2021 Softball Recruiting Thread

On 11/9/2020 at 10:12 AM, steeleagle said:

Louisiana-Lafayette? Are they a softball powerhouse? 

Great to see us 2nd. Now the 2021 class is not signed yet, right? These are just rankings of commits...?

This link should give you an idea.  https://ragincajuns.com/news/2020/9/17/louisiana-softball-ranked-no-16-on-d1softball-list-of-top-college-programs.aspx

In addition to the #1 recruiting class, Glasco just got transfers Justice Milz and Ciara Bryan from Georgia.  They were both starters there, I think.  I have not, however, found mention of the pitcher from Oregon that I mentioned earlier.  The middle infielders are transfers from Oklahoma (Alyssa Dalton) and aTm (Caitlyn Alderink).  They have 6-8 D1 transfers.  Don't know how he's doing it, but Glasco isn't kidding around.

• Like 2

Megan Kleist is the pitcher from Oregon that I had reference to earlier.  Checking the records, she did pitch for the Cajuns during the 2020 season, compiling a 7-5 record with a 2.31 ERA.  When she transferred, she talked about losing some of her love for the game during the player exodus from Oregon in 2019.  So I'm guessing she played out her eligibility in 2020 and chose not to return for the extra year.  ULL still has an All-American pitcher in Summer Ellyson.

https://justinsworldsb.com/2020/11/13/a-candid-sitdown-with-gerry-glasco/

This is some additional stuff about Glasco and the Ragin' Cajuns program.  Mentions how they are able to "supplement" some of the out of state players if they maintain certain academic standards.  Notice he also mentions the rabid fan base.

Maybe we need another thread titled "Other Softball Programs".  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slot canyon said:

https://justinsworldsb.com/2020/11/13/a-candid-sitdown-with-gerry-glasco/

This is some additional stuff about Glasco and the Ragin' Cajuns program.  Mentions how they are able to "supplement" some of the out of state players if they maintain certain academic standards.  Notice he also mentions the rabid fan base.

Maybe we need another thread titled "Other Softball Programs".  

Others are doing this, and AU could too in baseball and softball. The catch is (1) the player has to qualify for academic scholarship assistance with out regard to playing a sport. (2) the school administration has to be on board. As I understand it, we do have some baseball/softball players with grades good enough for academic assistance but so far the administration isn't going along with it. Why not, I can't imagine.

• Thanks 2

• ellitor pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, slot canyon said:

Recent post on the 2020 SB recruiting topic.  I will add players I have on a list from earlier this year.  As far as I can tell they are still committed.

2021 1B/3B Bri Ellis just committed to Auburn. She was a former Texas A&M commit.

From the info I could find on her, in her two years and 60 total games of H.S. softball she has a BA of .414, 25 HR’s, and 82 RBI’s. 

Also one 2018 FloSoftball article said that Ellis hit 7 home runs in 10 games at the 2018 Tulsa Elite Shootout.

My Additions:

Abbey Smith, utility

Aubrey Barnhart, C/3B

Aubrie Lisenby, C (Thunderbolts)

Jessie Blaine, C

keri Munn, P

Riley McNemar 2B/1B

Rose Roach, SS/utility

Rylie Moody, SS/2B

Kendal Calvert, OF

We need a pitcher to commit to us and we need to land a transfer pitcher in the 2021 class sense Lexi is leaving and Graduating

1 hour ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

We need to get a Pitcher in the 2022 commit class and get one in 2021 as a transfer sense Lexi is leaving and Graduating

Not sure what Lexi will do but I am pretty sure she will have another year of eligibility after this year because this year or last year does not count against eligibility because of Covid. Therefore, with 4 or 5 on roster, barring a few injuries I don't think we need any pitchers in the 2021 class.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure what Lexi will do but I am pretty sure she will have another year of eligibility after this year because this year or last year does not count against eligibility because of Covid. Therefore, with 4 or 5 on roster, barring a few injuries I don't think we need any pitchers in the 2021 class.

Agree.  If Lexi can improve her control and keep her speed, she will be very valuable.  Also could improve her off speed stuff.  Not sure why he didn't pitch Sam Y last weekend.  Maybe saving her for USCe this weekend?  The 2 freshman who pitched last week will be Thunder and Lightning by the time they finish here.  Dismukes looked pretty sharp as well.  I can't see another top high school pitcher coming here next year with the staff we have now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

We need to get a Pitcher in the 2022 commit class and get one in 2021 as a transfer sense Lexi is leaving and Graduating

I believe we have 2 pitchers committed  to date in the 2022 class, Rolfe and Insco.  

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Agree.  If Lexi can improve her control and keep her speed, she will be very valuable.  Also could improve her off speed stuff.  Not sure why he didn't pitch Sam Y last weekend.  Maybe saving her for USCe this weekend?  The 2 freshman who pitched last week will be Thunder and Lightning by the time they finish here.  Dismukes looked pretty sharp as well.  I can't see another top high school pitcher coming here next year with the staff we have now.

Regarding Handley and Yarbrough, in interview after game 3 with SEMO, CMD basically said they were not pitching as well as the other pitchers during the prior week practice and they were going to approach each game as though it would be their last game.  I agree that it may be difficult to get a high ranked pitcher to attend due to current pitching staff depth.  

Edited by slot canyon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I rather not we can do better I love Lexi but that’s the pass we are signing top 2 recruiting classes now

23 minutes ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

I rather not we can do better I love Lexi but that’s the pass we are signing top 2 recruiting classes now

Even if she leaves we still have 4 quality arms. Most softball teams only need a 2 or 3 woman staff if the pitchers are quality. Barring injury or transfers out we are good on pitching at least through next season. Also given Dean's reputation with pitchers I am fully confident he can land a high quality transfer if & when the need arises.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Even if she leaves we still have 4 quality arms. Most softball teams only need a 2 or 3 woman staff if the pitchers are quality. Barring injury or transfers out we are good on pitching at least through next season. Also given Dean's reputation with pitchers I am fully confident he can land a high quality transfer if & when the need arises.

Not if you want to win a national championship tho you need 5

5 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

We need a pitcher to commit to us and we need to land a transfer pitcher in the 2021 class sense Lexi is leaving and Graduating

Keri munn 

5 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Keri munn i don’t think is still committed tho she didn’t sign with us 

Just now, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Not if you want to win a national championship tho you need 5

With all do respect since when? I don't ever remember a softball national champion using more than 3 pitchers in the championship tournament run much less using 5.  We  are talking softball here, not baseball.

1 minute ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Keri munn i don’t think is still committed tho she didn’t sign with us 

Covered earlier in the thread.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With all do respect since when? I don't ever remember a softball national champion using more than 3 pitchers in the championship tournament run much less using 5.  We  are talking softball here, not baseball.

What if someone gets injured tho 

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I specifically remember Paige Parker running the gauntlet of the WCWS, all except game 2 (which gave them the series win by resting her. I think we win if she pitched game 2). Started every game, and darn near pitched every inning. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I specifically remember Paige Parker running the gauntlet of the WCWS, all except game 2 (which gave them the series win by resting her. I think we win if she pitched game 2). Started every game, and darn near pitched every inning. 

I can’t think of any team that’s made it to the WCWS and had a staff of 5 pitchers and used all of them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blakem said:

I can’t think of any team that’s made it to the WCWS and had a staff of 5 pitchers and used all of them.

Yea, not sure of the obsession here.  I would like 5, but not the end of the world if we don't.  I love the staff we have.  Actually balanced from right and left side of the circle with speed pitchers and finesse pitchers. 

• Like 2

W

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yea, not sure of the obsession here.  I would like 5, but not the end of the world if we don't.  I love the staff we have.  Actually balanced from right and left side of the circle with speed pitchers and finesse pitchers. 

100% agree.  Case in point.  When Alabama won the 2012 WCWS, Jackie Traina pitched every game in the WCWS and Alabama had 3 pitchers on the roster.  In the final series, all 3 games were pitched by Traina and Keilani Ricketts.  During the regular season, 3 or 4 pitchers are enough.  It's nice to have a different starting pitcher for each game of an SEC series, but not absolute.  The big thing is saving arms to be sharp during tournament time, but 5 top pitchers?  There isn't a program in the country with that much depth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

What if someone gets injured tho 

That is always a possibility (Makayla Martin and Ashley Swindle for instance) and can have a major impact on your season.  It would be a real luxury to have 4 or 5 top rated pitchers on staff just in case.  However, I believe top rated pitchers want to go where they are the starting pitchers or at least the # 2 option.  If you are a very good pitcher you are not likely going to go somewhere with the prospect of being the number 3 or 4 pitching option or waiting to get "promoted" due to an injury.  I believe we currently have elevated the quality of our pitching staff this year in terms of quality numbers.  If the other two pitchers step forward all the better.  However, I suspect all of these players want the ball in their hands and there are just so many innings available.  I mentioned in a previous post topic that SEMO had 9 players listed as pitchers with six being P/Inf.  They used 4 in the three games against AU .  Two pitched 6.1 innings each while the others pitched 2 and 1.1 innings.  So 5 players, listed as potential pitchers did not get to throw.  For our part, Penta threw 12 innings (era 0), Lowe threw 5.1 innings (era1.31) and Dismukes threw 1.2 innings.  Penta seems very driven as I suspect is the case for them all.  In a post game interview she said she came to throw against SEC competition and in the CWS.  Lets hope all of our pitchers will have an opportunity to contribute.  Another note is that Penta and Dismukes were  very good hitters in high school and don't be surprised if one or both don't get some at bats. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I think the bigger need the next couple of years is continue to improve the offense to compliment the pitching we should get.

• Like 1