here is another I can't breath......

aubiefifty

yahoo.com

Yahoo

Reid Nakamura

5-6 minutes

A&E has pulled the plug on its popular “Live P.D.” police show amid the ongoing George Floyd protests, two days after Texas media reported that the show had destroyed footage of a man being arrested and dying in custody in March 2019.

“This is a critical time in our nation’s history and we have made the decision to cease production on Live PD,” the network said in a statement on Wednesday. “Going forward, we will determine if there is a clear pathway to tell the stories of both the community and the police officers whose role it is to serve them. And with that, we will be meeting with community and civil rights leaders as well as police departments.”

The decision to send the show into retirement comes two days after the Austin American-Statesman and KVUE-TV  broke the story that during a shoot in 2019, “Live P.D.” cameras recorded sheriff’s deputies tasing 40-year-old Javier Ambler while he begged for his life. The man died. The show later destroyed the footage.

Also Read: New Episodes of 'Live PD', 'Cops' Pulled Amid George Floyd Protests

The network said in a statement to the Statesman that “video of the tragic death of Javier Ambler was captured by body cams worn on the officers involved as well by the producers of Live PD who were riding with certain officers involved.”

As for the destroyed footage, the network told the Statesman “as is the case with all footage taken by Live PD producers, we no longer retained the unaired footage after learning that the investigation had concluded.” The footage never aired, the network said.

The show’s host and executive producer Dan Abrams reacted to the news on Twitter, writing, “Shocked & beyond disappointed about this. To the loyal #LivePDNation please know I, we, did everything we could to fight for you, and for our continuing effort at transparency in policing. I was convinced the show would go on.”

According to the Statesman, deputies attempted to pull Ambler over because he hadn’t dimmed the headlights on his vehicle, which turned into a 20-minute car chase. After Ambler was apprehended, he was held down and repeatedly tased by officers even as he told them he had congestive heart failure and pleaded “save me,” according to to an internal investigative report the Statesman obtained under the Texas Public Information Act.

The paper detailed the struggle and Ambler’s last moments: 

“I am not resisting,” Ambler cries. “Sir, I can’t breathe. … Please. … Please.”

The deputies, who are on top of Ambler, continue yelling at him to put his arms behind his back.

“Save me,” Ambler cries.

“Do what we’re asking you to do!” a deputy yells.

“I can’t,” Ambler says, the last words the video captures from him just before one of the deputies deploys his Taser a fourth and final time at 1:47 a.m.

The case is under investigation, but investigators say that “Live PD” producers “have repeatedly stonewalled their efforts to obtain evidence or interviews with the officers involved,” the Statesman said.

A&E didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment from TheWrap.

Also Read: Jim Carrey Gives Buffalo Cops a Cartoon Beating After Injury of 75-Year-Old Protester

The move follows a decision by Paramount Network to cancel the long-running “Cops” ahead of its 33rd season earlier this week.

Last week, A&E pulled two episodes of “Live PD” from its schedule in response to the anti-police protests taking place across the nation in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis in May. At the time, the network said the decision was made “out of respect for the families of George Floyd and others who have lost their lives.”

Earlier in the week, Abrams assured the show’s fans that it would be back soon, writing on Twitter, “To all of you asking whether #LivePD coming back. . .The answer is yes. All of us associated with the show are as committed to it as ever. We are still discussing some specifics but I want to assure the #LivePDNation that we are not abandoning you.”

“Live P.D.” had been a success for A&E since its debut. Just over a month ago, the network picked up 160 more episodes of the series to air throughout the 2020-21 season.

Also Read: A&E Orders 160 More 'Live PD' Episodes, History Renews Both 'Built America' Series

“Live PD” is produced by Big Fish Entertainment for A&E. Dan Cesareo, Lucilla D’Agostino and John Zito executive produce for Big Fish, while for A&E Network, executive producers are Elaine Frontain Bryant, Shelly Tatro, Sean Gottlieb and Brad Abramson.

Read original story ‘Live P.D.’ Canceled at A&E After Network Admits Show Filmed In-Custody Death, Destroyed Footage At TheWrap

yahoo.com

Yahoo

EMILY SHAPIRO

4-5 minutes

The family of a 24-year-old who drowned while police looked on, instead of coming to his aid, are outraged after seeing the events unfold on body camera video.

Officers with the police department in Decherd, Tennessee, right outside of Winchester, were in a car pursuit in the early morning hours of June 4, trying to pull over Johnny Baldwin for a minor traffic violation, Winchester Police Chief Richard Lewis told ABC News on Wednesday.

As Baldwin drove down a dead end, Winchester police joined Decherd officers in the pursuit at 1:43 a.m., according to a Winchester Police incident report.

Baldwin then fled on foot, and as the Winchester officers searched the area, they heard something in the water nearby, the report said.

MORE: Cities across US announce police reform following mass protests against brutality

Officers reached the edge of Tims Ford Lake and saw Baldwin halfway across, the report said.

"I gave him orders to stop and swim back towards us, which he did," an officer said in the report.

Baldwin was about 10 feet from the lake's bank when "he stopped coming closer and just floated there for a second," the officer wrote.

Baldwin would "go under water and pop back up several times but would never proceed to the edge where we could get him." Then he "went under water one last time and never came back up," the officer wrote.

"He ends up drowning, which is an extremely sad situation," Lewis told ABC News. "We have released our body camera and we have caught absolute hell for it."

The body camera video shows Baldwin swimming and an officer calling him "dumb" for jumping in.

PHOTO: The family of a 24-year-old who drowned while police looked on, instead of coming to his aid, are outraged after seeing the events unfold on body camera video. (WKRN)

"Don't go in there with him, he's going to pull you in," one officer said, according to ABC Nashville affiliate WKRN.

"He's doing it on purpose," an officer said.

MORE: Family members, dignitaries honor George Floyd at funeral service in Houston

Two Winchester police officers were at the scene at the lake as well as two Decherd police officers, Lewis said. Decherd was the lead agency for the pursuit, Lewis said.

Decherd's police chief did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.

The body camera video "sent straight anger through me, because I know what kind of person that he is," Baldwin's cousin, Destiny Baldwin, told ABC News. "They treated him very, very unfairly."

She says she thinks the officers at the scene of his death should be fired, lose their badges and face charges.

"It's a part of your job to protect and serve the community. It just seemed like in that case with JJ that wasn't it. It was more of, 'Do I know this person? Is he armed? He's faking it.' Stuff that a cop on duty shouldn't ask," she said.

Baldwin, who went by JJ, "was always there whenever you needed something," she said. "Very happy and outgoing person, and very loving person."

Chief Lewis defended the actions of his two officers at the scene and said they "made the right decision."

One of those officers could not swim, Lewis told ABC News, and the second officer was taking off his gear to get in, but the first Winchester officer stopped him.

"We are not trained in water rescue -- we do not possess the gear to do that," Lewis said. "You've got to have a flotation device tied off somewhere to the bank where they can rescue you if something happens."

The rescue squad and dive team were en route before Baldwin drowned, the incident report said.

Lewis also noted that it was the middle of the night and pitch-black on the shore of the lake, with the exception of their flashlights.

The lake is in a wooded, overgrown area, where it's unclear how deep the water is. Officers were also concerned whether Baldwin would engage in a struggle with police considering he had already fled, according to Lewis.

"That's the reason we didn't jump in," Lewis said. "If my officer got in there and got tied up with him [and got pulled under,] it's just a bad situation." 

Man drowns as officers look on without coming to his aid, family wants them fired originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

I live in the county where the LIVE PD thing happened.  People are calling for the Sheriff's head.  By the way, he's been a douchebag for a long time.  Not at all surprised this happened under his watch and that he's stonewalling investigators.

i miss the show. there were some great officers on there and it could get pretty wild. i waqtched a three hundred pound man jump through a plate glass window and i remember thinking i am glad i am just an old hippy.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i miss the show. there were some great officers on there and it could get pretty wild. i waqtched a three hundred pound man jump through a plate glass window and i remember thinking i am glad i am just an old hippy.

I saw yesterday where they cancelled "Cops". 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

They're even going after Paw Patrol. And no, that's not a joke. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts/television/protests-fictional-cops.html

Only a matter of time before they cancel The Andy Griffith Show too, I guess. 

5 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

They're even going after Paw Patrol. And no, that's not a joke. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts/television/protests-fictional-cops.html

I just saw that earlier today. WTAH??? 

4 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I can’t remember the last time I watched Cops at home. That’s “sitting in a hotel, I can’t find anything else good to watch” television. I didn’t even know they made new episodes. 

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I can’t remember the last time I watched Cops at home. That’s “sitting in a hotel, I can’t find anything else good to watch” television. I didn’t even know they made new episodes. 

That's a fitting description and probably the last time I watched it was in a hotel. This was the 33rd season.

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

LivePD kind of took over the market COPS once dominated. 

I've never been a big fan, but like just about every bit of reality TV out there, it's crack-like in its ability to suck you in. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

I've never been a big fan, but like just about every bit of reality TV out there, it's crack-like in its ability to suck you in. 

Should also note LivePD has also been cancelled. 

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Everyone loves a good trainwreck.......I mean look at us on these forums!! 

3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Everyone loves a good trainwreck.......I mean look at us on these forums!! 

Language warning, because Bill Hicks (of course):

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

Actually, I'd say Sheriff Taylor was prescient when it comes to policing.  ;D

Archived