SMU Bake Sale Shut Down

CarolinaTiger

A group of college conservatives set up a bake sale w/ differing prices based on the buyer's race/gender. the school shut it down in under an hour.

Link

the offended student mentioned in the article said affirmative action is not based on race... rather its based on bring diversity to a given community.

a) exactly what about the bake sale offended the student?

b ) if the college conservative group wanted a diverse customer base, wouldn't offering differing prices based on desired customer-attributes be a way of doing so?

c) the article mentions that the group sold 3 cookies, raising $1.50 :lol:

life in these United States.

ct

"the offended student mentioned in the article said affirmative action is not based on race... rather its based on bring diversity to a given community."

If I were speaking to this guy i would have to ask..What is different among people who benefit from affirmitive action to generate diversity? Is it not race?

Of course it is. I see the bake sale no different that what they do at colleges. They give preferrential treatment to people based on their skin color. There is no other way to look at it.

The amazing thing to me is that...for so long we heard pioneers of the civil rights movment speak about equality. It is now no longer about equality. It is about receiving SPECIAL benefits because of your skin color.

Basically many minorities are saying...DON'T JUDGE ME BASED ON MY SKIN COLOR....unless judging me based on color benefits me in some way...then its alright.

Since performance really isn't what one should be measured by anymore, maybe we can work out a deal. We'll start with the NFL and have it trickle down to college football. Quotas across the board. All NFL head coaching slots should fall within parameters of the society at large. So 75-80% of all head coaches will be white, 13% will be Hispanic, 11% will be black. Same goes for the assistants.

But we won't stop there. Players count too. Now 75% of all players will be white, 13% Hispanic, and 11% black. If a black kid can run a 4.3 forty yd dash, and catch anything thrown his way, too bad. We've got to boost diversity and have our teams reflect the way our society looks.

Whatcha wanna bet this ain't the kind of affirmative action they're looking for?

Since performance really isn't what one should be measured by anymore, maybe we can work out a deal. We'll start with the NFL and have it trickle down to college football. Quotas across the board. All NFL head coaching slots should fall within parameters of the society at large. So 75-80% of all head coaches will be white, 13% will be Hispanic, 11% will be black. Same goes for the assistants.

But we won't stop there. Players count too. Now 75% of all players will be white, 13% Hispanic, and 11% black. If a black kid can run a 4.3 forty yd dash, and catch anything thrown his way, too bad. We've got to boost diversity and have our teams reflect the way our society looks.

Whatcha wanna bet this ain't the kind of affirmative action they're looking for?

MAN!! What a great point.

Then again, this isn't the first time Titan and I have agreed.

Yeah well. TigerAl hasn't gotten his spin in yet. You are all just racist pigs for not falling in line with the minority point of view.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well said..................sad part is that this bullsh1t is reality in corporate america today.

I will be a token white & I want a contract like Allen Iverson just signed!

$19 MILLION per year.

The children at SMU have ignored the historical perspective needed to look at affirmative action honestly and responsibly. Here's an article that was written in 1993. The thing I find interesting about it is that it could easily have been written in 2003 because not much has changed. If you approach race issues without looking at the events that shaped them, it's easy to come to the conclusion that to sell cookies to blacks at 1/4 the price is an effective form of protest.

The children at SMU have ignored the historical perspective needed to look at affirmative action honestly and responsibly. Here's an article that was written in 1993. The thing I find interesting about it is that it could easily have been written in 2003 because not much has changed. If you approach race issues without looking at the events that shaped them, it's easy to come to the conclusion that to sell cookies to blacks at 1/4 the price is an effective form of protest.

So are you saying that allowing someone enrollment based on their skin color IS an effective type of Administration?

:rolleyes:

There are no racial excuses for failure in 2003 America for Blacks; they have every advantage in terms of policies, social pressure and laws. The biggest problem for Blacks isn’t whitey’s opinion of them but rather illegitimacy within the black community. There are black people out there that have no problem being successful, however they almost always come from families with fathers.

There are no racial excuses for failure in 2003 America for Blacks; they have every advantage in terms of policies, social pressure and laws. The biggest problem for Blacks isn’t whitey’s opinion of them but rather illegitimacy within the black community. There are black people out there that have no problem being successful, however they almost always come from families with fathers.

harsh, but very true ;)

So are you saying that allowing someone enrollment based on their skin color IS an effective type of Administration?

That's kind of a half-cocked question, wouldn't you say? If not, then the opposite question would be just as valid: So are you saying that NOT allowing someone enrollment based on their skin color is an effective type of Administration?

It goes a little deeper than that. Read the article.

Editorial from The Dallas Morning News

Burning the Cookies: SMU wrong to halt 'affirmative action sale'

12:01 AM CDT on Friday, September 26, 2003

Famed First Amendment lawyer Floyd Abrams told a national group of editorial writers last week that threats to the First Amendment these days come more often from the left than the right. It was a provocative statement from Mr. Abrams, himself a man of the left. Yesterday's action by Southern Methodist University seems to back it up...

...Campus security shut down the bake sale after 45 minutes. "This was not an issue about free speech," student center director Tim Moore told this newspaper. "It was really an issue where we had a hostile environment being created that was potentially volatile."

...This is exactly wrong, and SMU officials ought to be ashamed of themselves. If you have students threatening violence over a political protest, you send campus security in to protect the free speech rights of the protesters. You don't deny the protesters their right to make their opinion heard...

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editoria...ismu.a5379.html

(you may have to register to view the entire article, but it's free)

Editorial from The Dallas Morning News

Burning the Cookies: SMU wrong to halt 'affirmative action sale'

12:01 AM CDT on Friday, September 26, 2003

Famed First Amendment lawyer Floyd Abrams told a national group of editorial writers last week that threats to the First Amendment these days come more often from the left than the right. It was a provocative statement from Mr. Abrams, himself a man of the left. Yesterday's action by Southern Methodist University seems to back it up...

...Campus security shut down the bake sale after 45 minutes. "This was not an issue about free speech," student center director Tim Moore told this newspaper. "It was really an issue where we had a hostile environment being created that was potentially volatile."

...This is exactly wrong, and SMU officials ought to be ashamed of themselves. If you have students threatening violence over a political protest, you send campus security in to protect the free speech rights of the protesters. You don't deny the protesters their right to make their opinion heard...

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editoria...ismu.a5379.html

(you may have to register to view the entire article, but it's free)

Ding! Ding! Ding! WE have a winner!

Hey, you know what? These are some good conservatives/republicans we've got here! Even when they're protesting, they've still got a plan to make some money off of it!! :lol:

BEFORE i read the article...only read the tag lines, i assumed the group was charging blacks MORE for their cookies, not less.

if that had been the case, how do you think that would have changed the event?

any?

ct

BEFORE i read the article...only read the tag lines, i assumed the group was charging blacks MORE for their cookies, not less.

if that had been the case, how do you think that would have changed the event?

any?

ct

It probably would've harkened back to the days of the poll tax.

Archived