Lighting question for weather experts or electricians....

So the other day, me and a buddy went golfing. There were storms around, but the radar showed them just north of the course and moving away from to the east. Well, we thought it was good. We could hear the thunder a little ways away but felt comfortable enough to continue with what the radar said. We were on the green of the 4th hole when we heard a fairly close one that made us consider going to the club house, but we decided to just see what it was doing after the 5th since  it was a very short par 3, only hundred yards . I was kind of rushing it to get going and I ended up a little short of the green. I went to chip and BOOM!! a very close strike. I didn't see the bolt, but defiantly saw the flash and the immediate boom. Nervously, I rushed my next shot and way over shot the hole, so I just picked up and headed to the cart ready to get to shelter. My friend was  20 or 30ft behind me on his way to the cart when...Thats when there was a bright flashing that had a distinct "SIZZLE SNAP" while it flashed, once the flashing stopped BOOM!!  Again, never saw the bolt...We were as far away from the club house as you could possible get! We took off on an frustratingly governed golf cart,  we got about 100 ft and again, BOOM!!!  All this in like 5 minutes time!  We did all the wrong stuff,...We had to drive under these towering power lines, next was a lake, driving under trees, being out in the open while being the tallest object....everything wrong! There was still lighting all around us, ..not as close as the 3 in a row, but close enough for the "yep!! Im going in now!!" kinda feel.....At one point, I remembered a thing I saw on the weather channel that taught you what to do if caught in a situation like that years ago. They said to find the lowest point away from trees and power lines, kneel down, and stick your butt in the air..........Man,...Im so glad I didnt do that!! lol!   Anyways we finally got to the clubhouse and all was fine. A little rattled, but fine.

My question though, does anyone know approximately how close lightning is to you when you can the sizzle/snap sound ? I never saw any actual bolt,  They all seemed to happen away from where I was looking.  Definitely saw the flash though. I was thinking they had to be within a couple hundred yards from us, but the Sizzle one?   Oh yeah, my hair was standing on end, but Im guessing  that was my fear from the first close one. That or that whole area was charged up from the storm. 

2 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

They said to find the lowest point away from trees and power lines, kneel down, and stick your butt in the air.

Kneel down and stick your butt up in the air with pride, fam. We’ve all had to do it in lightning storms before. 

8 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

So the other day, me and a buddy went golfing. There were storms around, but the radar showed them just north of the course and moving away from to the east. Well, we thought it was good. We could hear the thunder a little ways away but felt comfortable enough to continue with what the radar said. We were on the green of the 4th hole when we heard a fairly close one that made us consider going to the club house, but we decided to just see what it was doing after the 5th since  it was a very short par 3, only hundred yards . I was kind of rushing it to get going and I ended up a little short of the green. I went to chip and BOOM!! a very close strike. I didn't see the bolt, but defiantly saw the flash and the immediate boom. Nervously, I rushed my next shot and way over shot the hole, so I just picked up and headed to the cart ready to get to shelter. My friend was  20 or 30ft behind me on his way to the cart when...Thats when there was a bright flashing that had a distinct "SIZZLE SNAP" while it flashed, once the flashing stopped BOOM!!  Again, never saw the bolt...We were as far away from the club house as you could possible get! We took off on an frustratingly governed golf cart,  we got about 100 ft and again, BOOM!!!  All this in like 5 minutes time!  We did all the wrong stuff,...We had to drive under these towering power lines, next was a lake, driving under trees, being out in the open while being the tallest object....everything wrong! There was still lighting all around us, ..not as close as the 3 in a row, but close enough for the "yep!! Im going in now!!" kinda feel.....At one point, I remembered a thing I saw on the weather channel that taught you what to do if caught in a situation like that years ago. They said to find the lowest point away from trees and power lines, kneel down, and stick your butt in the air..........Man,...Im so glad I didnt do that!! lol!   Anyways we finally got to the clubhouse and all was fine. A little rattled, but fine.

My question though, does anyone know approximately how close lightning is to you when you can the sizzle/snap sound ? I never saw any actual bolt,  They all seemed to happen away from where I was looking.  Definitely saw the flash though. I was thinking they had to be within a couple hundred yards from us, but the Sizzle one?   Oh yeah, my hair was standing on end, but Im guessing  that was my fear from the first close one. That or that whole area was charged up from the storm. 

Geez my hair was standing just reading......Not an expert by any means...........next time you fry bacon........walk away then approach slowly til you hear it sizzle......I would say that close?.................but seriously glad you made it to the clubhouse......lightning is no joke?

As much golf as I have played in 60 years especially in Fl. the lighting capital of the world my best advice is the first thunder you hear haul ass to the clubhouse or nearest restroom shelter. I've had many close calls.....been lucky

As for your question " how close lightning is to you when you can the sizzle/snap sound" too damn close not being a smart ass either. Golf is not that important to get killed.

You were lucky this time 

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

As much golf as I have played in 60 years especially in Fl. the lighting capital of the world my best advice is the first thunder you hear haul ass to the clubhouse or nearest restroom shelter. I've had many close calls.....been lucky

As for your question " how close lightning is to you when you can the sizzle/snap sound" too damn close not being a smart ass either. Golf is not that important to get killed.

You were lucky this time 

The bad thing is, I knew better. I actually let myself get talked into the extra hole....and I convinced myself and my friend that I was some sort of weather expert watching the weather radar on my phone, rather than relying on my actual eyes and ears.  We redid the hole after all the mayhem,  and without the fear of being killed, I  turned a bogie to a birdie!

3 big strikes, 3 big lessons

19 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Damn!

All I can offer is that ~5-sec flash-to-bang time equates to about 1-mi distance.

Let's don't this again sometime.

1 hour ago, SaturdayGT said:

The bad thing is, I knew better. I actually let myself get talked into the extra hole....and I convinced myself and my friend that I was some sort of weather expert watching the weather radar on my phone, rather than relying on my actual eyes and ears.  We redid the hole after all the mayhem,  and without the fear of being killed, I  turned a bogie to a birdie!

3 big strikes, 3 big lessons

We've all been there especially here in central Fl. we get lighting almost daily. I've smelled the burning wood of a tree hit by lighting less than 100 ft. from me scare the living crap out of me.

A little side joke always carry a one iron cause even God can't hit a one iron.....................

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You were lucky this time 

One of the biggest lightning scares I've ever experienced was. in your neck of the woods I believe on Lake Toho.

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

carry a one iron cause even God can't hit a one iron.....................

Now that, is priceless!! Resonates well after that experience! lol

I can tell a little story concerning lighting. I was playing by myself at my country club in Winter Garden Fl. as usual a storm comes hauling ass in with lighting. I head for the clubhouse and park my cart in the cart barn and go inside to have a beer with the club pro while the storm passes. Storm passes and I go to the cart barn and my clubs were gone. Yep stolen right off the cart grab the bag and took off. Set of ping irons and assorted woods. Come to find out a ring was running around central Fl and would hit clubs during lighting storms. They hit the Disney and resort courses a lot. You could see the tire tracks they left. Broke my heart but since they were stolen off of club property there insurance paid for replacement. 

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Damn!

All I can offer is that ~5-sec flash-to-bang time equates to about 1-mi distance.

Let's don't this again sometime.

I cant deny that I love the thrill of the experience now that Im safe and sound...but yeah....never again do I want to go through that again!  If I had a top 10 closest lightning  strikes while being outdoors and exposed to being struck,  the top three would be what happend in that 5 minute span last Sunday lol!

10 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

One of the biggest lightning scares I've ever experienced was. in your neck of the woods I believe on Lake Toho.

Yep near St. Cloud

Been there also.  If the flash/sizzle and boom were at the same time, the strike was very close. Light travels faster than sound.  If this is a regular course for you ask the grounds crew where it hit.  They will probably know. 

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I can tell a little story concerning lighting. I was playing by myself at my country club in Winter Garden Fl. as usual a storm comes hauling ass in with lighting. I head for the clubhouse and park my cart in the cart barn and go inside to have a beer with the club pro while the storm passes. Storm passes and I go to the cart barn and my clubs were gone. Yep stolen right off the cart grab the bag and took off. Set of ping irons and assorted woods. Come to find out a ring was running around central Fl and would hit clubs during lighting storms. They hit the Disney and resort courses a lot. You could see the tire tracks they left. Broke my heart but since they were stolen off of club property there insurance paid for replacement. 

Not many feelings worse than having someone steal from you..........my Ping Anser is my favorite putter❤

12 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Been there also.  If the flash/sizzle and boom were at the same time, the strike was very close. Light travels faster than sound.  If this is a regular course for you ask the grounds crew where it hit.  They will probably know. 

We were right next to a road and then neighborhood, and I think the strikes were in that area. I really dont know though for sure though. I guarantee there were some on the course though!!....Man that sound....SIZZLE POP! The  pop sound was the same pop you hear when an incandescent bulb blows,....only like a gigantic incandescent bulb lol 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

We've all been there especially here in central Fl. we get lighting almost daily. I've smelled the burning wood of a tree hit by lighting less than 100 ft. from me scare the living crap out of me.

A little side joke always carry a one iron cause even God can't hit a one iron.....................

Iron-ically, wasn't Mr. Trevino was actually struck?

6 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Not many feelings worse than having someone steal from you..........my Ping Anser is my favorite putter❤

Great putter I got about 50 putters with Anser being in the group

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes but did he have a one iron

No earthly

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Great putter I got about 50 putters with Anser being in the group

Holy cow!!! I love the way it lines up over the ball and 36inch shaft perfet for my height?

Archived