Hunting With Eagles in Mongolia

around4ever

It's not really associated with Auburn football but we are the War Eagles, right?  😂  This was a 60 Minutes episode Sunday.  It is very interesting to see this way of hunting that is thousands of years old and they still hunt this way today. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lauren-mcgough-how-an-oklahoma-woman-learned-to-fly-like-an-eagle-in-mongolia-60-minutes/

16 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I had no idea a Golden Eagle could take down a fox....that's one badass bird.

giphy.gif

Look bro if they can take down an elephant then a fox should be easy...😁

I looked into this a couple years ago.  It looks like an awesome experience but the overall cost is like $25k.  

You fly into Ulan Bator, then car ride a few hours, then those little horse ride a few more hours, then stay in the hut type houses and then hunt for a day or 2.  I care nothing for the kills but the images of the bird after their prey in full battle gear would be awesome.

Another interesting fact about Mongolia is that even tho they are a land locked country they do have a Navy.  It contains 1 vessel and is a ferry boat on one of the National Park lakes.  

:blink:  Gotta keep a closer eye on my dogs in the back yard.   We have raptors of all types here and I always thought they were mostly harmless.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

:blink:  Gotta keep a closer eye on my dogs in the back yard.   We have raptors of all types here and I always thought they were mostly harmless.

My mom has a small dog, hawk tried to grab him one day in the back yard. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

My mom has a small dog, hawk tried to grab him one day in the back yard. 

Gotta watch Owls for real.  Used to have one in my back yard.  It would be in the top of a tree and not make a sound on the free fall and swoop in and snatch a ground squirrel and then fly back up to the top of a tree.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Gotta watch Owls for real.  Used to have one in my back yard.  It would be in the top of a tree and not make a sound on the free fall and swoop in and snatch a ground squirrel and then fly back up to the top of a tree.  

Dang, that would be awesome to see! 

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I've got hawks and eagles doing it around my yard all the time.  Too many rabbits and squirrels.  The birds and foxes leave feathers, pelts and entrails all over the damn place.  Means I have to wash the dogs all the time because they're pocket beagles and they just love getting into the mess. 

I kept reading the title as Hunting with Eagles on Magnolia and bypassed the topic. 

I never would have thought an eagle would kill something as large as a goat either. Figured most of their prey would be rabbit sized.

I saw the darnest thing at the golf course this spring. I was on the #1 fairway and a gigantic hawk dived and swooped by me from my left side across the fairway and no more than 2 feet off the ground. When it reached the tree lined rough on my right side, it suddenly ascended straight up along side a tall pine tree and picked a squirrel that was, frozen still, while coming down the tree.  I guess you always thought to look up when trying to spot a hawk, but this time it was flying nap of the earth coming from a steep dive all the way across the fairway.   Needless to say, I was spellbound at both the size of this bird and the cunning.

My uncle lost a yorkie a few years ago. He didn’t see what happened. Had a fenced back yard because coyotes. Found the yorkie carcass next day under a couple oaks about 400 yards into the pasture been picked at like a hawk would. 

We have hawks in our area, I’m out side one day and a hawk caught my eye.  He swooped down and plucked a snake off the ground.  Pretty impressive, his next move was to grab his head in one talon and filet it as the other talon ripped the meat from the bones. He dropped the skeleton and flew to the next.  Amazing stuff.

Archived