economic and moral disaster. None of that was terribly surprising — then. Alas, I suspect this charming movie would have little resonance today. In fact, a reboot might be titled America on the Volga.

Though Trump seems the black hole from which all evil emanates, and though he certainly gave license for his followers to embrace Putin — polls show a rapid change of heart about Putin in the GOP base over the last few years — Russia love among conservatives long preceded him. A seminal article in American Conservative by its founder Pat Buchanan in 2013 already was hailing America’s one-time enemy-in-chief as a possible savior of Western civilization. Buchanan approvingly quoted a Putin speech on moral depravity:

With America clearly in mind, Putin declared, “In many countries today, moral and ethical norms are being reconsidered.”

“They’re now requiring not only the proper acknowledgment of freedom of conscience, political views and private life, but also the mandatory acknowledgment of the equality of good and evil.”

Translation: While privacy and freedom of thought, religion and speech are cherished rights, to equate traditional marriage and same-sex marriage is to equate good with evil.

No moral confusion here, this is moral clarity, agree or disagree.

Read the rest at: http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/rights-admiration-vladimir-putin-tells-you-everything-you-need-know-about-american

This is what "conservatism" has become in the United States, and those quotation marks are important. Conservatism as a framework is a good thing to have. Even if I disagree with most things conservatives stand for, I also understand that it's important to have them as a counter-point to keep hippies like me grounded. But modern conservatism in the U.S. isn't really conservative at all, it's just a bunch of nutjobs running around trying to out-nutjob each other.

13 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

This is what "conservatism" has become in the United States, and those quotation marks are important. Conservatism as a framework is a good thing to have. Even if I disagree with most things conservatives stand for, I also understand that it's important to have them as a counter-point to keep hippies like me grounded. But modern conservatism in the U.S. isn't really conservative at all, it's just a bunch of nutjobs running around trying to out-nutjob each other.

1) This post is sssooo spot on it is POD for me.

2) I was reading all that and agreeing with it until I saw it was from alternet. While I agree 90% with the content, quoting Alternet is on the same level as quoting WND, Breitbart, InfoWars, etc.

It was from Bill Moyers.com.   It's an opinion piece, with supporting references.

Alternet didn't write it.  Alternet publishes articles from various sources.

And if you were agreeing with it until you "saw it was from Alternet", that says a lot about your ability to think critically.

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

It was from Bill Moyers.com.   It's an opinion piece, with supporting references.

Alternet didn't write it.  Alternet publishes articles from various sources.

And if you were agreeing with it until you "saw it was from Alternet", that says a lot about your ability to think critically.

I still agreed with it though. Alternet uses some really truly nut job sources at times. 

As far as Conservatives:

You have the Libertarian Conservatives, they want the govt as small as possible. They want to cut spending on some things i consider to be vital to the working folks. But in general, they want govt out of our lives. I would welcome some real restraint at the NSA for instance. But this is not me.

The you have the Religious Conservatives that are very very scary and want Authoritarianism. These are the folks I run from, under all conditions. They are just Taliban Lite in many ways. I now these people. WE KNOW THESE PEOPLE. They are RELIGIOUS to the point that they actually deny the real teachings of Christ. They are modern Pharisees if you will. These are the folks that scare the hell out of me. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

As far as Conservatives:

You have the Libertarian Conservatives, they want the govt as small as possible. They want to cut spending on some things i consider to be vital to the working folks. But in general, they want govt out of our lives. I would welcome some real restraint at the NSA for instance. But this is not me.

The you have the Religious Conservatives that are very very scary and want Authoritarianism. These are the folks I run from, under all conditions. They are just Taliban Lite in many ways. I now these people. WE KNOW THESE PEOPLE. They are RELIGIOUS to the point that they actually deny the real teachings of Christ. They are modern Pharisees if you will. These are the folks that scare the hell out of me. 

Well, you can't say the Republicans don't have a "big tent".   ;D

(But you left out the "alt right".)

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, you can't say the Republicans don't have a "big tent".   ;D

(But you left out the "alt right".)

I was just contrasting two points.Authoritarian vs Small Govt.  Some of the Alt Right Birthers,NeoCons, Obama is the Anti-Christ, Preppers, Posse Comittatus, the Racists, The Crazy Rancher Types, Neo Nazis, Skinheads, etc are just unhinged. Does Crazy have a defining philosophy?

Gotta be the nuttiest line of commentary on conservatism I have ever seen.   

Kind of like hearing non-Christians explain what Christians believe....gotta consider the sources.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Gotta be the nuttiest line of commentary on conservatism I have ever seen.   

Kind of like hearing non-Christians explain what Christians believe....gotta consider the sources.

That's the whole point.  Modern "conservatism" has taken a "nutty" course and wound up in a "nutty" place.  That's what happens when you embrace a "nutty" leader.

You seem to be in denial.

When you point out the fallacies of a party, but fail to see those of your own, one should question your integrity. 

54 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

When you point out the fallacies of a party, but fail to see those of your own, one should question your integrity. 

My "own"?

And you take politically correctness to excess by insisting I give the Dems equal attention. It's not like they are in power.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

My "own"?

And you take politically correctness to excess by insisting I give the Dems equal attention. It's not like they are in power.

Gonna carefully frame this one: homer, they are out of power DUE TO their behavior. They have walked away from the Middle Class and turned their attention toward the Big Corp Donor. They have in turn LOST the HOR, the Senate, the WH, and 900+ State Legislature Seats and 20 or so governorships. They are out of power due to what they did while in power.

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Gonna carefully frame this one: homer, they are out of power DUE TO their behavior. They have walked away from the Middle Class and turned their attention toward the Big Corp Donor. They have in turn LOST the HOR, the Senate, the WH, and 900+ State Legislature Seats and 20 or so governorships. They are out of power due to what they did while in power.

I wouldn't argue with that.  But they are not the current problem, the Republicans are.

Democrats have been given a chance to turn their ship around.  Considering what would have happened if Hillary had won, that's a political blessing.  I said as much before the election.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

I wouldn't argue with that.  But they are not the current problem, the Republicans are.

Democrats have been given a chance to turn their ship around.  Considering what would have happened if Hillary had won, that's a political blessing.  I said as much before the election.

Then our differences lie in the idea that you may think that the Dems are turning back toward the Working Class. I do not believe that thus far. I am donating money and time to help those trying to reclaim the Dem Party.

Archived