Brown Liquor Time

fredst

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Rest assured I will not distribute that, but I'm grateful you shared it, and I can't imagine being that close to those bears. I saw several during my summer in Glacier but never got very close to them. I don't usually get scared of animals, but grizzly bears are just a different situation altogether. They killed 4 people in the park the summer I was up there. One even wandered into a crowded picnic ground and killed a couple people. Including the guy that was trying to fight it off with a "tree". (That's how it was reported... that some guy picked up a tree and tried to hit the bear with it. So the bear killed him.) 

Yeah, those Alaska fish-eaters behave differently than Montana bears. The photographer/fisherman is from Bozeman and even said “This is incredible, I would never get within 300 yards of a Montana grizzly”.....and neither would I. The times I’ve been in Yellowstone/Tetons/Glacier I’ve loved it but been constantly afraid of a grizzly encounter (or, in Glacier and maybe worse, a mountain lion)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, those Alaska fish-eaters behave differently than Montana bears. The photographer/fisherman is from Bozeman and even said “This is incredible, I would never get within 300 yards of a Montana grizzly”.....and neither would I. The times I’ve been in Yellowstone/Tetons/Glacier I’ve loved it but been constantly afraid of a grizzly encounter (or, in Glacier and maybe worse, a mountain lion)

Okay, that's good to know. And very interesting. Maybe they're just stoned, fat and happy on a steady supply of salmon and trout? Of course, even the marmots in Glacier are tough. 

I don't remember mountain lions being discussed much. But now I'm glad. It was enough being scared of the bears.

Solo trip to the Alaskan wilderness. Damn. That's awesome. I am so happy that you got to do that. Alaska's one of the 7 states I've yet to check off. 

On 1/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Customer opened up a couple of bottles he purchased at the store. Barrel New Year and Barrel Armida. Both were amazing. Not usually big on sourced bourbons at all, but Barrel does it great every time. 

Armida was super interesting and complex. I hate that I slept on it. It’s a spirit that is more of an experience than it is just something you throw in a glass. If you like interesting bourbon, buy it. 

Armida is a blend of three Straight Bourbon Whiskeys finished separately in Pear Brandy, Jamaican Rum, and Sicilian Amaro Casks.”

https://www.barrellbourbon.com/armida

In your experience, are the various Barrel options hard to find? Sounds like you think anything in their line is worth consideration if the price is reasonable. I've seen Barrel mentioned several times recently in various articles but haven't tried any of them. Was in the Destin area this weekend and a store had 4 of their offerings, but I didn't buy any of them. Should have taken a picture of the bottles & prices to research further & see if prices were good.

Same store had 1 bottle of the Alberta Cask Strength Rye that has picked up a few awards over the last year. I grabbed it.

Another store in the area had around 20 bottles of Blantons. I almost never see it; couldn't believe they had so many. Selling it at $170 though...might explain why they had so much. I passed on it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Another store in the area had around 20 bottles of Blantons. I almost never see it; couldn't believe they had so many. Selling it at $170 though...might explain why they had so much. I passed on it. 

Blanton's is good at MSRP. Anything much more than that is a crime. 

32 minutes ago, marsbold said:

In your experience, are the various Barrel options hard to find? Sounds like you think anything in their line is worth consideration if the price is reasonable. I've seen Barrel mentioned several times recently in various articles but haven't tried any of them. Was in the Destin area this weekend and a store had 4 of their offerings, but I didn't buy any of them. Should have taken a picture of the bottles & prices to research further & see if prices were good.

Same store had 1 bottle of the Alberta Cask Strength Rye that has picked up a few awards over the last year. I grabbed it.

Barrel is pretty readily available around here. We usually have at least one SKU of theirs on the shelf at all times(right now we just have Dovetail). Their prices are usually around $70 and up. 

And definitely a hard pass on the Blanton’s at that price. That’s robbery. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, that's good to know. And very interesting. Maybe they're just stoned, fat and happy on a steady supply of salmon and trout? Of course, even the marmots in Glacier are tough. 

I don't remember mountain lions being discussed much. But now I'm glad. It was enough being scared of the bears.

Solo trip to the Alaskan wilderness. Damn. That's awesome. I am so happy that you got to do that. Alaska's one of the 7 states I've yet to check off. 

It was incredible. Definitely a “bucket list” trip (as much as I hate that phrase, lol)

• Love 1

Got this for the birthday from my neighbors. For those that like Islay it is worth trying. Has some peat but not overwhelming. Like a light Islay, if there is such a thing. Not sure the cost but worth exploring IMO

F7E7D9DF-9C17-43D9-89E5-7AAE571723C2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Picked these up at various stores in South GA yesterday. Seems like I consistently find things in GA that I can't find in Dothan area & that I hear are just generally hard to get in AL. My perception may be wrong, but something about the liquor market in AL seems off (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places and I definitely don't have any connections). However, thought I would pass this along for those close to GA or consistently in GA. I've found some other nice bottles in GA over the last year.

Now have to decide which bottle to open first!

721354418_Whiskeypic.thumb.jpg.4de37f2a32171385cbb2d2790c3fc160.jpg

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Picked these up at various stores in South GA yesterday. Seems like I consistently find things in GA that I can't find in Dothan area & that I hear are just generally hard to get in AL. My perception may be wrong, but something about the liquor market in AL seems off (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places and I definitely don't have any connections). However, thought I would pass this along for those close to GA or consistently in GA. I've found some other nice bottles in GA over the last year.

Where in S. GA? I'm guessing on the western side of the state?

How much did you pay for the Weller, if you don't mind me asking?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Where in S. GA? I'm guessing on the western side of the state?

How much did you pay for the Weller, if you don't mind me asking?

All the stores were southwest GA. Around the Albany to Blakely areas. Pretty sure the Weller was in Blakely. It was $42 or $44. I've picked up several bottles of it around GA in last few months, one it Atlanta area other in Clayton (NE GA), and it seems to always be in the $40-45 range. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marsbold said:

All the stores were southwest GA. Around the Albany to Blakely areas. Pretty sure the Weller was in Blakely. It was $42 or $44. I've picked up several bottles of it around GA in last few months, one it Atlanta area other in Clayton (NE GA), and it seems to always be in the $40-45 range. 

Sigh. Just 4 years ago I could get it anytime I wanted at MSRP.

9 hours ago, marsbold said:

Nice. Can’t go wrong with any of those....

On 4/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, McLoofus said:

Sigh. Just 4 years ago I could get it anytime I wanted at MSRP.

Still $27.99 at my store. If you want me to snag you a bottle with my discount, I can do. We get a BT (Weller SR, Eagle Rare, Blanton’s, EH Taylor Small Batch) drop every month.

Would trade for beer if you want. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 11:13 AM, marsbold said:

Alabama liquor is run by the state. That’s what’s “off” about their selections. They determine the allocations and I’m sure there’s some greasing of palms and buddy-buddy type sheisty s*** going on. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 2:49 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Alabama liquor is run by the state. That’s what’s “off” about their selections. They determine the allocations and I’m sure there’s some greasing of palms and buddy-buddy type sheisty s*** going on. 

Yes, this is why I shop liquor stores every time I leave the state. I need to make more trips to Nashville. Hoping like heck bills pass to allow home shipments 

Edit: Bills passed and signed into law, go into effect in October. My bourbon life just got better I think

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yes, this is why I shop liquor stores every time I leave the state. I need to make more trips to Nashville. Hoping like heck bills pass to allow home shipments 

Edit: Bills passed and signed into law, go into effect in October. My bourbon life just got better I think

But they still can’t legalize medical marijuana for those that need it. 🙄

I want alcohol shipment to Tennessee as well strictly to get beer from breweries I have no access to. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I want alcohol shipment to Tennessee as well strictly to get beer from breweries I have no access to. 

Alabama just pushed forward on medical. Good for them.

As for beer and shipping, you mentioned a possible trade recently. Been meaning to get back to you. I'm not sure what I can get that you can't- you mentioned Humble Forager, I think?- but let me know and let's work something out if you're still interested. And we don't have to line it up time-wise. I can ship now and you can ship whenever, etc.

Sorry if I'm cluttering or TMIing, but I feel like we're all family for real in this space.

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for beer and shipping, you mentioned a possible trade recently. Been meaning to get back to you. I'm not sure what I can get that you can't- you mentioned Humble Forager, I think?- but let me know and let's work something out if you're still interested. And we don't have to line it up time-wise. I can ship now and you can ship whenever, etc.

Sorry if I'm cluttering or TMIing, but I feel like we're all family for real in this space.

Are you still in ATL mostly or...?

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Are you still in ATL mostly or...?

Hilton Head, but I commute to Savannah so I get a lot of ATL stuff. It's not a bad setup because there's some gangster stuff coming out of Charleston these days, and SC doesn't have the ABV limit on beer so I get some of the crazy stuff from Avery and DFH on occasion. But I don't get everything that's available in ATL. 

My brother in law (ATL, much more tuned in and dedicated beer nerd than me) will be down in July and I could ask him to mule some stuff down if you have any specific requests. Decent chance I had that way before then, too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hilton Head, but I commute to Savannah so I get a lot of ATL stuff. It's not a bad setup because there's some gangster stuff coming out of Charleston these days, and SC doesn't have the ABV limit on beer so I get some of the crazy stuff from Avery and DFH on occasion. But I don't get everything that's available in ATL. 

My brother in law (ATL, much more tuned in and dedicated beer nerd than me) will be down in July and I could ask him to mule some stuff down if you have any specific requests. Decent chance I had that way before then, too. 

Toppling Goliath (Pseudo Sue, King Sue, etc.) and stuff from Brewing Projekt are two of the main ones that land in ATL that I’m wanting. And yes, to Humble Forager. I’ve also heard that the hazys  from Wild Leap have been bangers too. 

We get both Westbrook and Edmund’s Oast here. Solid breweries. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Toppling Goliath (Pseudo Sue, King Sue, etc.) and stuff from Brewing Projekt are two of the main ones that land in ATL that I’m wanting. And yes, to Humble Forager. 

We get both Westbrook and Edmund’s Oast here. Solid breweries. 

I get TG- including the two you specified- down here. Not sure about Brewing Projekt but I'll check when I make my weekend run later. I see they're out of Wisconsin. My spot arranges beers by region so I already know where to look. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I get TG- including the two you specified- down here. Not sure about Brewing Projekt but I'll check when I make my weekend run later. I see they're out of Wisconsin. My spot arranges beers by region so I already know where to look. 

Awesome. And you were just looking for Weller? I can get Blanton’s or Eagle Rare as well (they land the same day as Weller), however, I can only get one bottle of any of those. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:
11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Expand  

Not sure what y’all are talking about. Nobody in AL is doing Mary Jane.....except aufifty🤔...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Awesome. And you were just looking for Weller? I can get Blanton’s or Eagle Rare as well (they land the same day as Weller), however, I can only get one bottle of any of those. 

If you can get Blanton's at MSRP, then I might have to take you up on that. Let me check a couple spots locally and see what they have and don't have and what prices are like. There's a new place that has some nicer bottles, but I think they might be gougey. 

• Like 1

• Members Online