Brown Liquor Time

fredst

We went and picked out a new barrel of Blue Note(Memphis...uhh “distillery”). It’s a barrel house, they blend 20 barrels for their 9 Year Old batches. There’s 7k barrels in the warehouse, mostly Dickel, but we saw some ultra young Greenbrier barrels, as well as Starlight. We were presented with four 9 years old ~124 proof Dickel selections, and the one we picked drinks like Basil Hayden(80proof), but with a decent lingering finish. 

rMmCsYW.jpg

rKQwhN3.jpg

ameWq3r.jpg

ImZln28.jpg

lzgkSP4.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bottle of EC Toasted Barrel for this weekend and today.  Really nice 

On 10/17/2020 at 7:46 AM, aubearcat said:

I have a bottle of EC Toasted Barrel for this weekend and today.  Really nice 

So jelly. Have been wanting that one.......

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

From one of our regular spots in our old hood in ATL

Screenshot_20201106-195557.png

Some allocated stuff hit here too. William Larue, GTS, Handy, and I think Sazerac all came in today. No Van Winkle stuff or Eagle Rare yet. Earliest we’ve ever gotten it. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 7:03 PM, McLoofus said:

From one of our regular spots in our old hood in ATL

Screenshot_20201106-195557.png

Ate at a spot in NoLA yesterday that had all the PVW expressions available. The 15, my personal favorite, was $23/pour which in these bourbon times is pretty reasonable. Was tempted but passed since I was having brunch and it was only 1100

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fredst said:

Ate at a spot in NoLA yesterday that had all the PVW expressions available. The 15, my personal favorite, was $23/pour which in these bourbon times is pretty reasonable. Was tempted but passed since I was having brunch and it was only 1100

I want to know everything. But you shared that you were comfortable sharing. So I won't press.

*Drops to knees, throws head back with anguished face, shakes fists at the sky*

NOLAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I want to know everything. But you shared that you were comfortable sharing. So I won't press.

*Drops to knees, throws head back with anguished face, shakes fists at the sky*

NOLAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha. First trip to NoLA in a couple of years. Wife met me at back end of a redfishing trip. Fishing was total 💩 but NoLA was good. Ate at Herbsaint, La Petite Grocery, and Galatoire’s (an oldie but goodie, mainly for nostalgia)- lots of good food and drink. Also, the WWII museum is excellent each time I go. Interestingly, stopped at a gas station outside NoLA on way to Venice-mainly to void but it also said “Discount Liquor”- and scored a bottle of Blantons (which I have a hard time finding here in AL) and tosasted barrel Elijah Craig that were both on the shelf. Wife was disappointed that my trip was a net positive on bourbon (I took a bottle for us to consume during the fishing portion of the trip)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We did a general release for non-bourbon club members of our staff selected Eagle Rare, Blanton’s, and WFP last night. Had about 80 people in line when we launched. Sold out in 30 minutes except a handful of Blanton’s pints. Got phone calls all day today about it. 🙄

TIw3yj8.jpg

I got my WFP a couple days before. It’s so good. I shared too much of it...so it’ll go sit again for a while. 

7MMDSsl.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

$25k worth of bourbon(retail). I didn’t buy anything during the drawing, but picked up a Nikka From the Barrel that was leftover and put on the shelf. 

XQgvbdF.jpg

qo5WUKK.jpg

TPBAatr.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

That’s an awful lot of good whiskey. I have to admit I love the Midwinters...dessert in a glass. Always love the EHT single. Of course, I’d take any of that counter full of unicorns...

On 12/13/2020 at 12:33 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

$25k worth of bourbon(retail). I didn’t buy anything during the drawing, but picked up a Nikka From the Barrel that was leftover and put on the shelf. 

XQgvbdF.jpg

qo5WUKK.jpg

TPBAatr.jpg

Jesus.

Have you tried this year's OF Birthday? Not that I'll ever see it in my area, and if I did, it would be priced super gougey.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jesus.

Have you tried this year's OF Birthday? Not that I'll ever see it in my area, and if I did, it would be priced super gougey.

Nope, and unfortunately no one that I know bought it. I tried it last year and it was awesome. One of my coworkers got an Eagle Rare 17, and I’ve been dogging her to bring it up to work and crack it because I’ve never had it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fredst said:

That’s an awful lot of good whiskey. I have to admit I love the Midwinters...dessert in a glass. Always love the EHT single. Of course, I’d take any of that counter full of unicorns...

MND is also a pretty good price in comparison to the rest of that lot at around $100. 

Had a bottle of the Eagle 17 once and it was good but not outstanding, probably around the 2010 or so version. Is that the wheated 1792? Have you tried that whiskey? Cannot find it anywhere I’ve looked...

• Like 1

Won't bother you with the details about how I decided to buy this. It's different, sweet, and hot, as one might expect, but pleasantly so in all three respects. You definitely taste everything on the label, although I get the cabernet the least. Don't know if I love it- maybe?- but I'm compelled to keep sipping and contemplating the different things going on. I just wanted interesting and it is that.

PXL_20201221_011746782.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 8:07 AM, fredst said:

Had a bottle of the Eagle 17 once and it was good but not outstanding, probably around the 2010 or so version. Is that the wheated 1792? Have you tried that whiskey? Cannot find it anywhere I’ve looked...

I think we had the Wheated and 12 Year out there. I haven’t tried either that I can recall. 

On 12/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, McLoofus said:

Won't bother you with the details about how I decided to buy this. It's different, sweet, and hot, as one might expect, but pleasantly so in all three respects. You definitely taste everything on the label, although I get the cabernet the least. Don't know if I love it- maybe?- but I'm compelled to keep sipping and contemplating the different things going on. I just wanted interesting and it is that.

I had that last year and thought it was great. 

• Like 1

I think all of the Barrell releases have been solid, some outstanding

• Like 1

Ok. Just had Christmas visit with the neighbors and he said “I just got a bottle I want you to try”. It was this. Absolutely delicious, looking for myself now

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

Ok. Just had Christmas visit with the neighbors and he said “I just got a bottle I want you to try”. It was this. Absolutely delicious, looking for myself now

Glad you liked it but holy crap that is one super rando coincidence. 

• Like 1

I've been lurking on this site for 15 years going back to AU Nation, mostly to see if I can find any football news. Just saw the clubs & this Beer and Spirits group in the last few days...love this topic. Read all 19 pages a few days ago! I've contributed a grand total of nothing to the football forums, and I'm not sure I can add a whole lot here other than I'm jealous of the stuff ShocksMyBrain can get his hands on. However, I love whisky and hopefully can make a few comments here & there. 
Since it's a smaller group, I'll introduce myself a little further. 2001 AU grad living in Dothan, AL. Have no connections or sources in the liquor world. Only shopping I do is at liquor stores; love visiting stores in the area and anywhere I travel to see if I can find something interesting. It's like a treasure hunt that I usually fail at. Prefer scotch to american whiskey but I keep a lot of both at home. Also have a bunch of gin and amaro. Posting pics of the american whiskey & scotch whisky I'm currently drinking. Hopefully these are decent enough bottles to lend me a little credence in this group and at least keep me off the ignore lists!

scotch.jpg

whiskey.jpg

• Like 1

And now that I've officially introduced myself, I'll put my first question to the group. This may have been somewhat covered in the last 19 pages, but I can't remember what I read a few days back.

What's your go to whiskey in the $20-$40 range? I burn through the cheap bottles while holding back more expensive or harder to find bottles for the occasional drink. I like the Weller SR (but of course rarely see it), find that Old Grand Dad bottled in bond is pretty solid at $20-25, and recently finished a bottle of Legent that I'll probably replace. Crown and coke got me into whiskey and I still keep a bottle of Crown around at all times...may have just killed any iota of credibility I had.